U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
 
2,059 posts, read 3,395,134 times
Reputation: 945

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
FWIW, 'MI' is Michigan and NOT Missouri.
Missouri is 'MO'.
Montana is 'MT'.

I would advise you to stay in school until you can happily skip and play in 10013
i apologize. In my MBA program i was not required to memorize all 50 state abbreviations.

maybe i should study up on those because it is really important to have all of those memorized

Now, I am wishing for a Charlotte zip. I want to put all of the natives in terror when they see another transplant moving into their city

maybe the jaws theme song will start playing when i am moving my things into my home?

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 04-14-2009 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 PM
 
Location: CLT native
4,282 posts, read 7,174,197 times
Reputation: 2184
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
i apologize. In my MBA program i was not required to memorize all 50 state abbreviations.
Fair enough, but I would think state abbreviations would be learned in junior high, or the 9th grade at the latest.
Do they teach you proper capitalization in your MBA program?
My 2nd grader knows that.

But do not dispair, State abbreviations were also not covered when I was obtaining my Business, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering degrees. I do not have a Masters, but after three degrees just grew tired of "learnin' "

I just recall them from the 6th grade.

Last edited by mullman; 04-14-2009 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
 
2,059 posts, read 3,395,134 times
Reputation: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Fair enough, but I would think state abbreviations would be learned in junior high, or the 9th grade at the latest.

But do not dispair, it was also not covered when I was obtaining my Business, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering degrees. I just recall them from 6th grade.
also, can you blame someone for moving out of michigan

i would want to get the hell out of that state so fast. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: CLT native
4,282 posts, read 7,174,197 times
Reputation: 2184
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
also, can you blame someone for moving out of michigan

i would want to get the hell out of that state so fast. lol
I would never fault anyone for moving to what they perceive is a better life for themselves and their family.
What I do fault is someone moving to an area without knowing anything about it, and then complaining ad infinitum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 PM
 
2,059 posts, read 3,395,134 times
Reputation: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I would never fault anyone for moving to what they perceive is a better life for themselves and their family. What I do fault is someone moving to an area without knowing anything about it.
this is why i am posting in this thread though

you might think like that but others are not coming off like that.

they act like if another transplant moves to charlotte that it will be the end of the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 08:55 PM
 
Location: CLT native
4,282 posts, read 7,174,197 times
Reputation: 2184
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
this is why i am posting in this thread though

you might think like that but others are not coming off like that.

they act like if another transplant moves to charlotte that it will be the end of the world
I do not think that is true.
Locals just lament others moving here and not respecting the culture and the history.
When I visit my inlaws in rural MA (wife) I get immersed in the local history, churches, graveyards, and museums.
I want to learn what is special and historical about the area.
Who lived there?
What did they do?
What are their traditions?

Many move around around the country and could care less as long as there is a McDonalds and Wal-Mart close by.
I think that is sad.

NYC1DAY, my advice to you would be to save a few grand and travel.
On a light budget one can tour the entire US or even Europe on a few thousand.
Take a summer and 'see the world'; see what you really like and dislike.

I have HS and college friends in NYC, some love it, some hated it and left ASAP.
I'm there pretty regularly (last week) and unless I could live pretty well (regular $400K+) would not enjoy it with a family.
I like my big yard, cheaper housing, and nice cars.
It really just depends on what makes you happy.

I love that I can be on the Blue Ridge Parkway in less than 100 miles from my driveway.
Many car and motorcycle peeps drive two days+ for that privilege.
I love that the beach is only a few hours away.
NC/SC can be great, you just have to find out what is important to you.
TRAVEL and decide.

Last edited by mullman; 04-14-2009 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 09:37 PM
 
2,059 posts, read 3,395,134 times
Reputation: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I do not think that is true.
Locals just lament others moving here and not respecting the culture and the history.
When I visit my inlaws in rural MA (wife) I get immersed in the local history, churches, graveyards, and museums.
I want to learn what is special and historical about the area.
Who lived there?
What did they do?
What are their traditions?

Many move around around the country and could care less as long as there is a McDonalds and Wal-Mart close by.
I think that is sad.

NYC1DAY, my advice to you would be to save a few grand and travel.
On a light budget one can tour the entire US or even Europe on a few thousand.
Take a summer and 'see the world'; see what you really like and dislike.

I have HS and college friends in NYC, some love it, some hated it and left ASAP.
I'm there pretty regularly (last week) and unless I could live pretty well (regular $400K+) would not enjoy it with a family.
I like my big yard, cheaper housing, and nice cars.
It really just depends on what makes you happy.

I love that I can be on the Blue Ridge Parkway in less than 100 miles from my driveway.
Many car and motorcycle peeps drive two days+ for that privilege.
I love that the beach is only a few hours away.
NC/SC can be great, you just have to find out what is important to you.
TRAVEL and decide.
transplants should not be forced to enjoy the southern culture though

maybe they are not interested in the southern culture? who knows?

i just got through telling you that my father was in the air force. i have lived/visted every region of the u.s.

i already know the cities that i want to live and i working on getting there right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
462 posts, read 620,373 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
actually, now i do know why i am in this thread

it is wondering why everyone in north carolina has a HATRED for a transplant that comes from another region of the u.s. that is not the south?
Honey, I could give a toot where people come from. I live in Charlotte, a city full of transplants, get along fine with plenty of people from all over the country. You, on the other hand, are known for your venom spewing comments about anything and everything Southern. I understand you don't like this part of the country and that is fine with me, you're fully entitled to your opinion. I just don't see the need for posting comments with no spine in a city to which you really have no connection to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 10:48 PM
 
2,059 posts, read 3,395,134 times
Reputation: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Honey, I could give a toot where people come from. I live in Charlotte, a city full of transplants, get along fine with plenty of people from all over the country. You, on the other hand, are known for your venom spewing comments about anything and everything Southern. I understand you don't like this part of the country and that is fine with me, you're fully entitled to your opinion. I just don't see the need for posting comments with no spine in a city to which you really have no connection to.
i am not known for making rude comments about the south.

there is only 10 cities in the u.s. that i want to live and 3 of them are in the south

and i do have a connection to charlotte. i live in sc. if you are aware it is not to far..... a quick drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
 
1,962 posts, read 2,014,325 times
Reputation: 1282
Overall NC is a lot more southern than Maryland/DC, a little more southern than VA and WV, a little less southern than TN and GA, and a lot less southern than SC, AL, and MS. The Triangle and northeastern NC are least southern parts of the state, and the southwest and southern third of the state is the most southern. Generally, the further south and west you go in NC, the more southern. Consequently, Charlotte is one of the most culturally southern areas of NC and will probably be one of the last places in NC to lose its southern identity.

Last edited by Tarheelhombre; 04-15-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top