U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:55 PM

34,558 posts, read 40,136,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
Hey Ani, your northern friend (long island, no less is stalking you)

So Bless your heart and I'm here to tell you that since I've been here, I love fixin' sausage deer balls caught from my southern neighbor.
I love making pulled pork just as much I love to fix Fried Calamari!!! which i guess is ok since its deep fried anyway
'
LOL! If you are "stalking" me, then that is the type of stalking I hope I am always lucky enuff to be subjected to.

Now, you have one up on me if you have made sausage balls from venison. That is one delicacy I have never eaten or tried to make. Wild meat is not easy to handle. (It can taste awfully nasty if not prepared right). But the pulled pork - if you have mastered that, then you have assimilated. That is at the top of the list for "must do" to become acquainted w/ one of the basics of being a Southerner. Step # 2 . . . can you make fried chicken? I rarely fix it anymore b/c I don't do fried foods, but everyone has to at least know how to make it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Wow Ani, you have been around awhile

When your city gets over 250/500,000 people you lose your ability to be unique. You can't have it both ways really, be big and "cosmo" AND be unique and southern. You don't have to lose your idenity, but don't fear the people coming in. We are the UNITED STATES, that means we are one country and people are free to go as they please in the US. Societies are becoming merged and blurred. Unless you corner yourself off from the world, yes, you will lose the edge.
Well, I guess that makes sense. But not sure. Take New Orleans. No matter how many people move into NO, it won't change the basic flavor and character of that city. So I am not so sure that growth has to equal losing a city's identity.

And yes, we are all Americans, but again - look at other regions around the country. Some have retained their unique regionalism. So I don't see that growth has to equal losing that identity. However, it WILL happen if people don't try to preserve it.

I guess that is what I am talking about. Preservation. Historic preservation of not just buildings and tangible items - but of the folklore and traditions that have been here for nearly 300 years.

Does that make sense? Not that there can't be progress - just not losing the character of the region.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll Kitty Lover View Post
OH NO 5kids! Ani, she meant Bless your heart the northern way, even though we don't say it up north, because it's against someone's rights due to separation of church and state)

Explanation to 5kids: If my friend Teeyim (Tim) told his wife he had to do a whole load of laundry that day while he was home watching TV, his wife (who had just worked an 8 hour day, bathed the child, made the supper, and did 2 loads of laundry the night before) would answer "Well, Bless your heart". (names and problem changed to protect the innocent).
ROFL! See - that is the thing. So much of what is Southern has been diluted and even little things are gonna go by the wayside. At least, it seems that way.

And a lot of things that Southerners say would NOT be considered politically correct in other regions of the country. So . . . people just stop saying it.

When I was living in the midwest, I was talking about a neighbor's bratty child several years back, and I said "I would like to wring his little neck" and I got a lecture about how that implied that I was a violent person and I had better be glad no one was around from my son's school or that type of thing would have made people suspicious that I was an abusive person. I thought - you gotta be kidding me. That is just a Southern expression that I have heard all my life and never thought a thing about - it just expresses exasperation.

So even this type of "colorful expression" is misunderstood and considered politically incorrect these days. This has made Southerners feel they either need to stay somewhat isolated from anyone who is NOT another Southerner, or carefully censor whatever they say. I am sure of this, b/c I have had people tell me this on many occasions - both privately and in groups.

Yet, all these small things are what make the South a quirky, eccentric place to live.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:12 PM

1,367 posts, read 3,364,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Wow Ani, you have been around awhile

When your city gets over 250/500,000 people you lose your ability to be unique. You can't have it both ways really, be big and "cosmo" AND be unique and southern. You don't have to lose your idenity, but don't fear the people coming in. We are the UNITED STATES, that means we are one country and people are free to go as they please in the US. Societies are becoming merged and blurred. Unless you corner yourself off from the world, yes, you will lose the edge.
Hm, I'm not so sure about that. I get what you're saying, but I think there is a way (and some cities have found it) to maintain a unique, vibrant identity rooted in the history of the city, despite expansion and influx of outsiders. I mean, New York, Chicago, San Francisco are all major metropolitan areas but they each have their own culture and identity. I dunno, maybe it has to do with cities "growing up" nowadays as opposed to "growing up" a hundred years ago, I feel like modernization and commercialization are causing a lot of places to loose their "feel" and if the city hasn't already established it's identity it may be harder to do that now.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Whytewulf is exactly right! The problem with Charlotte and its embrace of the "New South" is that nobody has defined what the "New South" is supposed to be. Is it an "antibellum redux and update" or a recreation of the myriad newcomers' concept of a Northern "El Dorado"? Change has hit Charlotte hard and I think both natives and newcomers never know what to expect in terms of its future evolution.

I was up very late the other night and caught a history of Charlotte on one of the PBS stations. It was an eye-opener to say the least! Many of the problems that have been magnified by time, were evident even in its early development. Hodge-podge development was well-noted by the architect of Myers Park back in the teens. He even had a master plan that was ignored by city (non)planners during WW 1. Roads were problems throughout Charlotte's history. 74 and Independence Blvd were obsolete even by the time they were finished. Much of historic Charlotte was blown up or bulldozed long ago in the name of progress. It must be distressing for older residents of Charlotte to see how much of it has been "californicated" into its present state. To them, Joni Mitchell's "they paved Paradise and put up a parking lot", must ring all too true!
Interesting comment, EM. Don't get me wrong. I have never felt that connected to Charlotte and there are plenty of things about CLT that I have never liked - and never will, LOL. I feel very connected to western NC in general, tho - especially the rural areas.

I think that is an accurate statement - that no one is sure what this city's future will be. I surely don't think a NASCAR museum embodies what Charlotte is all about - but then - I never felt that being dubbed the "second largest banking center in America" fit it, either. And evidently, it didn't really fit cause that is all over now!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Hm, I'm not so sure about that. I get what you're saying, but I think there is a way (and some cities have found it) to maintain a unique, vibrant identity rooted in the history of the city, despite expansion and influx of outsiders. I mean, New York, Chicago, San Francisco are all major metropolitan areas but they each have their own culture and identity. I dunno, maybe it has to do with cities "growing up" nowadays as opposed to "growing up" a hundred years ago, I feel like modernization and commercialization are causing a lot of places to loose their "feel" and if the city hasn't already established it's identity it may be harder to do that now.
YES! Thanks for weighing in on this. Cause that was my line of thinking, too. Regionalism and unique identity.

Maybe Charlotte has never had much of a unique identity other than being a Revolutionary War town that grew bigger. I just don't know. Charlotte never has felt like a city to me, anyway. Just a town that has grown into a bigger town.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:56 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,730,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
When I was living in the midwest, I was talking about a neighbor's bratty child several years back, and I said "I would like to wring his little neck" and I got a lecture about how that implied that I was a violent person and I had better be glad no one was around from my son's school or that type of thing would have made people suspicious that I was an abusive person. I thought - you gotta be kidding me. That is just a Southern expression that I have heard all my life and never thought a thing about - it just expresses exasperation.
ani - That expression was common everywhere when I was growing up. I'm sure even my mother applied it to me a few times! Maybe I'm just getting "old" and there's a plethora of Gen Xer's and Y's that believe their little darlings are all "angels"....(Not!!!) I'm just of those people who believe "If the shoe fits, Cinderella"..."wear it"!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:06 PM

5,147 posts, read 4,586,688 times
Maybe the title of your posting should have been "my identity" and not "Charlotte's identity"? Here's what I mean: You are who you are and have an identity w/the south. The traditions. Your families's history...and more. If the "identity" of Charlotte become " X " why do you need to adapt? What do you care? Certaintly the identity that CLT has achieved is no way close to who you are. So, don't fight it.Who cares?

I'm an American born Italian. Born and raised in the streets of NY. Do you think I gave a rat's axe everytime some starlett comes to NY for fame and fortune has something to say about some crackhead liberal way of life??
I have NO loss of identity what so ever. Do you think that when some trendy restaurant has lines out the door is pimped to me as the greatest Italian rest.known to man I am going to listen to some 30 year old hipster convience me that it's "gospel"?

No need to change your identity to fit the masses.Be who you are.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Maybe the title of your posting should have been "my identity" and not "Charlotte's identity"? Here's what I mean: You are who you are and have an identity w/the south. The traditions. Your families's history...and more. If the "identity" of Charlotte become " X " why do you need to adapt? What do you care? Certaintly the identity that CLT has achieved is no way close to who you are. So, don't fight it.Who cares?

I'm an American born Italian. Born and raised in the streets of NY. Do you think I gave a rat's axe everytime some starlett comes to NY for fame and fortune has something to say about some crackhead liberal way of life??
I have NO loss of identity what so ever. Do you think that when some trendy restaurant has lines out the door is pimped to me as the greatest Italian rest.known to man I am going to listen to some 30 year old hipster convience me that it's "gospel"?

No need to change your identity to fit the masses.Be who you are.
Nope, this has nothing to do with MY identity. I have lived other places and altho I tried to fit in and learn the customs of the locals, I also enjoyed sharing my background with others. For example, every year I had a Southern Thanksgiving and Christmas and invited friends/neighbors in to share a Williamsburg/Charleston/Savannah type Christmas. (NOTE: I didn't say Charlotte, LOL). W'burg, Charleston and Savannah have identities as 18th C rooted cities. But for some reason - even tho Charlotte is an 18th C city - and lots of interesting Rev War history - it really does not share that identity w/ those other cities.

My own personal history remains my own history regardless of where I live. I do not associate myself w/ Charlotte as much as Boone/Blowing Rock. My family is from N. Meck and Iredell but I have spent more years in the mountains and foothills than the Piedmont.

What I am talking about is preserving the overall particularly Southern characteristics of Charlotte and the western part of NC in general.

This is not the Southern town it was 20 years ago. It is something else now - not sure what.

For those of you who have spent a lot of time in Savannah and Charleston, perhaps you know what I am saying - that Charlotte doesn't really feel Southern anymore - not on the level that C'ton and Savannah are Southern.

DNAOMI and RAGDOLL hit on what I am trying to express. And some interesting insights, as well - re: whether the identity can be established at this point - if it isn't already established. That is exactly what I am wondering about. I mean - when you say - "name some cities that have that total Southern feel" you don't think of Charlotte - you think of Charleston, Savannah - maybe even Augusta, GA. But not Charlotte.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,385,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
So Bless your heart and I'm here to tell you that since I've been here, I love fixin' sausage deer balls caught from my southern neighbor.

I know I've been known to make a wiseacre remark on here from time to time. This time I'm quite serious.

What the hell are sausage deer balls and is it no wonder they sound so unappetizing?

Or is this something I'm really missing out on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte