U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:38 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,841,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Seeing as how I am off on a tangent today . . . I thought I would express something that has been on my mind.

I love being a Southerner. I truly do. And I love being a Southerner w/ roots back to the founding of this country.

I love the things that make the South "different" from the other sections of this country.

I love my Southern accent. Sometimes, I exaggerate it just for fun. There are so many different Southern accents. There are many in each state, actually. The Tidewater (VA) accent is very different from the Charleston (low country) accent and the western NC mountain accent is very different than the upper crust Savannah accent . . .

I love them all.

And I love the fact that we Southerners have traditions and rites of passage that are singular to the South. I love the myths of the South as well as the down and dirty realities.

Yes. I love being a Southerner.

You know what else gives me a lot of pleasure? I so enjoy it when others move here and they bring different things with them. Different accents, different recipes!!! Different traditions . . . something more to add to the quality of life here.

I really love to introduce my friends to the South. I enjoy explaining the trashy South, the conservative South, the blue blood South. I like telling people that many of the things they think are myths are actually fact! Like . . . all good Southern girls really do collect sterling silver starting in high school. And that you must not be a "real" Southerner if the first gift you were given for your "trousseau" wasn't an iron skillet, preferably one inherited from Grandmother's estate.

What worries me is . . . w/ so many newcomers, we Southerners are isolating ourselves and not sharing our traditions. I want everyone to know what it means to have lived here and been part of this way of life here for nearly 300 years. I want them to know about the Scots and Germans and Irish and Swiss who moved here . . . and how they shaped this state and how their beliefs and traditions STILL shape family life here.

I see so much of that being lost. I see newcomers arriving and dismissing anything that doesn't match up with their own traditions. Now, I don't see this w/ my friends, of course. I want to know about their backgrounds and learn their traditions, what they grew up doing and learning - and they want to know about my life. But I so fear that we are losing the attachment to the very things that make Charlotte "southern."

It isn't that I expect or would even want others to embrace all the small things that make life here different from other areas. But I just don't want to see it all fade away and be lost. And I don't want it to be misunderstood.

Charlotte has become the Gateway to the South. I think Richmond wants to claim that title and 150 years ago, I think that was accurate. Today, Richmond may be a front door to the South, perhaps, but it isn't the gateway.

I want to preserve the quirky things about NC and the South. I see these things being pushed aside . . . Yet, the newcomers I talk to WANT to know what makes the South different.

I just wonder . . . as we become more and more the Gateway to the South, are we losing the very identity that allows us to call ourselves Southerners?
I love this post. I love the honesty and heart in it. It makes me sad when others put down our traditions, flags, etc. as something that should not have been. My family has been here since colonial times too and I am proud to be a Southerner too.

Our Southern identity will be here just as long as you are I are alive and guess what? We had two Southern children. Two of my grandchildren are being brought up as Southern Belles too. One started out being Southern and she is beautiful and I love her, but she is a Northern Virginia chick with the cell phone glued to her hand and the text clicking along.

Do you think our parents thought the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I know I've been known to make a wiseacre remark on here from time to time. This time I'm quite serious.

What the hell are sausage deer balls and is it no wonder they sound so unappetizing?

Or is this something I'm really missing out on.
ROFL! I have no idea - I think she was referring to venison made into sausage balls. Just never have heard of anyone making venison sausage. Sausage is usually made from meats that have more fat content than venison, wh/ is very lean meat. My family was not into hunting, altho I did have plenty of neighbors who were deer hunters. But never knew of anyone making venison sausage.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:05 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ROFL! I have no idea - I think she was referring to venison made into sausage balls. Just never have heard of anyone making venison sausage. Sausage is usually made from meats that have more fat content than venison, wh/ is very lean meat. My family was not into hunting, altho I did have plenty of neighbors who were deer hunters. But never knew of anyone making venison sausage.

It's not even the sausage. It's more like the deer balls that has me really curious.

And not the least bit hungry, either.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I love this post. I love the honesty and heart in it. It makes me sad when others put down our traditions, flags, etc. as something that should not have been. My family has been here since colonial times too and I am proud to be a Southerner too.
Thank you, NCN. I was feeling that I should not have written it cause it seems what I wrote is being misunderstood. I guess only a Southerner would understand what it means to be a Southerner, LOL. What many people think means "Southerner" is often based on stereotypes. Of course, some of the stereotypes are based on fact, LOL.

Southerners, whether good old boys or white collar professionals, are a very romantic bunch. We love our oral tradition and our history. We love the quirkiness of our communities and the people whose eccentricities make those communities colorful. It seems to me that in many areas, we have lost the ability to revel in eccentric behaviors and instead, people are quick to disparage and quick to sue, LOL. If you don't like your neighbor's actions, call the police! Sue 'em! Just seems to me there is a lack of tolerance, wh/ once was the hallmark of being Southern.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
It's not even the sausage. It's more like the deer balls that has me really curious.

And not the least bit hungry, either.
LOL! Well, when I was a kid, all the guys in the neighborhood liked to joke about Rocky Mountain oysters. I didn't figure out what they were talking about til I was in high school. So for all I know . . . maybe it is a delicacy along those same lines.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:04 PM

285 posts, read 712,118 times
I've never used deer until I moved here, and its just sausage made into little meatballs, with cheese and bisquick.

and when we first moved here, my son was dared to eat a heelsplitter. Yeah now we know they are endangered, and did he ever get really sick

Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 PM

285 posts, read 712,118 times
and it was from my neighbors kill, not something that I was accustomed to,

Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,111,325 times
Well, Ani, here is another northern opinion:

I agree that too much of Charlotte's history and identity are gone. Gone via the wrecking ball, I fear. There was another post awhile ago that had lovely photos of Charlotte in the early 1900's and they made ME sad. Sad that all that history is gone. Sad that so much of what made Charlotte what it was can never be replaced.

went to the Museum of the New South a couple of months ago and they had this great exhibit showing the history of Charlotte. This was SO INTERESTING. But, the evidence of this is pretty much gone in present-day Charlotte.

I think that a lot of it has to come down to what John said; people like you that have your identity and your history; you just can't allow anyone take that away from you. I know that was not what you meant, but, honestly, that is what it has come to. Charlotte is not strictly Southern, but, it sure isn't Northern either. Maybe just a blend. So, to impart the Southern ways, we need people like yourself to teach those of us who are not from here. It really will not come from being in Charlotte.

I have spent a lot of time in Charleston, Savannah and lived in Beaufort, SC for many years. Visually, they are, indeed, more Southern (antebellum). But, I cannot say that I felt like I was in a Southern area any more than here

Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
I've never used deer until I moved here, and its just sausage made into little meatballs, with cheese and bisquick.

and when we first moved here, my son was dared to eat a heelsplitter. Yeah now we know they are endangered, and did he ever get really sick
What on earth is a "heelsplitter?" Never heard of this.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, Ani, here is another northern opinion:

I agree that too much of Charlotte's history and identity are gone. Gone via the wrecking ball, I fear. There was another post awhile ago that had lovely photos of Charlotte in the early 1900's and they made ME sad. Sad that all that history is gone. Sad that so much of what made Charlotte what it was can never be replaced.

went to the Museum of the New South a couple of months ago and they had this great exhibit showing the history of Charlotte. This was SO INTERESTING. But, the evidence of this is pretty much gone in present-day Charlotte.

I think that a lot of it has to come down to what John said; people like you that have your identity and your history; you just can't allow anyone take that away from you. I know that was not what you meant, but, honestly, that is what it has come to. Charlotte is not strictly Southern, but, it sure isn't Northern either. Maybe just a blend. So, to impart the Southern ways, we need people like yourself to teach those of us who are not from here. It really will not come from being in Charlotte.

I have spent a lot of time in Charleston, Savannah and lived in Beaufort, SC for many years. Visually, they are, indeed, more Southern (antebellum). But, I cannot say that I felt like I was in a Southern area any more than here
Yeah, the wrecking ball. And a lot was gone long b/f I was around to see it. I have never thought Charlotte was a "charming" city. Now, there are lovely areas around the city, but as far as "uptown" - most of the neat architecture was gone even b/f I was born.

Charlotte doesn't have much that says "you are now in the South." DC has more stuff that feels Southern to me than Charlotte has. Arlington (National Cemetery) is very Southern. And there are so many beautiful Rev War and Civil War era statues in DC. Plus - the 18th C architecture. I don't know what has happened to Charlotte. Lousy decisions by planners, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte