U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:26 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,730,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
But nobody likes the Observer
How about Creative Loafing or the Lake Norman paper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 01:48 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
After reading I am this thread, first I am happy to fellowship with true Charlotteans. Also, I am a graduate of West Charlotte High, and I can tell you there that the history of Charlotte has not been lost. As far as comments about Charlotte being a banking city, it's been a banking town! This is not a new phenomenon. We got a Federal Reserve branch in the early 20th century as well as a mint in the late 19th century, the site of Mint Museum. That is one mistake I think we Charlotteeans make. Charlotte has been an established banking town for quite some time. I think much of the old character of Charlotte is still around. Take a look at Beatties Ford, Historic South End, and NoDa for some examples. I think what may be the problem is Charlotte is in a transition period. We are transforming from a medium sized town into more of a global center. I will use growing an afro as an example. There is what is called the "nappy" stage. Your hair is really matty, knotty, and kinky. It is quite an ugly stage but if you keep your hair growing, the afro turns out quite right. Charlotte is probably experiencing this. It may look like it is losing its southern character in all this new development but after a while it will smooth out.
Charlotte is the "New South." As a Black male some things I am glad Charlotte has moved on from and I particularly do not like the Confederate flag because it means something else other than Southern pride to me. But I still believe Charlotte to be Southern and kept its Southern tradition. Is it Charleston? No! That is a different type of Southern. Is it Atlanta? That is a different type of Southern. Charlotte is more of progressive heterogenous type of South, but in and of the South nevertheless.
I always enjoy your posts so much. Fresh and enlightening. Thank you for making some great points! I like your description of Charlotte - heterogenous. I also appreciate what you said about the Confederate Battle flag and I agree - it has b/cm an inflammatory symbol and it serves no purpose to fly it (unless you are just trying to upset people).

Thanks for pointing out the info about the mint/gold and the Fed Reserve. Good to keep that in context.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:51 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,730,633 times
Although I agree that Charlotte is a progressive city. Charlotte is in the south but would be progressive regardless of its geographical location. I have lived in Minnesota, New York, Nebraska, California, and Colorado. Charlotte is more progressive than most cities for which I am familiar in all of these states. It isn't that Charlotte is part of the New South, it is part of the new U.S. Charlotte is geographically a southern city. We are destict from others as evidenced by accents, etc. Everyone I know that is from Charlotte is insulted when it is referred to as anything other. It seems that too many northerners can't seem to shake the "southern" label and stereotypes. ADAVI, you presented a nice posting. I actually hang a Confederate flag in my garage. I like it. To me it represents my relatives that fought in the Civil War because they were invaded by an overpowering force. They lived in Yadkin County and had no issues with slavery of blacks. They proudly fought for the south. I am proud of them. Two became famed officers that will always be in history books. They could care less about slavery.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,290,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
That made me realize, good/bad/indifferent, just as Ani is very proud of her heritage (and rightly so, I might add), I also needed to be proud of who I am. No, I am not "too much of a Yankee"...because I was never a Yankee to begin with...but, maybe I AM "too much of a Chicagoan". That eye-opening trip was about 10 years ago now.

I'm fiercely proud of being from New Jersey. For all it's extreme corruption (yes, I know each state has it at various levels) there's no place I'd rather say I was born and lived in. I live for New Jersey success stories and love seeing some average guy from Jersey do us proud. I still have a ton of New Jersey in me. By the same token I've had people tell me that I have an ability to blend in or adapt to many different environments. It's not a matter of "who do I have to be to match this environment", it just seems to come out naturally, like it's just a part of who I am. I know I'm probably "too much of a New Jerseyan" at heart and would never consider myself a southerner....but I live here and I enjoy everything that the south has to offer. I may say, "I wish there was an NHL team close by for Rangers games" or insist, "You really gotta try a Stash's from Kearny sub sandwich", but that's only me looking back in fondness. Because by the same token I can go back to New Jersey and say, "Man, you gotta see a race at the Lowes" or, "it's so much fun visiting various race shops or seeing daybreak over Coddle Creek".

I'm damn proud of where I came from but I'm also damn proud of where I live right now. My heart may lie in New Jersey but I'll defend both states with equal ferocity.

I guess it's a balancing act of looking back at what you had while not being disparaging over the fact that it's not here where you are now. It's easy for some, not easy for others, but in time I figure most learn how to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, along the lines of what Brian was saying (and, I still think that we are long-lost relatives somewhere down the road )...

Just as long as it's your side of the family and not mine.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,290,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
How about Creative Loafing or the Lake Norman paper?

Aren't they both going under?

Or at least one's going under and the other filed for BK?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:22 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,102,095 times
While we're on the subject of Charlotte and the area's history/culture, does anyone have any good books about they area's history that you would recommend? I'd sure like to read about how the area was originally settled, and how it's changed!

Old 04-04-2009, 06:59 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,134,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
While we're on the subject of Charlotte and the area's history/culture, does anyone have any good books about they area's history that you would recommend? I'd sure like to read about how the area was originally settled, and how it's changed!
You should actually go to the Museum of the New South. The exhibit there shows the history complete with examples!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:08 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,057,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'm damn proud of where I came from but I'm also damn proud of where I live right now. My heart may lie in New Jersey but I'll defend both states with equal ferocity.

I guess it's a balancing act of looking back at what you had while not being disparaging over the fact that it's not here where you are now. It's easy for some, not easy for others, but in time I figure most learn how to.
Great post, Brian.
I think the difference is between your attitude and people who move here and want CLT to be the next Borough or complaining about how CLT is not NY/NJ/OH or ATL - It's Charlotte. It's my hometown, and after globetrotting it is where I returned to raise my family. I like the low cost of living, climate, proximity to the mountains and coast. I love that next Sunday my kids will go to an annual family reunion (always Easter Sunday) on the old family farm that has been happening for 125+ years. We eat at the house that my great grandmother's parents built (obviously we have restored it).

I took a ride today on one of the bikes and ended up at a cemetery where my great-grandmother is buried.
I spent a moment reflecting on our great times together and how wonderful she was.
A few steps over is where her great-grandfather is buried and I do remember her telling me stories of him.
I love that my roots are here, and can't imagine not being able to share such things with my children.

Do people not want to be near family anymore - their history, will it all be forgotten?
Is money the only goal?

I just get tired of people moving here and complaining about what we are not.

Last edited by mullman; 04-04-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 07:37 PM

22,006 posts, read 27,299,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
There's a ton of good history sources online. I'd start with the USGenweb.

Welcome to North Carolina & The NCGenWeb Project

I'll be more than happy to give you more sources. Really, it's better to get a foundation first with the free history sources online & then go for the nitty gritty in books.

These will help, too.

The Old Wagon Road

Map of the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road

The Scots-Irish From Ulster and The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road

Old 04-04-2009, 08:33 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,189,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What worries me is . . . w/ so many newcomers, we Southerners are isolating ourselves and not sharing our traditions. I want everyone to know what it means to have lived here and been part of this way of life here for nearly 300 years. I want them to know about the Scots and Germans and Irish and Swiss who moved here . . . and how they shaped this state and how their beliefs and traditions STILL shape family life here.
Well, I would consider Charlotte a lost cause. Even when we were transplanted down here 20 years ago, the joke was that meeting a native Charlottean was like sighting a Bigfoot - they are rumored to exist, but the sightings are rare and not documented enough to prove their existence IMO, in places like Charlotte and Raleigh you'll find southern roots and lore in the libraries and exhibits and would be hard-pressed to find a lot of people with those root memories.

As a transplant who was always more interested in the natives than other people who moved down here, I tell others with the same interest that they'll have to get away from the metro areas to meet the southerners who shaped the state up to the point where we transplants began flooding in. For me, it's always when I've been out on my motorcycle. With topo maps in hand; bottled water and snackies tucked in a saddlebag, and my camera; I hit the back roads. Stopping to take pictures like this

(Ummm, motorcycle windshield got in the way of that one . I'm gratified to say that where I was at, it was so quiet and peaceful, I was able to stand there in the road for several minutes, working to get a good shot)

and politely talking to people, you'll hear stories and learn about the area.

If, as a native NCer with generations behind you, you are worried about the identity of this state being diluted, you ought to make it a project to write all this down. However, keep in mind that everyone is a transplant to this state, you just have to go back a few generations to find the name of the family who moved down here with a horse and wagon vs a U-Haul A good example of that would be Daniel Boone. Since he once lived in the area where I now reside, and moved around this part of the country several times before finally leaving (he leaves his mark in Rowan, Davie, and Wilkes counties and was known for 'long hunting' in the triangle area of NC/TN/VA) it has been interesting to mark those locations as best as one can on a map, then go check them out. Note that, as a transplant, his family wasn't exactly given a kind welcome by the natives either (the Indian kind of native). They had their own methods of showing how unwelcome Dan'l was by driving him to hide in a cave (Boone's Cave - now a park on the Rowan side of the Yadkin River), or take refuge at Fort Dobbs.

Understanding your concern, Ani, I consider we transplants as a fairly bland lot. We don't add much to the area except subdivisions, crowded roads and Big Box stores. Jobs - certainly - it's been the economic migration that has created work to replace the textile mills/farms/tobacco industry, but I don't find a whole lot that is interesting in the impact. I guess that's why I like to get out and explore more of the rural areas/old history than what's around the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte