U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 PM

18 posts, read 40,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
There are all these schools b/c the population demands it. It's very hard to get into these schools. The top 3 (Latin , Prov. Day, Country Day) only have about a 30% acceptance rate and I know people have been on waiting lists for years.

How do you choose? Well each has their own "niche" so you'll find out when you take a tour. Most people pretty much know which is for them once they take the tour etc.
So you're saying these schools only take 30% of the applicants? There are 7 families willing to pay 20 grand per family that don't get in out of every 10? I can hardly comprehend that. CLT is not that populated of an area.

And these schools aren't cheap! In LA, you can go to some high priced academies, but most private schools here are in the 5k to 7k range, with high schools being 10-14k.

We're taking 4 tours while we're back there in a couple of weeks. It's crazy stuff.

As for public vs. private, that's a huge debate in itself. I know there's a lot of great public schools, and you can't beat the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,034,489 times
Legacy children should have a greater chance of acceptance, but my neighbor who went to Providence Day for 12 years, had a hard time getting his son into the same school he attended. FWIW his wife spent 13 years at Country Day. Believe it or not there are many natives around...

I feel fortunate that my children attend the same school I graduated from which was also on your list.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 PM

1,190 posts, read 3,635,181 times
Default reply

The honest and correct answer is that many private schools were a direct result of guvmunt forced integration/bussing back in the 70's. Many white parents at that time did not want their kids going to schools with black kids and thus many private schools were formed. Further south at that time, white flight created many towns that were a direct result of integration. NC's annexation laws were unfavorable to these new white flight towns springing up in NC.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,034,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
The honest and correct answer is that many private schools were a direct result of guvmunt forced integration/bussing back in the 70's. Many white parents at that time did not want their kids going to schools with black kids and thus many private schools were formed. Further south at that time, white flight created many towns that were a direct result of integration. NC's annexation laws were unfavorable to these new white flight towns springing up in NC.
I would disagree with the racial tone of this post.
The older private schools have been around for 40-50+ years, Country Day since 1941.

Some people just see too much waste in the large system, there is nothing racial about it.
My daughter's best friend at school is a precious black girl, and it never really crosses my mind until I read a post like this insinuating private schools are for 'white-flighters'.
There are plenty of African American families at our school for the same reasons we are.

Last edited by mullman; 04-05-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 04-05-2009, 06:44 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,659,734 times
[quote=Nutbeem;8193815]So you're saying these schools only take 30% of the applicants? There are 7 families willing to pay 20 grand per family that don't get in out of every 10? I can hardly comprehend that. CLT is not that populated of an area.

Don't assume that just because you have the ability to pay $17k/year automatically gets your child into private school here.
We tried to get our son into Providence Day and he was not accepted. At the Open House they mentioned a story where a father wrote a $10k donation check to administration (it was assumed that this was done to influence acceptence). Needless to say the child did not get in and the school returned the check.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:37 PM

797 posts, read 2,979,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbeem View Post
So you're saying these schools only take 30% of the applicants? There are 7 families willing to pay 20 grand per family that don't get in out of every 10? I can hardly comprehend that. CLT is not that populated of an area.

And these schools aren't cheap! In LA, you can go to some high priced academies, but most private schools here are in the 5k to 7k range, with high schools being 10-14k.

We're taking 4 tours while we're back there in a couple of weeks. It's crazy stuff.

As for public vs. private, that's a huge debate in itself. I know there's a lot of great public schools, and you can't beat the price.
yes, it's true. If you go onto the private school review it will give you the acceptance rate or when you take a tour they should tell you. It's VERY hard to get in. I'm a native and know first hand. I know TONS of families who have been on the waiting list for years to get their kids in. The top three private schools are about $13-$15k a year starting. Yes , that's right $13k for kindergarden! Charlotte has about 600,000 people and private schools are very popular here.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:52 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbeem View Post

Yes, there are people here w/ that level of income who can afford private school.

I have family members who attended Country Day. I agree - being a legacy child will help w/ entrance but it does not guarantee entrance. In addition, the private schools do have some scholarship $$ available, but again - that is a very competitive situation.

Another poster tried to insinuate something about integration and I personally find that very offensive. Those of us who have been here for nearly 300 years and know the development of these schools can attest that this is NOT why these private schools were established.

As far as wondering about the wealth in this region, I think most people would be very surprised how many families here would rank in the upper 1% of the most wealthy people in the nation. Then if you expand that to the upper 5%, that groups comprises a rather large number of people. I personally know many families w/ very impressive assets who live lives that would NOT suggest to the outside world just how wealthy they are. What you SEE is not always what you GET here in western NC, LOL.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:12 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,537,570 times
Well, we are from southern California and were seriously considering a move to Charlotte a couple years ago. We applied to Charlotte Latin and Providence Day Schools, toured, sent in all the paperwork, had kids tested and went back for the day visit. We ended up really wanting Charlotte Latin - just felt right to us and my girls loved it. They were accepted into Providence Day but were put on the waiting list at Charlotte Latin. We ended up not moving to Charlotte. My youngest daughter scored in the 99th % on Charlotte Latin's entrance/I.Q. exams for first grade and my oldest daughter (4th grade) is now in our gifted and talented program. But still, they were on the waiting list for Charlotte Latin. So, yes, it is true that there is an incredible demand for these schools. I also believe there is a preference for locals. BTW, the public school in the South Charlotte neighborhood where we were looking also seemed great. I believe it was called Providence Spring. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM

830 posts, read 1,315,208 times
From what I've seen, the elite private schools here are cheaper than in other cities where I've lived. $20K+ is not an unusual price tab for prep schools (day-only, not boarding) for other cities on the East Coast and some in the Midwest.

Generally, the parochial schools associated with the Catholic church - Jesuit, Christian Brothers, La Salle, etc are at least 50% cheaper.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:33 PM

755 posts, read 2,241,935 times
My children attended Charlotte Latin until we moved last year. Yes. It was expensive. Tuition increased 50% from the time my daughter started Pre-K until she was in 6th grade, but I loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte