U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2007, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail, NC
395 posts, read 1,007,002 times
Reputation: 126

Advertisements

How does it compare when you examine the salary here & cost of living here, vs salary in other places & cost of living there? I don't think I worded my question well, but that's the best I could do--- I hope you understand what I'm asking!

Last edited by 3johnsons; 05-30-2007 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: trying to clarify my question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2007, 08:08 PM
 
122 posts, read 347,250 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
How does it compare when you examine the salary here & cost of living here, vs salary in other places & cost of living there? I don't think I worded my question well, but that's the best I could do--- I hope you understand what I'm asking!
I'm still in Southern California (Pasadena) and I am no expert on the cost of living in NC, but I can tell you that small homes in poor to fair condition in the poorest section of Pasadena are going for between 450k and 650k and condo's start at around 300k. It is very difficult, maybe impossible, for someone on a teachers salary to become a first time homebuyer without a windfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2007, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,375 posts, read 4,703,552 times
Reputation: 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOUND123 View Post
I'm still in Southern California (Pasadena) and I am no expert on the cost of living in NC, but I can tell you that small homes in poor to fair condition in the poorest section of Pasadena are going for between 450k and 650k and condo's start at around 300k. It is very difficult, maybe impossible, for someone on a teachers salary to become a first time homebuyer without a windfall.
So is it worth considering moving here, to take what may amount to a significant ($25K) pay cut- but still be able to buy your own home? I'm only asking because I think on average, for most teachers I've talked, it simply wasn't enough of a draw (housing) to compensate for a significant pay cut. Atlanta seems to be doing a much better job at attracting teacher out of state teachers IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
 
87 posts, read 223,811 times
Reputation: 27
I believe it. Atlanta's pay is more comparable to what they are paying up nort/east.

Its horrible to have low pay, pay for your health insurance, be taxed to death and on top of that you don't get a lunch break to yourself because you have to eat with your kids and watch them at recess (elementary).

I didnt choose Atlanta because it was just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to big for me. I'm working on my national board certification and that pays an incentive of 10k extra a year, which would put me a little closer to what i'm making up North.

With the cost of Charlotte not being to different than Cleveland area, a pay cut so drastic .... I dont know whats going on or why teachers dont make more here.

But I still love your city... well soon to be my city when my townhome is complete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2007, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,375 posts, read 4,703,552 times
Reputation: 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejanelle1 View Post
I believe it. Atlanta's pay is more comparable to what they are paying up nort/east.

Its horrible to have low pay, pay for your health insurance, be taxed to death and on top of that you don't get a lunch break to yourself because you have to eat with your kids and watch them at recess (elementary).

I didnt choose Atlanta because it was just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to big for me. I'm working on my national board certification and that pays an incentive of 10k extra a year, which would put me a little closer to what i'm making up North.

With the cost of Charlotte not being to different than Cleveland area, a pay cut so drastic .... I dont know whats going on or why teachers dont make more here.

But I still love your city... well soon to be my city when my townhome is complete

Well that's pretty much what I was attempting to pull out- that for some, there's *still* enough of a draw, despite money/salary, that makes Charlotte appealing- which is a good thing also. The intangeables are still worth something.

Well good luck on the townhome and remember to get an inspector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2007, 12:19 PM
 
122 posts, read 347,250 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
So is it worth considering moving here, to take what may amount to a significant ($25K) pay cut- but still be able to buy your own home? I'm only asking because I think on average, for most teachers I've talked, it simply wasn't enough of a draw (housing) to compensate for a significant pay cut. Atlanta seems to be doing a much better job at attracting teacher out of state teachers IMO.
I think it depends on where you're moving from. It probably is worth the move if you're coming from a state like California where the cost of living and home prices are out of site. California has really become a state of the haves and have nots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2007, 10:00 PM
 
Location: long island, ny
146 posts, read 443,768 times
Reputation: 120
An art teacher who abruptly canceled classes and locked his door at Bruns Avenue Elementary on Monday was charged with having heroin and drug paraphernalia at school...

Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

How about random drug test for teachers, we do it for the police?

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
 
87 posts, read 223,811 times
Reputation: 27
kind of off topic... relevance? not to be mean, not sure why it was posted here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2007, 06:20 PM
 
174 posts, read 22,670 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOUND123 View Post
California has really become a state of the haves and have nots.
We are becoming a NATION of haves and have nots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top