Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,472 times

Advertisements

Apparently it's written in stone. Wikipedia has an article on it, so it must be true!

Trump Charlotte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM

53 posts, read 104,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Does anyone know if the Trump Towers are in fact coming to Charlotte? You think if we got a petition in Charlotte to bring it here that might work? Just curious cuz I would really like to see the skyline expand and rival Atlanta.
Charlotte's Skyline will not be able to rival Atlanta's. Charlotte's skyline is growing but Atlanta's is much much bigger and also continuing to expand. But it might be able to one day not in my lifetime.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,551,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocca25 View Post
Charlotte's Skyline will not be able to rival Atlanta's. Charlotte's skyline is growing but Atlanta's is much much bigger and also continuing to expand. But it might be able to one day not in my lifetime.
We lived in Atlanta for years...depending on which Atlanta Skyline you are talking about.

Downtown is not that big.
Midtown is just as big as Downtown if not larger.
Buckhead is almost as big as downtown.

If they had all there buildings together...it would be VERY nice!

No reason to compare Charlotte to Atlanta. Charlotte is Charlotte and Atlanta is Atlanta.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I agree!!!. I see uptown growing into a very popular tourist destination in the next 5 to 10 years. That has been the direction of Uptown as of late. Charlotte is already the country's 26th most visited city ahead of cities like Fort Lauderdale!!!
America's 30 Most Visited Cities - ForbesTraveler.com (http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-lists/most-visited-us-cities-story-1.html - broken link)
In the coming years, Charlotte is sure to move up on this list and the need for more hotel/condo developments will increase. I am positive Charlotte's next tallest tower will be a hotel/condo combo. It is just a matter of time. I think the days of tall office buildings in Charlotte will be coming to an end soon. The good news is that the development of mid and low rise buildings will continue in Charlotte for years to come. This is the kind of skyline mid and low rise buildings give a city.

Believe it or not, every tower you see above in Vancouver is shorter than the Hearst tower!!! If Charlotte would focus on quantity of towers rather than quality, this photo could be Charlotte one day. BTW, Charlotte's CSA metro population is identical to Vancouver's. Both cities are roughly 2.3 million each in that department. The difference is that Vancouver's city population of 600,000 is packed into 44 sq/mi of land. Charlotte's 685,000 is spread out over 280 sq/mi of land. Vancouver is also one of the most expensive cities in the World to live.

I guess the trick would be to make Charlotte look like Vancouver, yet still be cheap to live in...

Either way, I'd much rather live in a city I can afford rather than a city that is cool to look at (and so expensive, I would be living in my car LOL!!!)

I See Atlanta sits very well on this list

Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocca25 View Post
I will keep hope alive.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 AM

236 posts, read 695,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I See Atlanta sits very well on this list
Because of conventions...the list, like all lists of the sort are BS

Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
I think some of Blabber's finer points are being missed.

I was in Orlando this past weekend, and was awed by their Convention Center, wh/ is truly awesome. Charlotte may attract 16 M visitors but Orlando attracts 50 M annually. If I were to choose a place to hold a large convention, would I opt for Charlotte in January or Orlando in January? Tourists are not the only visitors to a city . . . business events and conventions attract visitors who are often on expense accounts and entertaining clients, as well, wh/ means big $$$ being spent in the destination city.

Charlotte is NOT a tourist destination. Since the 18th Century, Charlotte has been a business destination. I think our city fathers have lost site of that crucial fact. Charlotte is a business center, not an entertainment center. We should be building on that centuries-old established reputation as a business center.

Of course, any sort of entertainment is only going to support Charlotte as a business destination FIRST. Fine restaurants, upscale clubs, live music of different types, venues, concerts, etc. all fit into that pictures. But we also need interesting galleries and expansive museums to support being BOTH a business and tourist destination.

Think about visiting another city on business and having free time. Think of DC, for example. I never have enuff time to visit all the galleries there, much less go to the National Cathedral, Botanical Gardens, or travel to nearby destinations such as Mt. Vernon. A person can stay busy just touring Galleries or National Monuments. Same for Orlando. Same for Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco, etc.

Looking for a "gimic" such as an aquarium to attract visitors to Charlotte is sheer nonsense. We need to build on the business aspect and the fine restaurants and entertainment will naturally follow. We already have decent shopping, but it still isn't Orlando or Atlanta. And please don't forget - a lot of client entertainment (in big corps) goes on at country clubs and golf courses here.

My point is . . . Trump in Charlotte would be exactly the type of construction we need. Upscale, well appointed and a destination in itself. We conduct business in CLT and keeping those visitors comfortable and interested in returning is what our city was built on and is how our city will continue to grow in the future. The rest is icing on the cake.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 PM

236 posts, read 695,309 times
Thanks for the props Anifani...I owe you a beer.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabber View Post
Thanks for the props Anifani...I owe you a beer.
And I will take you up on the offer, LOL.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 PM

494 posts, read 1,349,120 times
We spent a weekend recently at The Trump in Chicago...what a FABULOUS place it is. The service was amazing and the employees who we talked to could not say enough great things about working for the Trump Family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte