U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2007, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Arizona
360 posts, read 974,264 times
Reputation: 222
Default Um, no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Yes, we have strong accents, but so do people from the south, west coast, foreign nations etc. Does this make us bad people because we do not sound just like you? ... Yes, when I go someplace people know within a few words that I am from NY. I was born and raised on Long Island and the accent is what comes with it. So does my accent make me a bad person or mean I have skewed morals? I don't think so, I think I am just fine. At least I am not the one judging a book by it's cover. Should I not like my soon to be neighbors because they are Hispanic or should I assume my other neighbor is aKlan card carrying racist because they are white? No, because that would be stereotyping. Sort of the same thing you are doing.

Of course it doesn't make you a bad person because you don't sound like me. I was simply asserting my (commonly agreed upon by most non-northeasterners) opinion that NJ/NY accents are generally not pleasant-sounding. In fact, they're very harsh to the ear...unlike those of the southerners, west coasters, and many foreign nationalities you mention.

I certainly wasn't judging any book by it's cover. I'm certainly not being racist. I'm stating opinions based on actual true events and experiences, and trying to get a feel for what others think. Clearly, most NJ/Nyers don't agree with me, but it seems that there have actually been a few who do.

 
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Bronx, New York
93 posts, read 451,936 times
Reputation: 74
The majority of people moving down are running away from something (taxes, schools, crime, very few are running from the law ha ha!) but what we all have in common is that we're looking for a better life for ourselves and our children. So basically, you're running away from other people like you? Really, trying to understand here. Doesn't everyone deserve to be happy where ever that may be? And doesn't it comfort you to know that people from your neck of the woods are taking that same scary plunge down to a city where they may or may not know someone?

I get ignorant comments like that coming from the Bronx and I feel like I have to work extra hard because the Bronx has this reputation for crime, but guess what, there are quite a few good people there that through no fault of their own can't get that chance for better housing etc. Now that I have the chance to offer my family what I consider the best, I don't need someone to judge me because of where I'm from. Jerks are everywhere, and since you haven't moved yet, consider Florida, they're looking for a few good buyers.
 
Old 03-29-2007, 11:38 AM
 
Location: connecticut
181 posts, read 15,720 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Of course it doesn't make you a bad person because you don't sound like me. I was simply asserting my (commonly agreed upon by most non-northeasterners) opinion that NJ/NY accents are generally not pleasant-sounding. In fact, they're very harsh to the ear...unlike those of the southerners, west coasters, and many foreign nationalities you mention.

I certainly wasn't judging any book by it's cover. I'm certainly not being racist. I'm stating opinions based on actual true events and experiences, and trying to get a feel for what others think. Clearly, most NJ/Nyers don't agree with me, but it seems that there have actually been a few who do.
lol I agree with you. Its not like most people are strong enough emotionally to come out and admit that something about them might not be so great. You will get 100000 people disagreeing b/c it involves something bad about them, and you will get like 3 people who can suck it up and agree b/c they know its true. An accent doesnt make you a bad person but unless you are truly ignorant, you should be able to see the general reactions of common man to certain accents and agree that people DO react certain ways to harsher or softer accents at first listen. Is it right? No. Then again can it be justified? Possibly. If everyday in my life I experience 9 of 10 people with a certain accent or attribute that are jerks or rude and only 1 of 10 that dont fit that mold, then ya stereotypes will form and whether or not they are ALWAYS true, they can also be useful at times. Thats like saying "you cant say all crackheads are bad people...." and you'd be right. Not all crackheads are bad people..but would you let a crackhead babysit your child? Think about it. Theres no black and white.
 
Old 03-29-2007, 11:56 AM
 
461 posts, read 1,244,903 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Of course it doesn't make you a bad person because you don't sound like me. I was simply asserting my (commonly agreed upon by most non-northeasterners) opinion that NJ/NY accents are generally not pleasant-sounding. In fact, they're very harsh to the ear...unlike those of the southerners, west coasters, and many foreign nationalities you mention.

I certainly wasn't judging any book by it's cover. I'm certainly not being racist. I'm stating opinions based on actual true events and experiences, and trying to get a feel for what others think. Clearly, most NJ/Nyers don't agree with me, but it seems that there have actually been a few who do.
I was going to refrain from participating in this thread any further because it's basically just becoming a pissing match but seriously, for someone who in a round about way is putting themselves up on a pedestal and who considers themselves to be so classy sure is opinionated and feels they are above a large group of people. Now, you say our accents are not pleasant but I would generally say that is your opinion as I know of people who feel southern accents make people sound unintelligent. Do I think this way? No, but just because others do, does not mean I am going to follow the crowd and think the same and I will form my own opinion after talking with them.
So how people feel about accents and how they sound is all a matter of opinion and where you come from. You say your not racist but in some aspects your posts scream racist(not in the traditional sense) unless you are just upset about something someone from the Northeast has done to you and you are trying to make yourself feel better by stirring the pot. Who knows but you sound like you would fit right in with the very people you want to avoid.
I agree people no matter where they are from should NOT try and change the area and should adapt to their new surroundings. If this can not be accomplished than they should reconsider their decision and think about other avenues. Again, I am going to try to no longer participate in this thread any further but I am sure glad that the houses surrounding my soon to be new home are already occupied so that I do not run the risk of living next door to a self righteous, pompous so called classy person such as yourself. Thanks for reassuring me that people can be (you fill in your favorite word)no matter where they are from!
 
Old 03-29-2007, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Arizona
360 posts, read 974,264 times
Reputation: 222
Default :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd83 View Post
lol I agree with you. Its not like most people are strong enough emotionally to come out and admit that something about them might not be so great. You will get 100000 people disagreeing b/c it involves something bad about them, and you will get like 3 people who can suck it up and agree b/c they know its true. An accent doesnt make you a bad person but unless you are truly ignorant, you should be able to see the general reactions of common man to certain accents and agree that people DO react certain ways to harsher or softer accents at first listen. Is it right? No. Then again can it be justified? Possibly. If everyday in my life I experience 9 of 10 people with a certain accent or attribute that are jerks or rude and only 1 of 10 that dont fit that mold, then ya stereotypes will form and whether or not they are ALWAYS true, they can also be useful at times. Thats like saying "you cant say all crackheads are bad people...." and you'd be right. Not all crackheads are bad people..but would you let a crackhead babysit your child? Think about it. Theres no black and white.

Very, very well said, kd!

Yep, I assumed when I started this thread that there would be a slew of NJ/NYers on here today who would lash out against what I've said. I knew that I would have to simply read their opinions (since everyone is entitled to their own), and take it all with a grain of salt. As you mentioned, most people do not have the emotional capacity to listen to and admit to commonly-held proclivities that directly relate to them, even if those proclivities are obvious and true, for the most part.

As I've stated previously, I'm from the midwest, but my parents are originally from NJ and NY and I still have relatives in both states. I certainly don't HATE all northeasterners, which is what the northeasterners on this board automatically assume. In fact, I still have relatives in both states, which is why I have had so much contact with people from NJ and NY throughout my life.

Anyway, I loved your comment. You sound like a very open-minded person. Wish there were more like you!
 
Old 03-29-2007, 12:12 PM
 
Location: NW Charlotte, NC
238 posts, read 576,795 times
Reputation: 164
@ AOYAS:

There are plenty of other Southern states to pick from if there are too many Northeasterners moving down here for your tastes. Next time I move somewhere I'll make sure I ask for your permission beforehand.

But, just to point out something, wouldn't the same thing have happened if there had a massive influx of Midwesterners, as opposed to Northeasterners? Or does the fact that the people would be from the Midwest maintain Charlotte's 'Southern Charm'?
 
Old 03-29-2007, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Arizona
360 posts, read 974,264 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I was going to refrain from participating in this thread any further because it's basically just becoming a pissing match but seriously, for someone who in a round about way is putting themselves up on a pedestal and who considers themselves to be so classy sure is opinionated and feels they are above a large group of people. Now, you say our accents are not pleasant but I would generally say that is your opinion as I know of people who feel southern accents make people sound unintelligent. Do I think this way? No, but just because others do, does not mean I am going to follow the crowd and think the same and I will form my own opinion after talking with them.
So how people feel about accents and how they sound is all a matter of opinion and where you come from. You say your not racist but in some aspects your posts scream racist(not in the traditional sense) unless you are just upset about something someone from the Northeast has done to you and you are trying to make yourself feel better by stirring the pot. Who knows but you sound like you would fit right in with the very people you want to avoid.
I agree people no matter where they are from should NOT try and change the area and should adapt to their new surroundings. If this can not be accomplished than they should reconsider their decision and think about other avenues. Again, I am going to try to no longer participate in this thread any further but I am sure glad that the houses surrounding my soon to be new home are already occupied so that I do not run the risk of living next door to a self righteous, pompous so called classy person such as yourself. Thanks for reassuring me that people can be (you fill in your favorite word)no matter where they are from!

LOL... I NEVER suggested that I, myself, am classy. I said that CHARLOTTE has been a classy city. You should probably refrain from commenting if you haven't read the thread, and don't have your facts straight.

I haven't said anything pompous and I'm certainly not self-righteous. I simply said that I feel the charm and class of Charlotte will go down the drain once all the northeasterners have finished turning it into "Little New Jersey," which is what is currently in the process of happening. If you can't see that, or you don't understand what that means, I guess you're probably one of those who are contributing to it's demise.

Look at it this way...Charlotte has a gentle grace about it...southern charm...class. All of the NJ/Nyers moving into North Charlotte, Union County, and Ft. Mills are changing that. It's becoming an endless mass of McMansions and gas-guzzling SUV's. The charm and class are disappearing. The sprawling, laid-back, southern feel is on its way out and is being replaced by fast-paced, caffeine-fueled northeasterners who are rushing to or from their cookie-cutter tract homes on postage-stamp-sized lots. It's turning into "Little New Jersey."

Have you ever heard ANYONE say "wow, what a beautiful, charming, classy place this is," when referring to New Jersey?
 
Old 03-29-2007, 12:21 PM
 
Location: North Jersey
6 posts, read 10,330 times
Reputation: 12
So KD...just so I'm clear about your analogies:

Crackhead = most likely a bad person, therefore
Northern accent = most likely a jerk ??

Do I have that right? Is that your definition of a "useful stereotype"??
 
Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Rhode Island
476 posts, read 1,112,951 times
Reputation: 100
I too was refraining from commenting on this post but as someone heading to Charlotte from RI (yes another "northerner") I find the original post very ignorant and insulting. I have lived in the north all of my life and cannot believe I am already being judged by where I come from before I even arrive. Should we assume all mid-westerners are ignorant because that is where the original poster on this thread comes from? Give me a break......
 
Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 PM
 
Location: connecticut
181 posts, read 15,720 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
@ AOYAS:

There are plenty of other Southern states to pick from if there are too many Northeasterners moving down here for your tastes. Next time I move somewhere I'll make sure I ask for your permission beforehand.

Very mature addition to this conversation

But, just to point out something, wouldn't the same thing have happened if there had a massive influx of Midwesterners, as opposed to Northeasterners? Or does the fact that the people would be from the Midwest maintain Charlotte's 'Southern Charm'?
This last thing that you said is actually quite plausible. Its not to say that people from the Midwest are the same as people from the South, however, there way of life does seem more similar than Southern vs Northern lifestyles. Therefore an influx of midwesterners, as you said, probably would NOT have the same reaction as transplants might be receiving now. Even if the numbers of "good" and "bad" (whatever you want to consider those labels for the purpose of this discussion) people were perfectly equal tranplanting to the South, human nature would still cause people to see the bad more than the good in a very similar way to the way people react to media. Fact is its not 50/50 good/bad. THERE IS NO BLACK AND WHITE! It seems to be, however, from MOST PEOPLES experiences, which is what counts most..experiences not just "i heards", is that Northerners and Southerners have VERY DIFFERENT lifestyles and that many Northerners (not all but many) are not adapting but instead just trying to create little ny and nj. Instead of liking southern food and searching for the closest bbq restaurant..they're obsessed with the quest to "find pizza that is like home" or "doesnt taste like cardboard" etc. If you liked NY or NJ so much and you werent forced to move..then why are you still there? That is the question in many peoples minds (not just mine). When I move, I'm going to start a completely new life. Learn completely new things and places and foods etc. If people are just moving for jobs and/or weather then many people (NOT ALL) will be more resistant to adapt vs all that other stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:02 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top