Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:12 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,454,751 times

Advertisements

I'm confused.

Charlotte had southern charm? When? 1970?

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things to like about Charlotte. But southern charm? A slow pace of life? Wow, wrong answer!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:16 PM

362 posts, read 1,342,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newincharlotte View Post
I have news for you, folks..... the reason Charlotte is desired, and has a growing economy is because of all the transplants!!

Do you not follow the news and its trends and see where it all comes from??

What makes me laugh, is for decades we northerners have had to deal with immigrants, west-coasters, mid westerners and of course southerners, moving to out citys and towns and guess what? We couldnt care less!!!!

Obviously, the reason Charlotte has a growing economy is directly proportionate to the amount of transplants. Transplants are clearly not the problem. NORTHEASTERN transplants moving to Charlotte and CHANGING Charlotte from a beautiful, charming city into "Little New Jersey" and "Little Long Island" and such, is the problem.

Charlotte is DESIRED because of it's southern charm, beauty, laid-back lifestyle, convenience of a city without having to live "in" the city, beautiful parks, proximity to ocean and mountains, relatively good job market for many industries, and relatively low cost for real estate. The influx of transplants are NOT what I would consider a desirable quality of Charlotte's. Sorry, but you're just wrong. Transplants are something that go hand in hand with a growing city. However, an abundance of transplants aren't generally a major reason people move to that city.

As for your comment about southerners, west coasters and midwesterners moving to your cities and you not caring...it's probably because those demographics generally do not shove their way into a place and make everyone around them aware of where they came from and what they don't like about their new environments. They generally seem more adaptable, and try to experience new things and ideas, instead of trying to change the places they to which they relocate to resemble the cities and towns they left behind.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:16 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,700,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newincharlotte View Post
I have news for you, folks..... the reason Charlotte is desired, and has a growing economy is because of all the transplants!!

Do you not follow the news and its trends and see where it all comes from??

What makes me laugh, is for decades we northerners have had to deal with immigrants, west-coasters, mid westerners and of course southerners, moving to out citys and towns and guess what? We couldnt care less!!!!
Very much agree with you! However, let's not give too much credit to all transplants!How do you think the American Indians felt when the Brits came over? Well actually they blatantly stole the land from the natives, but that's a whole other tradgedy....here, the builders might be rapeing the land and who knows what under-handed stuff goes on, but the bottom line is: "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". Leave any bad attitudes at home, no matter where you're coming from!
I will be honest though, the bad attitudes and "Keeping up with the Joneses" attitude from some has already landed here in Charlotte. Whether that's coming from Northeners or others...it's here and it's usually attached to a Northern accent! I'm from NJ and some of the stuff I've heard makes me cringe! But I now have "bad attitude" radar and know to stay away from it. On the flip side, I've met a bunch of people who've been extremely nice to us, regardless of our Northern accents.
It's all what you make of it, I suppose.

Last edited by stmaarten; 03-29-2007 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-29-2007, 01:32 PM

67 posts, read 64,312 times
New Jersey is beautiful whether you think so or not. I lived in New Jersey for 6 years before moving to NC I am certain you have not have the opportunity to visit most of the State if you think it is not beautiful. The only thing I can say is I feel sorry for you...I would not want your negative attitude and outlook on life! You must be a very sad person!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:38 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,700,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcshea View Post
New Jersey is beautiful whether you think so or not. I lived in New Jersey for 6 years before moving to NC I am certain you have not have the opportunity to visit most of the State if you think it is not beautiful. The only thing I can say is I feel sorry for you...I would not want your negative attitude and outlook on life! You must be a very sad person!
Very true, New Jersey is beautiful!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:44 PM

478 posts, read 2,041,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I'm confused.

Charlotte had southern charm? When? 1970?

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things to like about Charlotte. But southern charm? A slow pace of life? Wow, wrong answer!
Now I'm confused. Why do locals perpetuate this myth then? If some are very resentful of the transplants, why continue the lie about southern charm and the rest of it?

Old 03-29-2007, 02:14 PM

348 posts, read 426,439 times
I adore Charlotte, and am one of those verboten northern transplants y'all are talking about. LOL!

I would say that of a bunch of southern places I've been, Charlotte is perhaps the least southern of them. Savannah, Charleston, etc. are what one normally thinks about in terms of true and retained southerness.

There's probably lots of reason for this, like the fact that it's a larger city versus a small town or smaller city, a lot of the building is more brick transitionals instead of true southern style homes, etc.

So, if you're coming here expecting the real south with folks sipping mint juleps on the front porches and the spanish moss on the old oak trees, I think you'll be disappointed. Charlotte, however, is a lovely mix of some good southern friendliness with cosmpolitan amenties and culture. And I think that combo is what attracts people here from all parts of the country.

I came here to get away from the northern rat race, and I have no desire to turn Charlotte into Little [insert your state here]. I appreciate most everything about the place, and the fact that it is different from where I came. I love the locals, welcome the transplants, and hope we can all enjoy a thriving city that has a great blend of all the people that come here to stay.

Perhaps we'll even enjoy a mint julep on the front porch!

Old 03-29-2007, 02:27 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,454,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Now I'm confused. Why do locals perpetuate this myth then? If some are very resentful of the transplants, why continue the lie about southern charm and the rest of it?
I don't know what you're talking about, I just find it amusing that people are moving to Charlotte for the 'slow pace' and 'friendliness'.

That makes me wonder, "Good lord, what sort of awful place are these people escaping from?"

Not to rag on Charlotte too bad, like I said, it has its good qualities - things that a legitimately 'southern' place wouldn't have.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:33 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,302,038 times
Very Nice Lisaf!!! Well put....

and NJ is beautiful we just have no desire to stay here!!!!

Staci

Old 03-29-2007, 03:58 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,589,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
It's an "ugh" for many reasons.
strong accents
A 'legitimate' gripe of yours, are 'accents' that you describe as 'strong'? How absurd (and telling)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
corrupt morals
A good buddy of mine, a Southerner his whole life, lives outside of Atlanta. And if I am to believe what he's told me, he explains that many people are 'lukewarm' - which is to say that people feign a sense of religiousity, without the obedience, or devotion, that's central to a moral Godly life.

If that's so, I gotta side on God with this one: Better to be 'cold,' than a lukewarm hypocrite.

On the balance, I too, am interested in the South, to become a part of what I hope is a prevalant Southern culture - but your post threw me for a loop...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte