Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,581,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Sorry, but you're just wrong. California, by far, has grows the most tomatoes consumed in the US...80%, to be exact.
Grace abounds ...

You are right; it wasn't tomatoes, but blueberry and cranberry production I had in mind.

Either way, NJ has a mix of nice and not-so-nice areas; rural and urban.

Quote:
Minority and majority opinion has nothing to do with whethe or not an argument is valid. My argument is definitely valid. Some people are in agreement with me, as was demonstrated on this board, and I'm SURE many more Charlotte residents and people considering moving there, who do not read this board, would agree with me, as well.
Stand in a room full of racists, and amongst themselves, would they find themselves in agreement. However, that doesn't validate their argument, nor make it correct.

As the above example shows, you cannot use popular opinion to validate your argument.

Quote:
As for the "accent" part of my argument...it is not a part of my argument. My argument is mainly that Charlotte's beauty and class is going downhill, in major part, because of the northeasterners moving out of their dirty, overcrowded, expensive cities in the northeast
How can I possibly answer this?

Yes, I agree that many areas are overcrowded and expensive. But they certainly wouldn't be overcrowded and expensive, if they they were undesirable. And dirty? Long Island has some of the most beautiful public areas in the Union. Or would you say that Newport, Rhode Island is dirty? Maybe Cape Cod?

Quote:
It's simply an opinion I have formed (and many others agree), based on my experiences, regarding the overall obnoxious-sounding accent that is creeping out of the northeast into southern cities.
Again, you are entitled to your opinion. Even so, now the New York accent is "obnoxious?"

You know what's ironic? Your posts indicate that you might typecast many of my friends, because they sound like New Yorkers, with a few looking like stereotypical ethnic types, common to NJ and NY and PA. Yet many of these people, are the moral, church-going, conservative, type you seem to want to be around.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:19 PM

116 posts, read 420,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcshea View Post
New Jersey is beautiful whether you think so or not. I lived in New Jersey for 6 years before moving to NC I am certain you have not have the opportunity to visit most of the State if you think it is not beautiful. The only thing I can say is I feel sorry for you...I would not want your negative attitude and outlook on life! You must be a very sad person!
Trenton and Camden are pretty ugly, Newark, and Jersey City a bit less so. Princeton, Cape May and most of the Jersey Shore (excluding Atlantic City!) are beautiful.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 PM

190 posts, read 684,664 times
I've been reading, with interest, the thread posted by AOYAS, and cannot understand why you seem so angry. What difference does it make who moves where? We have to respect everyone and let people live. You said you are moving to Charlotte, well so am I. I'm coming down with a positive attitude, hoping to make new friends, wherever they're from, and really looking forward to belonging to my new community. I'm a quiet person, but very friendly. I mind my business, but will help you in a heartbeat. I hope you will be happy in your move to Charlotte, but we both have to expect things have changed over the years, but we can still be who we are. People want to be accecpted and respected and a smile will go a long way. Let's try to be friends for life is so short. Let's think of our move as an adventure and since we've made the decision, let's see what life holds for us in our new surroundings. It could be wonderful I wish you the very best.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:03 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,289,724 times
Lilly exactly the point.. it doesnt matter where one comes from...there are all types of people in this world that live all over...some good some nice some not so nice etc...anyway we have made such wonderful friends already and was exactly what were looking for.....

Old 03-31-2007, 08:39 AM

105 posts, read 242,865 times
Simply put - AOYAS - please leave yourself & your attitude in NJ.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:49 AM

225 posts, read 832,496 times
I've avoided responding to this post because it's just a waste of time and space. The "little new jersey" were not created by the recent influx of transplants. Maybe the poster should have wrote this thread 5 - 10 years ago. It's a moot point now.

Wherever we come from, we all bring a little bit of home with us as I am sure you will also. So what if we want pizza like home? When did this become a crime. For some of us that McMansion is our dream home because we could never afford it where we are coming from. You mean people didn't drive SUV's before transplants came to Charlotte. I have lived many places in my life, I have found bad attitudes in the south, north, and west. It's just not right to say northerns have a monopoly with the bad attitude thing. You yourself have shown that quality throughout this thread. Although you never called a person a name directly, indirectly you made it clear how you felt, which is still the same thing in my opinion.

If you don't want to live in an enclave with the "little nj" feel, I suggest you do your homework. There are plenty of places where this can be had.

Guess what, I'm sure when the decision was made for you to move to Charlotte, you wanted that to know if the favorite shoe store was in Charlotte or if they carry the same kind of make-up u use for example. Familiar things often make the unknown a little easier to handle. For all of us uprooting our families, Charlotte is an unknown. We can hope to fit in, but you never know. So if attitude is your only problem with northeastern transplants, ignore it. Otherwise, folks have more important things to worry about. On a scale of 1-10. This is definitely a 1.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:02 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,445,556 times
Wow, strong opinions all around.....interesting thread.

The question was "who isn't from NJ/NY" and I will say that we aren't. We moved here from Los Angeles, CA.

Dawn

Old 03-31-2007, 11:17 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,289,724 times
Warden, Very well Said....

Old 03-31-2007, 11:42 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,698,311 times
All I can say to those of you who are not down here yet. You'll know what everyone who already lives here is talking about when it comes to some Northern "attitudes". You just won't understand until you're confronted with it. And, again, it's NOT ALL Northerners. Not all are rude, but the ones that are STICK OUT like a sore thumb.
And now I think we should just put this whole subject to rest. It's too much negative energy, when what we really need is more positivity in this world.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:02 PM

78 posts, read 222,291 times
Default Northeasterners

I need to come to the defense of AOYAS. I have lived in New Hampshire most of my adult life so my perspective may be a bit different. AOYAS is right. I owned a shop on Lake Winnipesaukee and the first summer I had my business the other shopkeepers said "Wait until you get a customer from New York!" My response..."How will I know they're from New York?" They said, YOU"LL KNOW!" Wow, I sure did. They were demanding, rude, insulting, and LOUD!!!

I just returned from the Carolinas on Tuesday and I was disappointed in that I could see little difference from the north. Of course, remember I'm from New Hampshire where the population of the entire state is about the same as Raleigh. The people drive about the same, many in a hurry. My daughter owned a home near Tampa and she said people in Florida exhibit southern hospitality more than Carolinians. The people we met who have lived in NC for many years were delightful and charming. I especially found that to be true in Chapel Hill and Charlotte. I couldn't get used to the congestion and how close the houses are to each other.

What I loved the most was the openness and vitality of the women. The women were so enjoyable. Their spirit is infectious!!! We northerners are just not that much fun!!! I haven't found the right place yet. I want community and my husband wants a large backyard (acre or more) where he can work on classic cars (his passion). We'll probably need to check out Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte