Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
All I can say to those of you who are not down here yet. You'll know what everyone who already lives here is talking about when it comes to some Northern "attitudes". You just won't understand until you're confronted with it. And, again, it's NOT ALL Northerners. Not all are rude, but the ones that are STICK OUT like a sore thumb.
And now I think we should just put this whole subject to rest. It's too much negative energy, when what we really need is more positivity in this world.
Very well said You are right, it is not all northerners - but some do come with the attitude of wanting certain things here the way they were "there", instead of adjusting to what is here. So they push for change, and money does talk, and more and more northern lifestyle get incorporated into our city. And not that all change is a bad thing, but these changes do contribute to our southern way of life being watered down, something the people responsible for the changes have no respect for. It is that lack of respsect that offends us so much. If you chose to become a part of a community whose values and traditions are different than you own then you should be the one trying to assimilate, not the other way around ya'll When in Rome...

Old 03-31-2007, 12:22 PM

362 posts, read 1,342,261 times
I have to admit that I think AOYAS makes a VERY GOOD argument.

I just finished responding to a thread called "Anyone left in Long Island?" where a person who moved to Charlotte from New York suggested that Charlotte metro cities/towns have silly names, and that they should be changed to names of places in New York. I won't respond to that suggesion, since I already responded to it on the above-mentioned thread, but I'd like to give my two cents

It seems that AOYAS does have a good point, judging from a lot of the posts I've read on this forum recently. It sure would be a shame if many of the "northeasterners" who are apparently moving to Charlotte in droves, do end up changing Charlotte for the worse, instead of integrating themselves in a good way, to keep Charlotte a nice "southern" place to live.

I wonder if it's telling that most of the responents on this thread who do not agree with AOYAS seem to be the "northeasterners" targeted in the discussion? What I mean is, it doesn't seem that many non-New Yorkers or non-New Jerseyans disagree with AOYAS, which, to me, further validates his or her argument.

Just my humble opinion. I do not mean to offend anyone, to please don't take offense to anything I've said. I'm just giving my point of view on this (apparently) hot topic...

Old 03-31-2007, 01:14 PM

225 posts, read 832,810 times
Quote:
I wonder if it's telling that most of the respondents on this thread who do not agree with AOYAS seem to be the "northeasterners" targeted in the discussion? What I mean is, it doesn't seem that many non-New Yorkers or non-New Jerseyans disagree with AOYAS, which, to me, further validates his or her argument.

Not from NY or NJ and I don't agree with AOYAS. If he/she wants to b**ch about something make it something people can change. Everything mentioned is already in place. None on this board created the problems discussed. So i guess because we are coming down and still adding to it we should take the blame. I bet most of the people she is talking about don't respond to this board or any other for that matter.

What are you gonna do to stop people from NY and NJ from moving to Charlotte? How do how do you propose the change a lifetime of habits, accents, loudness (another posters description not mine), attitude. Stop preaching to the choir as the saying goes. I have not seen one constructive resolution to this situation. We all bring baggage with us, what's yours?

I guess if you say it enough it must be true. Stereotypes are a dangerous thing. As a minority, I try to steer clear of people that use stereotypes to generalize an opinion and want to validate it by saying how many other people feel the same way. History has shown us what stereotyping a particular group, race, sex, etc has lead to. This thread is still a 1 IMO. Just too many other things that MATTER to waste more time on this.

Last edited by warden; 03-31-2007 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-31-2007, 02:47 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,589,980 times
Warden did a great job in covering all the bases, but this I wanted to address:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Very well said You are right, it is not all northerners - but some do come with the attitude of wanting certain things here the way they were "there", instead of adjusting to what is here.
I have heard this time, and time, and time, again...

What specifically is your complaint?

Old 03-31-2007, 02:49 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDWTM View Post
I just finished responding to a thread called "Anyone left in Long Island?" where a person who moved to Charlotte from New York suggested that Charlotte metro cities/towns have silly names, and that they should be changed to names of places in New York.
So one person wrote something stupid. Does one person speak for the three million people that live in Nassau and Suffolk Counties? Why lend the foolish opinion of one, credence?

Old 03-31-2007, 02:55 PM
NDL

One final thought: I wouldn't have taken much issue with this thread, had it not been for non-substantive points, like calling the predominant accent of a region 'obnoxious.'

Old 03-31-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
So one person wrote something stupid. Does one person speak for the three million people that live in Nassau and Suffolk Counties? Why lend the foolish opinion of one, credence?
No, I don't believe that one person speaks for everyone from NY. I was just giving one small example of the type of behavior being discussed in this thread, that I have personally witnessed. Like I said before, I don't want to offend anyone. I'm just lending my view.

Simply put, I don't yet live in Charlotte, so I can't currently give my opinion about what is or is not going on there with transplants, because I haven't seen for myself, yet. Heck, I'll even be a transplant myself! LOL! I can merely give my opinion on certain issues that are discussed broadly on threads such as this, which debates the possibility that a prominent portion of the "new" population of Charlotte are New Jerseyans and New Yorkers, who might be attempting to change the suburbs of Charlotte to closer resemble those very same places they have recently moved away from, thereby "watering down" the southern-ness of Charlotte and making it more closely resemble a "Little Long Island" (or whatever city/state is mentioned ealier). Again, I'm not yet involved in this situation (if there is, in fact, a situation to speak of), because Charlotte is not my home yet. I'm merely basing my opinion on what others have said. I will have to go to Charlotte with an open mind and decide for myself what I think is truly happening, and if it warrants th natives getting into a tizzy.

It did occur to me, however, that if a dozen or so people on this board, who do currently live in Charlotte, each agree with the OP of this thread, that the subject of this thread's argument may truly be a problem. If a decently-sized group of people on one little forum believe that there is a problem with "northeasterners" changing the city for he worse, it kind of makes me wonder how many people who are NOT on these forums would agree, and it makes me think that maybe the OP might have a genuine point.

Just my humble opinion. Please feel free to take it with a grain of salt...

Old 03-31-2007, 03:20 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,358,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDWTM View Post
I have to admit that I think AOYAS makes a VERY GOOD argument.

I just finished responding to a thread called "Anyone left in Long Island?" where a person who moved to Charlotte from New York suggested that Charlotte metro cities/towns have silly names, and that they should be changed to names of places in New York. I won't respond to that suggesion, since I already responded to it on the above-mentioned thread, but I'd like to give my two cents

It seems that AOYAS does have a good point, judging from a lot of the posts I've read on this forum recently. It sure would be a shame if many of the "northeasterners" who are apparently moving to Charlotte in droves, do end up changing Charlotte for the worse, instead of integrating themselves in a good way, to keep Charlotte a nice "southern" place to live.

I wonder if it's telling that most of the responents on this thread who do not agree with AOYAS seem to be the "northeasterners" targeted in the discussion? What I mean is, it doesn't seem that many non-New Yorkers or non-New Jerseyans disagree with AOYAS, which, to me, further validates his or her argument.

Just my humble opinion. I do not mean to offend anyone, to please don't take offense to anything I've said. I'm just giving my point of view on this (apparently) hot topic...
I'm from New Jersey, live spitting distance from Charlotte and yeah, AOYAS does make a good point. It's not like only a handful of people are coming down from the northeast, it's TONS of people. If you get five people coming from the northeast then your southern way of life will be well preserved. If you get 5,000 at one time it's a different story. Not all 5,000 are going to automatically "turn southern". If the entire borough of the Bronx were to move down they're not going to start "y'all" ing everyone. They're going to be mostly around everything familiar to them and that's just natural early on in relocation. You want to keep what's familiar at first and slowly branch out. Nowadays though wherever you branch out there's always another northerner. So sure, slowly Charlotte is turning into "Little New Jersey" or "Little New York" (we can call it "little northeast"). I've run into people from Queens, Newark, East Orange, Jersey City, Edison, Keansburg, etc.. These places aren't exactly home fries and sweet tea. The owner of the place on Weddington where we bought our bedding told us that he gets at least one NY'er per day. PER DAY. Hence my thought of this place eventually inheriting all of the same problems that everyone's supposedly leaving. It's too much too fast.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulani View Post
Simply put - AOYAS - please leave yourself & your attitude in NJ.
I guess I could do that if I were from New Jersey, which I'm not.

It's very interesting to me to see the "debate" that has ensued over my post. I'm learning a lot about the attitudes regarding this subject, and the various viewpoints. Still, it seems that many people agree with me...

Old 03-31-2007, 03:31 PM

I received this private comment today:

***Just want you to know you are dead on in your opinions and I'm sorry you are getting raked over the coals for it. Thanks for understanding how hard it is for us southerners to see our way of life changing by the influx of so many from NJ/NY***

Not sure who wrote it, because they clearly wanted to remain anonymous, but I feel that I have brought up an important, relevant, legitimate argument, and messages like the one above further validate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte