Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:51 AM

362 posts, read 1,341,699 times

Advertisements

Are there ANY people moving to Charlotte this year or next, who are NOT from NJ or NY??

Please?!?

I feel as though Union County is turning into "Little New Jersey"...ugh!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:53 AM

620 posts, read 2,110,342 times
Why is that a "ugh"?

People are moving from all over - CA, FL, GA, everywhere.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:15 AM

362 posts, read 1,341,699 times
Default Not gonna lie...

It's an "ugh" for many reasons.

Yes, I'm aware that people are moving here from other places...I was being sarcastic in my original post....sort of.

I'm moving to Charlotte from this summer, and I'm a little iffy about the over-abundance of "northerners" (specifically, New Jerseyans and New Yorkers) moving to Charlotte. One of the main reasons I want to move to CLT is the "southern hospitality" and laid-back charm the city has. My parents' families are originally from New Jersey and New York, and my husband is originally from Philly. Although I grew up in the mid-west, I've spent a lot of time in NJ, NY and Philly over the years, visiting other family members who still live in those places. So I am very familiar with the way people are in the north east. Suffice it to say that my parents and husband left NJ, NY and PA years ago for numerous reasons, including general (bad) attitudes of "north-easterners." Now, I realize that generalizations aren't fair, and that not everyone from NJ, NY and PA are loud-mouthed, obnoxious whiners with unpleasant, strong accents and corrupt morals, but stereotypes do exist for a reason, and no one can intelligently argue that. I just hope that when I get to Charlotte, my neighbors and co-workers are nice, friendly people, who embrace that "southern hospitality" mentality, and I don't end up feeling like I've moved to "Little New Jersey."

It would be such a shame if the over-abundance of north-easterners turn a beautiful, classy community into a city similar to the the one(s) they left.

Just my two cents...

Old 03-29-2007, 05:59 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,131,850 times
I hope when you get here you'll be greeted with southern smiles and just plain good manners.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:06 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,233,046 times
Virginia here... but maybe some of the NE people are leaving the area to get out of the hustle and bustle and coming to Union or Charlotte for that same Southern Hospitality and wanting to join in on it???

Old 03-29-2007, 08:27 AM

462 posts, read 1,837,530 times
Wow, not sure how to respond. On a serious note, you are right as far as there is definatly a stereotype and there are those that definatly live up to it. People from the Northeast do get a bad wrap but to lump everyone up into one group based on that stereotype is just wrong, just as it would be wrong to lump any ethnicity groups into a catagory because of a stereotype. Yes, we have strong accents, but so do people from the south, west coast, foreign nations etc. Does this make us bad people because we do not sound just like you? I can go a lot further with this but I will leave it at that and keep it civil.
Most people but not all that are moving to the area are looking for a better quality of life, and for the most part are tired of the hustle and the bustle and the Northeast lifestyle. I know that my wife and I are moving to the area for that reason and are looking for a better place to start a family and raise our children. Yes, we could afford to stay here and buy a home here in NY, but NY is just not a place I want to raise my children. So I am going to go out on a limb and assume that most that are moving to the area are looking to get away from what you described in your post. Yes, you may run into the types that you described that come from the Northeast and b*tch, moan and complain, but chances are those are the ones who are moving just so they can own a big giant home for low cost but those are also going to be the same people that will be unhappy no matter how large a home they own and where they own it and will probrably pack it up and leave within a year or two unless they learn to adjust. Just my opinion. Yes, when I go someplace people know within a few words that I am from NY. I was born and raised on Long Island and the accent is what comes with it. So does my accent make me a bad person or mean I have skewed morals? I don't think so, I think I am just fine. At least I am not the one judging a book by it's cover. Should I not like my soon to be neighbors because they are Hispanic or should I assume my other neighbor is aKlan card carrying racist because they are white? No, because that would be stereotyping. Sort of the same thing you are doing.
Sorry for the rant but it just bothers me when people judge me before talking to me and getting to know me.
End Rant!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:20 AM

620 posts, read 2,110,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post

Yes, I'm aware that people are moving here from other places...I was being sarcastic in my original post....sort of.

I'm moving to Charlotte from this summer, and I'm a little iffy about the over-abundance of "northerners" (specifically, New Jerseyans and New Yorkers) moving to Charlotte. One of the main reasons I want to move to CLT is the "southern hospitality" and laid-back charm the city has. My parents' families are originally from New Jersey and New York, and my husband is originally from Philly. Although I grew up in the mid-west, I've spent a lot of time in NJ, NY and Philly over the years, visiting other family members who still live in those places. So I am very familiar with the way people are in the north east. Suffice it to say that my parents and husband left NJ, NY and PA years ago for numerous reasons, including general (bad) attitudes of "north-easterners." Now, I realize that generalizations aren't fair, and that not everyone from NJ, NY and PA are loud-mouthed, obnoxious whiners with unpleasant, strong accents and corrupt morals, but stereotypes do exist for a reason, and no one can intelligently argue that. I just hope that when I get to Charlotte, my neighbors and co-workers are nice, friendly people, who embrace that "southern hospitality" mentality, and I don't end up feeling like I've moved to "Little New Jersey."

It would be such a shame if the over-abundance of north-easterners turn a beautiful, classy community into a city similar to the the one(s) they left.

Just my two cents...
I think you need to seek some serious help...

The last thing Charlotte needs is another ignorant person.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:32 AM

110 posts, read 393,369 times
Quote:

Just my two cents...
You might want to rethink your decision.

There has been a major influx of people especially from the Northeast moving to (dare I say invading) North Carolina. I was talking to a salesman just last night who was telling me that because of all the overdevelopment, there are many natives who aren't happy about it. They are losing their small town country charm. Of course this isn't to suggest that ALL the natives are unhappy. It's just that they will be impacted by the masses of people that are coming down to NC to live.

Although everyone I've encountered in NC has been friendly, polite and most accomodating. I can't help but feel that there is hidden resentment from all the transplants looking for a piece of southern hospitality. It's going to fade fast. Very fast. And yes, NC WILL start looking like NY/NJ south sooner rather than later.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:09 AM

179 posts, read 291,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I think you need to seek some serious help...

The last thing Charlotte needs is another ignorant person.
I think that by your sn you are a little bias. I am from the northeast (non-fairfield county connecticut) and I agree with what they said. NY, NJ, MA, and CT (fairfield county people) for the most part are aggressive drivers, have a distinct attitude to them good or bad is left to opinion, and carry a strong presence with them into the South by tranplanting. Some people like that..some people dont..but with the tremendous numbers fleeing to the South at once, they are tremendously impacting a way of life that is almost completely the opposite style of living to what they are coming from. Driving on the LIE, NJT, Mass Tpke, Garden State Pkwy, Merrit Pkway, Hutchinson, Over ANY of the major bridges, etc. is stressful for many reasons, the main one being RUDE PEOPLE. In SC and NC when i've visited on multiple occassions, sure I"ve run into bad drivers or rude people...what do you know No southern accent or they had a NJ/MA/NY license plate..hmmmmmmmm....

and the funny thing about the post that you criticized as "ignorant and needing serious help" They were actually pretty open-minded in their post stating they realize not everybody is a certain way. They didnt come off overly critical, just curious and informative while stating a small opinion on what direction its headed. Maybe you need serious help or need to release yourself from your ignorance b/c its happening. PLenty of people are transplanting, but who do you notice first? Who has the biggest strongest presence and who are the people that everyone seems to keep referring to as the jerks, the aholes, the rude, etc? US!! The northeasterners...specifically NJ/MA/NY people. I dont notice to many people complaining about CT, NH, VT, ME, or even PA people. Imagine that.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:14 AM

179 posts, read 291,624 times
Quote:
Are there ANY people moving to Charlotte this year or next, who are NOT from NJ or NY??

Please?!?

I feel as though Union County is turning into "Little New Jersey"...ugh!
And to answer your question, yes I am coming from the non-rich part of Connecticut and unlike many tranplants, I am looking forward to meshing with the existing way of life in NC, not instead trying to force my existing habits and way of life onto southerners. I am looking forward to experiencing something new. I dont understand why so many people are moving somewhere completely different than where they are from but refuse to change. I think its not fair to the natives, whether or not the natives are too nice to admit it, I will speak for them..its fuc*ed up and when I move there I will have no part in the destruction of what is/was already there. Maybe some of the rude tranplants who seem to hate it there so much will start to move back and reverse the process. Doubtful but hey one can hope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte