Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 02:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,518,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Somebody hear something?
What are you 5? Way to be a grown up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:30 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,438,144 times
There it is again.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:36 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,196,944 times
ok forgetting the SS/Metal battle royal over ramsey....

Sheenie, I agree somewhat, but where I think my main issue is.. How can you let the Banks fail? Are you referring to Wells, BofA, Citi, Chase and a few others? Thats over 60% of the electronic comerce that the US runs on. Example is Citi closed it's doors, stuff would shut down, so who would pick it up, well the other big boys would be closed too. We may have to just disagree on this point. I hate the cliche "they are too big to fail", but it's not about how much money they make but how ingrained they are to everyday life for US citizens and US businesses. You can layoff the million people and close the doors and we can all find a new place to hide our $5, but there is so much more. I say we do learn from our mistakes, but they won't be going anywhere IMHO.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,127,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You wanna go tit for tat?

1. I NEVER said Ramsey followers were only out there to make him rich.
2. There are many finance gurus out there and they all have their own bandwagons.
3. By posting repeatedly your advice, you're shoving it down people;s throats.
4. I have said REPEATEDLY that you know NOTHING of my debts (maybe with some of that money you're stock piling you could get some reading comprehension lessons)
5. I never said paying for something means buying it used or a lessor quality.
6. I never said a car loan saves money.
7. I do live responsibly and don't live like a Monk nor do I plan on it.

Oh and I'll keep giving you a headache! I have no problem with that.

And for your ignorance about NY, I'll give you a little lesson! The NY attitude you NC folks love to complain about so much is NYC not the entire state! So many of you NC people on this forum are so rude it's not even funny. It's been noticed by other forums as there was a whole discussion about it.

If you don't like people from other states moving there, TOO BAD! This is America and people are allowed to live wherever they want. If it sucks so bad, succeed from the US! Form your own country and then deny admission. Oh wait you need the money from the out of staters buying your houses and buying crap. People like you make it hard to want to vacation in NC and give you people a dime. There's a lot of other Southern states who don't act like you folks.

And if I bother you so much, there's a real simple solution: STOP responding to my posts! What a challenging concept!
SS20 - I have enjoyed your posts and I get exactly where you are coming from. There are methodologies and advice that will work for some of us - but not necessarily for others - and either way, that is fine.

But I gotta enlighten you on something. I know every person who is a regular on this forum and has posted on this thread, and I believe I am the only actual native, LOL. Your comments about "NC people" are actually about people who have lived here only a few years and a lot of them are from NY.

Seriously. I am not kidding.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-08-2009 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Addressed wrong poster (sorry, Sheenie!)

Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,036,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sheenie - I have enjoyed your posts and I get exactly where you are coming from. There are methodologies and advice that will work for some of us - but not necessarily for others - and either way, that is fine.

But I gotta enlighten you on something. I know every person who is a regular on this forum and has posted on this thread, and I believe I am the only actual native, LOL. Your comments about "NC people" are actually about people who have lived here only a few years and a lot of them are from NY.

Seriously. I am not kidding.

You responded to ss20, I think you got the wrong person (or wrong post?).

Old 04-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,518,915 times
Ani, you are always starting something!

Next it will be that peanut butter and chocolate don't belong together

Okay, so on the Ramsey point. I actually like Ramsey so I'm biased. That's the beauty of his philosphy it's common sense, he says this is the advise your grandmother would give you.. Anyway, he also says what he would do with his money. Debt regardless of how you categorize it, is a master/slave relationship. You can argue the other way that if Ray Crock didn't borrow the initial seed money that there would be no McDonalds (a good or bad thing)?

Either way, that's really neither here nor there. The issue is the CC contracts are structured such that your rate can be jacked up for any reason. You mailed your payment 2 minutes late or some other nonsense. However the flipside all those late payments, fees, and interest rates server to prop up a 100K employee company. It would be great if some BoA employees chimed in, I know they are here on this forum. We've consulted with a few big banks and I'd love to tell you how money is allocated for certain late night "expense accounts"- Chris has a joke, nothing good ever comes when you have to go to an ATM at 2am....

There's been talk about all sorts of marches, protests, etc, regarding how ticked off people are at the banks. I bet if there were a concerted effort to mobilize a transfer of 1000 accounts from BoA to small neighborhood banks, say it happens on the same day at the same time. You'd get a lot of press behind it, and the BoA board room would notice it. 1000 may not be a lot but the national press something like this would generate would be enough to compel them to take notice.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:46 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,036,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
ok forgetting the SS/Metal battle royal over ramsey....

Sheenie, I agree somewhat, but where I think my main issue is.. How can you let the Banks fail? Are you referring to Wells, BofA, Citi, Chase and a few others? Thats over 60% of the electronic comerce that the US runs on. Example is Citi closed it's doors, stuff would shut down, so who would pick it up, well the other big boys would be closed too. We may have to just disagree on this point. I hate the cliche "they are too big to fail", but it's not about how much money they make but how ingrained they are to everyday life for US citizens and US businesses. You can layoff the million people and close the doors and we can all find a new place to hide our $5, but there is so much more. I say we do learn from our mistakes, but they won't be going anywhere IMHO.
lol yea, weird fight.

Yea I hear ya on the too big to fail thing. But it's just scary how the ones who made mistakes get bailout money and get to survive and get EVEN bigger! That puts us in a situation where we can't turn to other places for deposits/lending. BofA I think now owns more than half the deposits in America. So if they mess up again, they know govco and taxpayers will be there to foot the bill again. They know they can do whatever they want.

I do agree though, don't think they'll be going anywhere. If a part of society starts to fight against them, there will probably be an all out war.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,127,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
You responded to ss20, I think you got the wrong person (or wrong post?).
Oh dear me. That is what I get for trying to work and post here, too! Sheenie, you are right. I just went back and corrected. Geeez. I meant to write to SS as she doesn't know everyone here.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,196,944 times
It is scary. Banking is such a signifcant oligopoly, it is scary. But lots of industries are like that. We had the Big 6 Accounting Firms (that worked out well), we have the big 3 automakers (eek), we have the 3 braches of gov't (triple yikes). There are smaller banks, but I use 3 banks for a reason, one os for basic checking/savings were I use their ATMS, one for real savings, best interst rates but little access and a 3rd for a better credit card.

Ironically, you mention the BofA deposits, if they would have just stayed in that and ignored Merrill, things may have been very different. But then Merrill would have potentially failed and I think that would have been worse. Right now the stimulus and "bailout" (I still hate that term) were the lessor of the evils.

I think I am done with this one.. Ani.. good luck..

Old 04-08-2009, 04:00 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,652,068 times
I think the point of this whole thing is that banks (whatever bank it is) don't care about customers. Shareholders are their only concerns.

Excessive bank fees have been around forever so the notion that this is something new is not correct. Remember BofA and other banks started double dipping on ATM fees?

Bank of America's Education Campaign Can't Repair Harm From Excessive Fees

There is no loyalty to anyone. That's the way I look at it. If I can beat the cc companies or banks, I'm going to do it. No one is looking out for me except #1. That's the way I've always been taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte