U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:06 PM

35,886 posts, read 62,376,482 times

Advertisements

MADDY - Where to start? So agree w/ everything you said! And really appreciate the story re: the Maiden Mills owner.

But for some reason . . . that video just bowled me over! And it seems to fit into this whole discussion about having our voices heard, but I am not sure why, LOL!

A movement can start w/ only a few people. The unexpected nature of what occurred in the video - and people's reactions to it - made me think of how so often we are actually very open to an idea, but until someone else presents it to us, we don't take action.

So in some inexplicable way (besides giving me a BIG SMILE) - the video seems to correlate to people stepping outside their boxes and doing the unexpected.

Thank you sooooo much for your wonderful post - and for sharing a most delightful video!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:35 PM

28 posts, read 81,730 times
anifani821
By the way, that video was all choreographed (except the delighted bystanders). Approx. 200 dancers did this for a talent show to find a new "Maria" for a theatrical venture. There is some info on YouTube.
But, I love it. It made me smile and cry, all at the same time. I send this to everyone I know. It evokes a lot of different reactions. T-Mobile did something similar, but not nearly as well.
Your posts on this thread have really gotten me thinking again. I really like the way you write. Very insightful. I'm so glad I happened onto to this forum. Thanks

Old 04-24-2009, 04:42 PM

If anyone's interested, here's the Forbes article. One of the women is at BofA - boy, does she have her work cut out for her!!!

Cleaning Crew - Forbes.com

Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 PM

Thanx, Maddy! We're glad you stumbled onto this forum, too, and hope you will stay! We have a great Charlotte C-D family.

I had seen the T-Mobile commercial . . . but as you said . . . this little video delights b/c of the bystanders! Seeing them shift their mindset so quickly to enjoying the moment . . . I LOVE IT!!!

Appreciate the Forbes article. Stick around and check out the other threads . . . we often have people asking about daytrips - you might enjoy heading down to NC and checking things out here sometime. I know I love Tidewater VA.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 AM

Default The Dog & Pony Show Results

Well folks, the news is out. The banks bought Wash. D.C. again - this time using our bailout money. The meager rules that were outlined by our heroic statesmen/women have been finalized. Not only are these new rules not worth much in terms of helping us, they won't go into effect UNTIL NEXT YEAR! I am disgusted!

I know that for the next election, I will be voting out the incumbents. How bad does it have to get before our representatives (I use the term loosely) understand that a lot of us are drowning out here, in many cases, thanks to the banks and their ever-increasing rates, min. pmts, elimination of credit lines etc.

Okay, people, time to toughen up. Start sending those emails, letters etc. to as many of our illustrious legislators as possible. You don't have to send them just to your specific rep., send to everyone! If you have time to read this thread and/or post to it, then you have time to email at least one or more contacts in D.C.

The other troubling thing (to me) is that this was just a brief blip on the morning news. No outrage, no legislator called upon to justify this mess, just another very minor item to be reported.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1001 View Post
Well folks, the news is out. The banks bought Wash. D.C. again - this time using our bailout money. The meager rules that were outlined by our heroic statesmen/women have been finalized. Not only are these new rules not worth much in terms of helping us, they won't go into effect UNTIL NEXT YEAR! I am disgusted!

I know that for the next election, I will be voting out the incumbents. How bad does it have to get before our representatives (I use the term loosely) understand that a lot of us are drowning out here, in many cases, thanks to the banks and their ever-increasing rates, min. pmts, elimination of credit lines etc.

Okay, people, time to toughen up. Start sending those emails, letters etc. to as many of our illustrious legislators as possible. You don't have to send them just to your specific rep., send to everyone! If you have time to read this thread and/or post to it, then you have time to email at least one or more contacts in D.C.

The other troubling thing (to me) is that this was just a brief blip on the morning news. No outrage, no legislator called upon to justify this mess, just another very minor item to be reported.
No surprises here, LOL. The legislation that was passed last year (08) doesn't take effect til June of 2010, wh/ just gave the banks time to tinker w/ all our accounts. This new legislation doesn't deserve more than a BLIP on the radar as it is meaningless. All it does are some namby pamby things like require 45 days notice if a cc company is upping the interest rate. Big whoop. They are all basically doing that now - or giving at least a month. So big deal. Oh - and I believe it requires that billing cycles are longer than 2 weeks. That is rather meaningless b/c most cc companies do longer than a 2 week billing cycle.

So once again - a lot of rhetoric, but no action. The truth is . . . for banks, credit and debit cards are a HUGE source of revenue, b/c of fees. So it appears the consumer is once again sacrificed at the altar of bank revenue.

I don't even wanna hear it from people who say "well, you shouldn't have cc debt." The people I know who have cc debt did not run up the debt on consumer spending - they were laid off work or had medical bills and used credit to stay afloat during tough times - and are conscientiously paying it off.

And secondly, banks flooded all our mailboxes w/ credit card "deals" DAILY and you all know what I am talking about. So they did everything possible to court us and get our business . . . typically w/ 0% interest rates (for specified periods) or w/ low interest rates for "life of loan." Banks have reneged on their deals . . . despite consumers living up to their end of the deal (no missed payments; paying more than minimum; never exceeding credit line, etc).

It is simply bad business - what these cc companies are doing. The interest rates they are jacking these cards up to are punitive! It is outrageous but evidently, no one gives a flying flit about jerking around the average citizen out here. I fully understand when consumers don't "follow the rules," there are consequences. But for those who HAVE followed the rules . . . this is totally unfair - in fact, seems downright criminal to me. Might as well get your loans from some drug dealer or mafia type.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 722 times
I had the same experiences with both BofA *and* Chase -- I had an MBNA Amex and an MBNA GoldOption loan, both of which were never late, and both of which I paid more than the minimum each month. BofA bought MBNA, and closed both accounts (with balances) - which did my credit NO favors. And then post-closing the accounts, they tried several times to raise interest rates on CLOSED accounts to 21.24% or higher (which is NOT legal, and I was able to prevent - but they still *tried*). They did, prior to closing, raise my interest rates from 6.99 and 8.99 to first 9.99 and then 12.99 and 14.99 respectively.

As for Chase -- I had two cards with them, a VISA and a MasterCard.
My original deal with them was for high-credit-limit cards with (can't remember if it was 6.99% or 7.99% interest) fixed-rate.
I transferred balances to them, and was never once late with a payment nor over a credit line with either card.

First, they lowered my credit limits to my balances (which maxed my 'utilization', which did no favors to my FICO), then they raised my interest rates to I-kid-you-not 29.99% (!) , and *then* they closed both accounts with balances.

For someone who had been an excellent client for years, had never been a single day late with any payment ever, had never exceeded a credit limit (even when they neglected to notify of a lowered credit limit (!) , etc.

Mind-boggling.

CitiBank did something similar as well.

And now, having been forced to go out on permanent disability, I've also been forced to file for BK.
The saddest part is, if none of them had raised my interest rates, I'd've been able to make my payments even on my reduced income.
But because all of my creditors increased my interest rates from (anywhere from 4.99 to 9.99, up to 18.99-29.99%, despite the fact that prior to going out on disability I'd never been one single day late on ANY payment to ANY creditor, EVER), I am forced to file.
So, they've done themselves out of their own payments. Instead of receiving the fair and agreed-upon interest and payments from me, they'll get nothing at all.
And it's their own doing, in response to their unreasonable greed.

I just can't believe this is happening/has happened.
It seems unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte