Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:31 AM

7 posts, read 59,098 times

Advertisements

i just saw a house on realtor.com for $257,935--- it is in Fort Mill, SC (?).
4 beds, 2.5 bath, 0.25 acres, D.R. Horton is the builder in Legacy Park. Sounds like a steal compared to where I live in NJ.

Is Fort Mill a good place for kids? Where are the houses with basements?

Hoping to move by end of the year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 07:56 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,149,328 times
Legacy Park is a nice neighborhood with amenities. It is just over the border into SC from Union County and Mecklenburg County NC.

As a realtor, I am limited in what I can say about schools and opinions on what are good areas for kids. As a start, check the school report card website:

http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/ (broken link)

Legacy Park is in Lancaster County.

If you want to compare to NC schools, here is the report card website for NC:

http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/

You will not find a lot of houses with basements here. Basements can add $35K to $45K to the price of a home, and often (in particular with older homes) it is difficult to keep them dry. Many builders are including 3rd floor walkups as options.

We relocated from NY in 1998, and felt the same way you do about the housing prices and taxes. There is even a bigger gap now. I think that's why a lot of people are moving down here.

Moderator cut: Realtor advertising
Feel free to PM me

Best of luck to you

Old 03-29-2007, 09:12 AM

536 posts, read 1,688,526 times
Hi Charlottein2007,

We used http://www.greatschools.net/ as a way to investigate the schools. My kids are in Sandy Ridge School, and I was actually amazed by the principal the other day. I was signing in, because the schools allow you to come sit with your children at lunch (I think that is so cool! ), and some man approached Mr. Childers (the principal), and commented on what a good job he is doing. Well, I too commented on the fine job he is doing, and he asked MY name. When I responded he knew BOTH my girls names, BAM, just like that. (and it is not because they are in trouble alot or anything ). Needless to say I was blown away and shocked, being able to associate a last name so quickly with TWO children. Wish my memory was that good!

Keith

Old 03-29-2007, 09:36 AM

192 posts, read 685,769 times
Ft. Mill is great! Just moved here from So Cal. Lots of things to do in the area. We had a 1900sf house on a postage stamp lot in Calif and we bought a 3400sf home on .4acre in Ft. Mill. The kids have a YARD to play in, there's a park and pond right across the street. Neighbors are walking the trails in our neighborhood all the time. We lived in a terrific school district in Cal but I can honestly say that Ft Mill SC and Union Co. NC are great as well. They are both overcrowded but both areas seem to be on top of things. New schools are currently being built and more are in the planning stages. Hope you consider this area when you move.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:16 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,136,597 times
Legacy Park is in Fort Mill, but not in the Fort Mill School District; it's Indian Land Schools. Nothing wrong with that but you just should know the difference when you start to compare. The subdivision is nice. Moderator cut: Realtor advertisng

Old 03-29-2007, 10:57 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,192,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Legacy Park is in Fort Mill, but not in the Fort Mill School District; it's Indian Land Schools. Nothing wrong with that but you just should know the difference when you start to compare. The subdivision is nice. If you'd like to view homes there you can go to my website under my profile.
honestly businessperson I don't want you to think I am picking on you...cause I' not...but what you are saying up above is not totally correct.

Legacy Park is Not in Fort Mill,SC. Legacy Park is located in Indian Land, SC. Indian Land does not have their own zip code (which they really, really would like) but in fact are forced to use a Fort Mill zip code (29715). I dare ya...to ask anyone in Indian Land if they are located in Fort Mill...they are proud of their own area and would like nothing more to be separate from Fort Mill. There is a new zip code that will be coming out shortly for Indian Land (but for only certain parts of the area...so for the time being it will continue to be a bit confusing).

If someone is looking in this area...it does make a difference in regard to property taxes (Indian Land is in Lancaster County) - and schools in Indian Land are within the Lancaster School District.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:23 AM

192 posts, read 685,769 times
Question Indian Land vs Ft Mill

I did my research on the schools around here when we were getting ready to move so I knew the difference between Indian Land schools (Lancaster Co) and Ft Mill schools. But it SURE WAS CONFUSING! Still not sure why Indian Land in LANCASTER CO is part of Ft Mill which is in YORK CO.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggleflap View Post
I did my research on the schools around here when we were getting ready to move so I knew the difference between Indian Land schools (Lancaster Co) and Ft Mill schools. But it SURE WAS CONFUSING! Still not sure why Indian Land in LANCASTER CO is part of Ft Mill which is in YORK CO.
It is rather strange...course it doesn't help either when the spokesperson for the P.O. seems to add to the confusion

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/local/story/6436178p-5735186c.html (broken link)

Old 03-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottein2007 View Post
4 beds, 2.5 bath, 0.25 acres, D.R. Horton is the builder in Legacy Park. Sounds like a steal compared to where I live in NJ.

Fort Mill is a great place for kids and adults. There are some basements around....yet I would say the biggest percentage of new construction will not have them. You will see more of a selection of homes (with basements) in Tega Cay...due to the fact that our terrain is considered to be more rugged (which works out great for walk-out basements).

Another suggestion...(if you haven't done so already)...do a search on whatever area you are interested in (you can pull up alot of really good info. from past posts). There's also the SC side too...for info (in regard to the York County area in SC).

Good Luck to you!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 8,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottein2007 View Post

I just moved from NJ to Legacy Park last year. There are two parts to Legacy Park. The DR Horton side and the Parker Orleans Estate side. You want the Parker Orleans Estates. There are currently four homes over 3500sf for sale and they are all between 279 to 299k. Much nicer homes than the DR Horton homes.

The school system is one of the best in South Carolina. If you read up in the Fort Mill Times, the school was just ranked top in the state as well as their athletic program is excellent. They are top seeded in most sports for the state.

As for the basements, you won't see many if any. You will get a bonus third floor instead. IMO, you're better off with a third floor than a basement. Less water problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte