Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
So the public school asked his kids to leave and instead of making them behave..he pays over 30K a year for educations????? wow...
To be quite frank, people cannot be made to behave.

Also, I'm not sure what is meant by the description of "rowdy" but children cannot simply be asked to leave a public school. Children can be suspended, expelled or placed in more appropriate placements should their actions and behaviors warrant such measures. And the parents have options which allow them to fight such drastic measures should they feel its inappropriate.

Fortunately for this particular parent, he clearly has the personal funding which buys him even more options than the average family. And it sounds like he's getting his money's worth and his children are in an environment where they can succeed.

SL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 12:45 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
You will find a wide variety of opinions about all of the private and public schools around here. I know people who have taken their kids out of Latin and put them in Weddington.

Also, the $16,500 tuition is just the tuition. It does not cover sports, uniforms, books, fees, or any extra expenses. Most people I have talked to who have their kids there say they pay around 20K per child.

As far as working in the schools.....some offer tuition discounts and some don't. I have *heard* from a friend who was offered a job at Latin that they don't, but I don't know that for a fact. Some offer 50%. With 3 children, that doesn't help me much! LOL!

Dawn

Old 05-30-2007, 12:57 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
You are right, kids cannot made to behave however they can be raised to understand right from wrong and learn what is acceptable as far as public behavior and respect towards adults and others.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:22 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
You are right, kids cannot made to behave however they can be raised to understand right from wrong and learn what is acceptable as far as public behavior and respect towards adults and others.
You know what? I just re-read your initial post. My apologies as I misunderstood. I really thought you were trying to convey that the school wasn't doing enough for the children. I "get it" this time. Again, my apologies.

I suppose Dad took the easy way out. Hopefully, his boys are better off because of it.

SL

Old 05-30-2007, 02:35 PM

LOL that is ok..I was just thinking ok I too felt like dad took the easy way out by saying HERE let me PAY for them to accept the stuff you are dishing out! NO way no how in my house. Sure there are going to be bumps and teachers we don't care for, as long as they are not doing mental/physical harm I want them to learn that you may not like someone on a personal level but you just gotta move on. You can't pay your way out of things.. you know? I don't know...it makes you wonder are they stricter there or does money talk?

Old 05-30-2007, 03:23 PM

Well, I will just say that I was quite taken aback a few months ago when I heard they needed a school counselor. I looked into applying for a MIDDLE SCHOOL position and they didn't want a licenced school counselor, they wanted a licenced CLINICAL counselor!

There must be some pretty big issues those kids have.

Dawn

Quote:
LOL that is ok..I was just thinking ok I too felt like dad took the easy way out by saying HERE let me PAY for them to accept the stuff you are dishing out! NO way no how in my house. Sure there are going to be bumps and teachers we don't care for, as long as they are not doing mental/physical harm I want them to learn that you may not like someone on a personal level but you just gotta move on. You can't pay your way out of things.. you know? I don't know...it makes you wonder are they stricter there or does money talk?

Old 05-30-2007, 03:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Well, I will just say that I was quite taken aback a few months ago when I heard they needed a school counselor. I looked into applying for a MIDDLE SCHOOL position and they didn't want a licenced school counselor, they wanted a licenced CLINICAL counselor!

There must be some pretty big issues those kids have.

Dawn
I disagree Dawn. I think these schools hire the higher levels at whatever job they are hiring for because they want to offer the most trained faculty and staff they can. People spending that kind of money on tuition expect the best services possible, whether their childs "issue" is big or small.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 PM

A clinical counselor is not a "higher level" counselor, it is simply a different training. They both require the same amount of hours to get licenced, although one is in a clinical/office setting and one is at a school site. They also both require an MA with the same number of units to take to get there. Most clinical counselors don't want to work at a school site and most school counselors don't want to work in private practice.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I disagree Dawn. I think these schools hire the higher levels at whatever job they are hiring for because they want to offer the most trained faculty and staff they can. People spending that kind of money on tuition expect the best services possible, whether their childs "issue" is big or small.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:25 PM

Wow interesting...why would a school want a clinical counselor then? Does the administration realize that there is no difference as far as training goes but the type of training?

Old 05-30-2007, 04:30 PM

Well, that was kind of my point. Clinical counselors deal more with issues like anorexia, trichotillomania, and those sorts of issues.

School counselors deal more with family, school and academic issues.

Wonder what is going on there?

Dawn

Quote:
Wow interesting...why would a school want a clinical counselor then? Does the administration realize that there is no difference as far as training goes but the type of training?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte