Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 AM

165 posts, read 559,472 times

Advertisements

We are new to Charlotte. We grew up in AZ so we have had our fair share of pest/critter run ins. I am just unfamilar with the bugs I am finding in and around my home. I am finding gross green worms hanging from strings off my trees. Huge bees are hovering around my front and back doors. I have also spotted a few ant hills that seem to have thousands of ants. Obviously, we are going to get the house sprayed but is this normal or did I move into a buggy house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 AM

144 posts, read 403,965 times
sounds pretty normal to me. You probably need to get bands put on your trees for the worms, they're probably canker worms. The ants are probably fire ants, you need to get some ant killer and use a spreader to put it around your whole property. The longer you let them stay the nastier things will get. I don't know what to do about the bee though. They're pretty important for the environment so I usually just let them be.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:53 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
oh lawz.

canker worms, carpenter bees, and fire ants (oh my!).

welcome to Charlotte. Try to minimize your chemical footprint.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Regarding tree banding, I was told by a neighbor that this is usually done in November (meaning, doing it now won't help the canker worms), and that only oak trees need to be banded. Is she right?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Honey bees - leave alone. I suspect these are not honey bees. They may be a type of hornet or wasp.

Here is some info on identifying and controlling hornets and wasps:

Hornets and Wasp Control - Getting Rid of Wasp and Insect Hornet Nests

Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
The bees are probably carpenter bees and I use a small sand shovel to whack them. The thing about the carpenter bees as compared to regular bumble bees is that they will drill holes in wood, including your house, your porch, your handrails, the rocking chairs on your porch, etc. The females will return to the same nesting areas and you can end up with lots of bees and damage from them. If that isn't bad enough, woodpeckers will find your house and try to get to the larva. Really, you don't want to ignore the carpenter bees.

Bumble bees won't do the hovering around you or the house that carpenter bees will so you can be sure you aren't killing bumble bees or honey bees....those we want to leave alone but go ahead and have a whack at the carpenter bees.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,194 times
Take care of those fireants ASAP! But don't step on the mound. DH sprinkles fireant granules on the mound. I know to get rid of regular red ants I used to boil water and pour on the hill. It will kill the surrounding grass and make a brown spot, but no chemicals used.

Whatever you do, don't **** off a yellow jacket! I was watering last summer and these things start coming out of the ground and within seconds one crawled under my shirt and stung me in the back, hurt like a SOB! I'll take a honey bee sting over the yellow jacket any day, they swarm at you too!

They also have house centipedes and large black & yellow spiders and secada bugs, ewwww!

This year, I do swear that I, NASCARNancy will wear some sort of mosquito repellant when going out for walks in the evening.

Black snakes are good but know what a Copperhead looks like.

OK, we need to find the old spiders, bugs and snakes thread. Hlaw82, as a So Cal gal, I feel your pain.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:05 PM

513 posts, read 2,111,704 times
Really stay away from those fire ant hills. If you disturb the mound the ants will be everywhere and will bite you!!! You don't not want to get stung by a bunch of fire ants!!!!! Ouch!! They call 'em fire ants for a reason. And the bites will itch for WEEKS!!!! Just get some fire ant killer and put all over and around the mound but keep your distance!!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,485 times
Some info on carpenter bees from NC State University: Carpenter Bees - ENT/rsc-4

I imagine these guys dressed in little bee sized overalls with tiny tool belts ...

Old 04-11-2009, 11:08 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
It won't be long now before we start our annual war with clover mites (little red guys that look like a speck of dirt moving on the wall surface) and the good ol' Japanese Beetle which have pretty much killed the top half of two twelve foot trees in my yard over the past few seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte