U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:11 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,720,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejersey3 View Post
Tell me my choices again for retirement living? The way I see it once my kids leave I may need to age in place in my 4 bedroom house, because there are no choices. But I don't want to be maintaining such a large house and property. I guess I could move to a starter home community, there seem to be more than enough of them.
There ARE places for retirees to live! Sun city is one of them. There were others listed as well. Charlotte does not cater to retirees. Many stay home, move to smaller homes, or live with family.

If you don't want a large home, find a smaller one that works for you! It's really simple. There's tons of patio homes, townhouses, and condos as well.

Just because you don't like the options available to you in Charlotte doesn't mean that aren't options available. Retirement in Charlotte is not retirement in Florida. If you want when they offer in Florida, you have to go to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,720,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejersey3
No one should be bending code for anyone. But the county could have compromised with regard to doubling the sewer connection fees, after the project was approved. I'm sure that wasn't the main reason the project was cancelled, but in this economy they should have negotiated a settlement to help the project move forward.
The project was probably killed because of the current economic state. The builder probably just used the county commissioner as an excuse.

Sewer rates go up every year. Water has been a HUGE issue in the South due to the droughts. Many of these developments can be on the drawing board for up to 5 years before they actually start building. Things change.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 PM

79 posts, read 316,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
I sell homes for a new homebuilder and I tell you why they do not have more 55+ communities. They do not sell well. And developers and builders are going to put their money into what sells.

Now what DOES sell, is ranches and single story homes. That is something that is in huge demand and they are selling very, very well..

Again, its supply and demand.

I'll give you an example.. I had some folks who wanted to buy in my neighborhood and couldnt sell their home in Sun City. They had it on the market for a long, long time and just gave up.
Actually I just read in the Observer recently that sales are still booming in Sun City. With a resale is tough to compete when there is new homes on the market.

I think it is a stretch to say 55+ communities do not sell well, when there are so few communities that actually got started. I personally know at least 2 people that would be interested in buying into a retirement community in the Lake Norman area, where their kids live. They expressed serious interest in both the Baileys Glen and Carolina Ridge communites, and then the plug was pulled on both.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,058,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I know many people who have paid off their homes and live in the Northeast. If somehow they could sell tomorrow, they would not have $200K to buy a new home. And for many of them, they don't want a smaller home. They already live in small Cape Cods with 2 bedrooms. How much smaller do you need to go?

There ARE choices! You just sound like you like the choices in Charlotte. Charlotte is NOT a retirement mecca and NEVER will be! It's a CITY filled with young working people.

There's a ton of homes on Lake Norman. Many of them are pricey. The real estate there is very valuable and land is scarce so it's hard for Joe Smoe the Builder to come in and say he's going to build a 55+ community. First off, there isn't really a huge market for this in Charlotte. Maybe when all of the current NASCAR drivers retire, they can turn the coves into a retirement community. They'll all go whizzing by in their golf carts and go-carts.
But there are tons of people of people moving to NC instead of the FLs and AZs to retire. I'm not saying that the majority are choosing NC over FL and AZ as retirement spots, but NC is getting it's fair share.

In my eyes building more retirement communities in this state may be a boon in the coming years.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There ARE places for retirees to live! Sun city is one of them. There were others listed as well. Charlotte does not cater to retirees. Many stay home, move to smaller homes, or live with family.

If you don't want a large home, find a smaller one that works for you! It's really simple. There's tons of patio homes, townhouses, and condos as well.

Just because you don't like the options available to you in Charlotte doesn't mean that aren't options available. Retirement in Charlotte is not retirement in Florida. If you want when they offer in Florida, you have to go to Florida.
I'm not trying to be confrontational, but why can't retirement in Charlotte or Raliegh be just like retirement in FL or AZ?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Quote:
No state owes anyone anything. I am just curious why there is such an absence of such housing here. If they are such a poor idea then why are there so many in the NorthEast, Florida, Carolina coast?

I'll chalk it up to living in the land of youth. Everyone is just so young here.
I am all for senior care, assisted living, etc. I am a licensed nursing home administrator, so I have genuine concern for the elderly, regardless of what type of community they live in.

However, building communities to accommodate people who wish to relocate specifically to age-restricted communities is not something I hope to see here. Again, we have Sun City, wh/ has answered a need. But age-restricted communities are not integral to city planning and are not necessary to anyone's welfare, for that matter. In fact, they segregate a portion of the population f/ the rest of the community. Del Webb does as good a job as anyone, as far as what I have seen, but just b/c there are age restricted communities that are "done well" doesn't mean that we need a plethora of age-restricted communities in a growing metro such as Charlotte.

Some areas of the country try to attract retirees and if they can find huge expanses of land, then I guess it all works out. But in this region, we need many different types of housing to fill up that open land. Indeed, we are a growing, sprawling metropolis already. To cordone off whole communities and make them inaccessible b/c of age-restriction would NOT be wise.

My hope is that anyone wishing to retire here would want to live in an already established community and buy a house on the market, not require yet MORE new homes. We have homes sitting in inventory!

And lastly, why would a builder want to invest $$ into an age-restricted community at this point in time? The fact that you eliminate a huge portion of what FEW buyers are out there right now would not be wise.

There are plenty of safe, well-designed homes all over this region, many of them built to ADA standards (or easily retrofitted) wh/ can accommodate seniors wishing to move here.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Tell me my choices again for retirement living? The way I see it once my kids leave I may need to age in place in my 4 bedroom house, because there are no choices. But I don't want to be maintaining such a large house and property. I guess I could move to a starter home community, there seem to be more than enough of them.
Is your desire for an age-restricted community or simply a smaller, one level home?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am all for senior care, assisted living, etc. I am a licensed nursing home administrator, so I have genuine concern for the elderly, regardless of what type of community they live in.

However, building communities to accommodate people who wish to relocate specifically to age-restricted communities is not something I hope to see here. Again, we have Sun City, wh/ has answered a need. But age-restricted communities are not integral to city planning and are not necessary to anyone's welfare, for that matter. In fact, they segregate a portion of the population f/ the rest of the community. Del Webb does as good a job as anyone, as far as what I have seen, but just b/c there are age restricted communities that are "done well" doesn't mean that we need a plethora of age-restricted communities in a growing metro such as Charlotte.

Some areas of the country try to attract retirees and if they can find huge expanses of land, then I guess it all works out. But in this region, we need many different types of housing to fill up that open land. Indeed, we are a growing, sprawling metropolis already. To cordone off whole communities and make them inaccessible b/c of age-restriction would NOT be wise.

My hope is that anyone wishing to retire here would want to live in an already established community and buy a house on the market, not require yet MORE new homes. We have homes sitting in inventory!

And lastly, why would a builder want to invest $$ into an age-restricted community at this point in time? The fact that you eliminate a huge portion of what FEW buyers are out there right now would not be wise.

There are plenty of safe, well-designed homes all over this region, many of them built to ADA standards (or easily retrofitted) wh/ can accommodate seniors wishing to move here.
Well, I'm sure that you know that there are large metros in FL and AZ that contain a mix of retirement communities and normal communities. They can coexist and that doesn't stop growth of non-age restricted communities. I'm just saying.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I'm not trying to be confrontational, but why can't retirement in Charlotte or Raliegh be just like retirement in FL or AZ?
Because Charlotte and Raleigh are not Scottsdale or Orlando. We are NOT leisure communities. We are business communities. This is not hard.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Actually I just read in the Observer recently that sales are still booming in Sun City. With a resale is tough to compete when there is new homes on the market.

I think it is a stretch to say 55+ communities do not sell well, when there are so few communities that actually got started. I personally know at least 2 people that would be interested in buying into a retirement community in the Lake Norman area, where their kids live. They expressed serious interest in both the Baileys Glen and Carolina Ridge communites, and then the plug was pulled on both.
Was that article you read a paid for advertising supplement? Cause sales have not been booming in Sun City. Sales are not booming anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte