U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 AM

422 posts, read 1,215,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If there was such a great need, then developers would build what you're looking for. Clearly there isn't a high demand. There are communities out there, but you don't appear to like any of them for a variety of reasons.
Thank you! Ive been trying to get this point across and Its not getting through...

I work for a builder, Im not saying I know it all, but I know there IS NOT A DEMAND FOR 55+ COMMUNITIES!

I know you know 2 people who are interested, but its not enough!

The DEMAND now is in small 1 story ranch plans! Northerners and half backs are buying them!

When there is a BIG demand for 55+ communities, then WE WILL BUILD THEM.

In the meantime, find a nice little ranch in the area you so desire... if not, MOVE TO FLORIDA and/or AZ.

I dont care where you saw the article on Sun City.. the resells are not selling and cant compete with the builder... look at the MLS listings.

Lets move on to another topic, because this is like talking to a wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 AM

422 posts, read 1,215,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejersey3 View Post
I don't consider a discussion on a lack of age-restricted adult communities as being a malcontent. I do consider it room for improvement for the region to become world-class as I often hear.
YOU ARE NOT LISTENING! That is why folks are getting "snippy" with you.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 AM

2,165 posts, read 2,362,458 times
Quote:
.............. It is not like this up north.
You hit the nail right on the head!

Take a look at Detroit, Buffalo, NYC, Philly, etc. etc. etc.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:23 AM

79 posts, read 316,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I suspect the people you have heard describe Charlotte as "world class" are promoting the area to businesses.

If you talk to people who have actually lived here their whole lives, no one cares about being "world class" if that means our taxes are going to go up.

A discussion about age-restricted communities is one thing . . . disparaging remarks about why there are a limited selection of age-restricted communities in this region is entirely different.
I didn't make any disparaging remarks, I only stated fact and expressed disagreement with your viewpoint. That doesn't make my opinion disparaging, it just makes it different.

Regarding taxes going up, age-restricted retirement communities are cash cows to help mitigate that. They add zero population to the schools. Considering it costs on the order of $9000/child/year for a child's education, town/county/state planners should have an interest in that. Like I said earlier, maybe they prefer the alternative of yet another starter home community. Right now there is nothing to stop that.

The way I see it, you can have zero growth (which no landowner will ever embrace), wide-open growth (the current situation, which is causing the strain on infrastructure and increasing taxes), or something in between. The age-restricted communities fall in that in-between category. There is little in the way of public services required for them, and they bring in tons of money in taxes. Besides the social benefit there is a financial one.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
Thank you! Ive been trying to get this point across and Its not getting through...

I work for a builder, Im not saying I know it all, but I know there IS NOT A DEMAND FOR 55+ COMMUNITIES!

I know you know 2 people who are interested, but its not enough!

The DEMAND now is in small 1 story ranch plans! Northerners and half backs are buying them!

When there is a BIG demand for 55+ communities, then WE WILL BUILD THEM.

In the meantime, find a nice little ranch in the area you so desire... if not, MOVE TO FLORIDA and/or AZ.

I dont care where you saw the article on Sun City.. the resells are not selling and cant compete with the builder... look at the MLS listings.

Lets move on to another topic, because this is like talking to a wall.
Think about it, why is there such a demand in 1 story ranchers? Partly because there are no retirement communities!!! It's a chicken and egg situation. The builders won't know of demand until they try!!! And apparently Hovnanian and Pulte/DelWebb saw the demand 2 years ago when they got going on the 2 mentioned communities in the Lake area, which collapsed before they even built a single residence.

And you didn't understand my point about resales in Sun City .. they are NOT selling because you are competing with new construction by the builder! And that is not just on age-restricted housing, its all categories. Most people would much rather by new if their schedule permits, and retirees often have that flexibility.

You're welcome to not participate in this thread if you feel like you are talking to a wall. Now that's a disparaging remark!

I think everyone needs to think outside the box some.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
You hit the nail right on the head!

Take a look at Detroit, Buffalo, NYC, Philly, etc. etc. etc.
Detroit and maybe Buffalo are not what I was referring to. Suburbs of NYC and Philly do not have the problems with overbuilding.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 AM

5,557 posts, read 6,675,189 times
Quote:
I don't consider a discussion on a lack of age-restricted adult communities as being a malcontent. I do consider it room for improvement for the region to become world-class as I often hear.
thejersey3 - I think your question is valid, but you may be "ten years too early" in requesting the type of community you desire. I would suspect that most newcomers to Charlotte are Gen Xers and Yers. Many of these newcomers' parents are still working and would be reluctant to move at this stage in the game, thus the demographics are a bit limited!

The existing age-restricted communities tend (at least to my mind) to be pricey, even by NJ and California standards. They cherry-picked the wealthiest older newcomers and natives to establish these places (Sun City is a perfect example!). The Charlotte area, as many people have pointed out, is still a business-oriented area dominated by young families seeking a better quality of life, and many of those families are still in the process of establishing themselves. A lot of their baby-boomer parents will follow in a few more years, once the economy straightens out.

Most of the folks I know in my age group (I'm 56) are "comfortably ensconced" in neighborhoods with people of all ages. Retirees are here to be sure, but Charlotte has not yet reached the stage of being a retirement "hot-spot" quite yet!

The "Leisure Villages" that populate South Jersey and Florida are still a "ways" off. It may be a bit of a challenge to the Charlotte Metro area to develop them quite in the way you envision, given the vast size of the area and the lack of mass-transit that is readily available in the aforementioned places. If you stick them too far out, it seems like a "journey" to get anywhere, but if they are built close to many of the desirable places to go in Charlotte, they end up "pricing-out" many middle and lower-middle class retirees. Some areas may actively seek to keep age-restricted communities out (think Upper Saddle River or Colts Neck in NJ or Jupiter Fl) just for "appearances". Why? I'm not sure! Ambulances are cheaper than schools!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,646,872 times
I had to google Leisure Village. How many of these exist in NC? As a native the idea of retirement communities is foreign to me. It's just not part of the culture here. At what age do people move into one? What do they do? What are the benefits to living in one?

My parents are in the 60s and they have no desire to leave their home or neighborhood. They've lived in the same house for nearly 30 years and love it. The neighborhood has a nice mix of young families and older residents with adult children. This isn't in Charlotte but I imagine, as TheEmissary said, it's similar here.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
thejersey3 - I think your question is valid, but you may be "ten years too early" in requesting the type of community you desire. I would suspect that most newcomers to Charlotte are Gen Xers and Yers. Many of these newcomers' parents are still working and would be reluctant to move at this stage in the game, thus the demographics are a bit limited!

The existing age-restricted communities tend (at least to my mind) to be pricey, even by NJ and California standards. They cherry-picked the wealthiest older newcomers and natives to establish these places (Sun City is a perfect example!). The Charlotte area, as many people have pointed out, is still a business-oriented area dominated by young families seeking a better quality of life, and many of those families are still in the process of establishing themselves. A lot of their baby-boomer parents will follow in a few more years, once the economy straightens out.

Most of the folks I know in my age group (I'm 56) are "comfortably ensconced" in neighborhoods with people of all ages. Retirees are here to be sure, but Charlotte has not yet reached the stage of being a retirement "hot-spot" quite yet!

The "Leisure Villages" that populate South Jersey and Florida are still a "ways" off. It may be a bit of a challenge to the Charlotte Metro area to develop them quite in the way you envision, given the vast size of the area and the lack of mass-transit that is readily available in the aforementioned places. If you stick them too far out, it seems like a "journey" to get anywhere, but if they are built close to many of the desirable places to go in Charlotte, they end up "pricing-out" many middle and lower-middle class retirees. Some areas may actively seek to keep age-restricted communities out (think Upper Saddle River or Colts Neck in NJ or Jupiter Fl) just for "appearances". Why? I'm not sure! Ambulances are cheaper than schools!
I see you are familiar with some of the same areas as I ...

I agree the need or interest may not have fully developed here yet but it is here; witness the success of Sun City, and it will grow. Charlotte will probably never be a retirement destination, but there are many working people from other areas already here and their parents often wish to be close by. For that reason I wouldn't want to see all of these projects go near center city. They should be dispersed through the greater Charlotte area, so the parents can be near their kids/grandkids (35 miles to Sun City is a hike to see parents or kids every few days). And that would help resolve the pricing issue, since land is cheaper in the outlying area.

I don't doubt Colts Neck has restrictions, and that is the other side of the coin. In many NJ towns they are overrun with these communities and in others they are outlawed. There should be some balance, and that is where the planners come in.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
I had to google Leisure Village. How many of these exist in NC? As a native the idea of retirement communities is foreign to me. It's just not part of the culture here. At what age do people move into one? What do they do? What are the benefits to living in one?

My parents are in the 60s and they have no desire to leave their home or neighborhood. They've lived in the same house for nearly 30 years and love it. The neighborhood has a nice mix of young families and older residents with adult children. This isn't in Charlotte but I imagine, as TheEmissary said, it's similar here.
I'll answer some of your questions, age-restricted communites typically have a minimum age requirement of 55 of one adult living there, with no school-age children. Their activities and ammentiies are typically geared toward older adults. It's not for everyone, but I've personally witnessed that at some point in their lives seniors, if I can use that term, wish to kick back a little more, stop doing yardwork, associate with peers, etc. Its a nice way for them to have that, without having to worry so much about transportation. Transportation is one of the shortcomings of retiring in place; it basically becomes DIY or get your kids to help you. Many of these communities have supermarkets and doctors facilities nearby to minimize the transportation issues

As I said previously its really geared toward the 65 and up population, before they need any more structured environment. Although you can live in one at 55 I would agree many would choose not to, including me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte