Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,322,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindygirl View Post
Why wouldn't we think that?
Maybe because Charlotte is a city and Indian Trail is a town in the next county??? Do you often compare Manhattan to say, Washingtonville?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,108,720 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't we think that?
Because those areas are not CHARLOTTE. That is like saying I went to New York b/c I heard my friends rave about Manhattan and I decided I didn't like it b/c I had seen Binghamton.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
If I may offer my opinion, even though I am not moving to Charlotte, but already moved here last summer.

Before moving, my expectations were to find a "better life" - for me it meant less stressful life, and yes - I found what I was looking for. It took me 3 times as much time as expeced to find a job, but I love it - best job I ever had, and a short drive from home. My expectations included buying a house, but I spent almost all my savings and then some, while looking for a job, so no house for me in the nearest future - but I don't care. I love my appartment, and area I live in, I travel almost every weekend visiting nearby places and the weather is NICE. I love it here! Will never ever go back to the maddness of NYC. It took me almost two months of living here to get rid of "always rushing somewhere" sindrome I carried for years.
NAZIRA!!! I thought you have given up and left us! I am thrilled you posted and I am soooo happy to find that things have worked out for you. You need to post more often and tell us what all you are discovering about the area. I hope you enjoy Spring here now that you are truly settled.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:21 PM

7 posts, read 12,004 times
And for you, I never said Charlotte was a dump. Is it a common practice to assume or put words in other peoples mouth. Charlotee was very nice. People move for various reasons, and some make the move without thinking it through. They miss family, a favorite restaurant, the beach. There are many reasons so I can't speak for the Long Islanders you've met who were miserable. Someone originally posted and asked what they thought our expectations were. Remember, I had expectations, but they weren't met so I came home. No big deal. I'm sorry I don't feel that Charlotte or the surrounding area is somewhere I would want to call home, but you may not want to call New York or Queens or Manhattan home either and that would be your decision. You have your values and you know what you like and dislike and it may not be what I like or dislike. But to be insulted over that is crazy and nobody should be insulted because someone doesn't feel comforable in a certain area. It would be different if you invited me over and served me dinner and coffee and I left and said I hated it and would never come back to your dump. But I drove around, saw some beautiful homes, shopped, ate out and left. Would I come back, probably not. There are many places I've visited and would never come back. But I would never insult the people who decided to call it home.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
And for you, I never said Charlotte was a dump. Is it a common practice to assume or put words in other peoples mouth. Charlotee was very nice. People move for various reasons, and some make the move without thinking it through. They miss family, a favorite restaurant, the beach. There are many reasons so I can't speak for the Long Islanders you've met who were miserable. Someone originally posted and asked what they thought our expectations were. Remember, I had expectations, but they weren't met so I came home. No big deal. I'm sorry I don't feel that Charlotte or the surrounding area is somewhere I would want to call home, but you may not want to call New York or Queens or Manhattan home either and that would be your decision. You have your values and you know what you like and dislike and it may not be what I like or dislike. But to be insulted over that is crazy and nobody should be insulted because someone doesn't feel comforable in a certain area. It would be different if you invited me over and served me dinner and coffee and I left and said I hated it and would never come back to your dump. But I drove around, saw some beautiful homes, shopped, ate out and left. Would I come back, probably not. There are many places I've visited and would never come back. But I would never insult the people who decided to call it home.
You did insult people, evidently. And yes, your description - down to the "horrible" hotel room and "abandoned" stores - made the area sound like a dump. In fact, it sounded rather ghetto. I read it and pictured cobwebs and broken store windows and trash next to gleaming Mansions w/ unhappy people in them (now - how you knew they were unhappy - I didn't figure that part out).

Like I said - I don't care! I think you are very wise to recognize that you would not like moving here. It would be awful if you did move here and then found out later you were miserable here. We get people posting here who moved without even checking out the area and now are unhappy.

So I am not putting you down. Just very curious about why you were so negative at first about "Charlotte" when you didn't even visit Charlotte.

ETA: BTW - I don't think Charlotte is Utopia and I don't think it is for everyone. I have lived other places I liked as well or better. Just want you to understand - I agree w/ you that Charlotte is not for everyone. It all depends what you are looking for and where you look.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:35 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,633,724 times
Default enough

Why don't we just put a lid on this folks? C'mon this is illlogical, distasteful, and a waste of bandwidth. (Hey, not the thread just this LI girl one). Since I have been one of the chief instigators I'm bowing out first.

Don't want to be stressed when I'm thinking what color to use on my Easter eggs Sat. nite.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM

5,261 posts, read 5,180,504 times
Quote:
A holy hypocrite! People like you tend to bring up religion when you have nothing important to say -- and you can thank the New Yorkers and other northerners for making your place on the map. Im sure Charlotte would be nothing if it weren't for the poor and regretable decisions made by the New Yorkers who chose your god forsaken town to invest in. The poor people can't escape because people realized their poor decision when it was too late and now nobody wants to purchase their good for nothing -- worthless property. And the abandoned stores -- oh well, get used to them because anybody with half a brain wouldn't put a dime more into your cesspool of a neighborhood. There -- I insulted you now. Have a nice day for I'm deleting myself from this blog.
I'm just glad you didn't move here first like many have...you definitely wouldn't fit in here...that's real mature calling someone's neighborhood a cesspool...nothing here is as run down as some areas in The Bronx, or Queens and other areas of LI, yet you have the nerve to call our area a cesspool.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:50 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,633,724 times
Well anyway as I was saying "what are your expectations on moving to Charlotte"? Reflecting back on this the past few minutes I guess different people have different ways of expressing themselves in answering the question.

Next.
LOLANDWONDERINGWHERESOMEOFTHESEPEOPLECOMEFROM.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,261,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
next.
Lolandwonderingwheresomeofthesepeoplecomefrom.
+1

What IS very similar coast to cost is small town America.
Indian Trail or Waxhaw or (insert growing bedroom community here) is still similar to very small towns in New England, NY or NJ.
And all of those are very different than LI.

My wife's parents currently live in Bernardston MA which is very similar to Waxhaw, and much different than Charlotte.

The great thing about America is that we still have a lot of space.
You're free to roam about the country.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
well anyway as i was saying "what are your expectations on moving to charlotte"? Reflecting back on this the past few minutes i guess different people have different ways of expressing themselves in answering the question.

Next.
Lolandwonderingwheresomeofthesepeoplecomefrom.
theycomefromnewyork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte