Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:17 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,035 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, I am an Asian food fanatic (particularly Chinese and Thai). What do you think is the best Thai restaurant in Charlotte??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 PM

157 posts, read 790,701 times
I would have to say Thai House on 51......

Best Chinese: Dim Sum on Central

Best Vietnamese: Lang Van on Shamrock (I think)

Best Malaysian: Cuisine Malay

Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 AM

905 posts, read 3,454,359 times
The best Thai Restaurant ever in CLT was Thai Cuisine on Central Ave. They closed several years ago and the owners now run Mama Fu's @ Cotswald. However over the years the owners of Thai Cuisine were partners/associated with the owners of Thai Orchid @ Strawberry Hill and Monsoon Thai on South Blvd. They both have menus posted online and are pretty similar to Thai Cuisines old menu.
Menu (http://www.thaiorchidcharlotte.com/menu.html - broken link)
Untitled Document

Bangkok Ocha on 51 is pretty good. However the only thing I order there is their "cabbage" dish (not sure of the name) and their House Noodle.

Personally I am not a fan of Thai House on East Blvd.

I rarely eat Chinese but have been to Chens China Bistro @ University. They have sushi on the buffet so I love to go there for my sushi fix.

If I had to choose a favorite Thai restaurant I guess it would be Thai Orchid and Monsoon Thai a close 2nd.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 AM

210 posts, read 604,390 times
black fx, I'll have to try Thai House, as I love Dim Sum, Malaya, and Lang Van. For vietnamese, Ben Thanh on Central is also great.

Second on Monsoon -- place is usually a bit empty, they could use the business and the food is good. I also like takeout from Thai Thai in Dilworth in the shopping center near Outback.

Have not found any Thai here's that's truly amazing, though, none as good as the Vietnamese places or Malaya in their respective cuisines.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan R View Post
...I also like takeout from Thai Thai in Dilworth in the shopping center near Outback.
I thought that place closed some time ago, are they still open? I loved that place too, and would jump for joy if they're still around.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Ah ha!!! Found my own answer! They're only open for dinner hours now. I had no idea!!! I used to go during lunch hours on the weekend. I love this place. These are the people who used to own The King and I on Central Ave, which was my favorite Thai resturant. Love the stuffed Chicken Wings!

Thai Thai website: Thai Thai Takeout

Old 04-09-2009, 08:55 AM

830 posts, read 1,530,641 times
Went to Cuisine Malaya and while the food was decent, we were dissapointed in the Malaysian dishes we tried. The satay was just average, and the Mie Goreng basically tasted like Chinese lo mein and not like we've had in Malaysia at all.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times
Thai Emerald in Huntersville is Great. I like Golden Taipai for Chinese.. Not a buffet place, but they have a great Buffet on Sundays..

Old 04-09-2009, 09:05 AM

286 posts, read 1,045,547 times
Does anyone know of a great Thai takeout? Most of the places I know of are sit down and the one takeout I know of is Thai Thai Takeout on E Blvd; which I don't care for that much.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:48 AM

210 posts, read 604,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Went to Cuisine Malaya and while the food was decent, we were dissapointed in the Malaysian dishes we tried. The satay was just average, and the Mie Goreng basically tasted like Chinese lo mein and not like we've had in Malaysia at all.
It can be variable, maybe different chefs or something. Love the beef rendang, like Malaysian pot roast, very good. Also the roti canai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte