Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,657 times

Advertisements

Whats the most a landlord can charge you in late fees in one month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 07:17 AM

7 posts, read 14,603 times
North Carolina law provides that the late fee may not exceed $15.00 or five percent (5%) of the rental payment, whichever is greater.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:23 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
But be aware that the late fee is usually the first thing covered by the next payment. If you are late and I assess a $20 late fee, then you come and pay $500, you are paying the late fee first, and then the rent. This causes you to have another late fee because you didn't pay the rent in full.

$500 + $20 (late fee) - $500 payment = $20 in rent still unpaid = late fee.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,565 times
Process to eviction tenant with no lease. Has been asked to vacate will not leave has not paid rent.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yk1967 View Post
Process to eviction tenant with no lease. Has been asked to vacate will not leave has not paid rent.
step 1) find a LL oriented RE lawyer who does this regularly.
step 2) stick to him like glue and see what/how he does it.
step 3) amend your lease so that it complies with the law
step 4) when something comes up in the future? "nip it in the bud"
step 5) if/when you need to do the civil process of eviction yourself
know the letter of the law and follow it using the example you paid that attorney
back there in step 1 to show you how up close and personal

hth

Barney Fife - Nip It - YouTube
hth

Old 11-05-2011, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,530 times
i wanna evict a live girlfriend.i am tired of her verbally and try to be physically abusive ways she wants to live as married but she leaves for 3 and four days at a time doing drugs and who knows what else. i dont trust in my home alone for fear of bringing her drug dealer friends around . and i refuse to let that happen. her name is not on anything she does nt pay any rent or pay any bills but she does recieve mail hear. im tired of the whole darn alcoholic,druged family. how long will it take me to get rid her out of my home and my life.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,121 times
the absolutely last day to pay my rent is on the 16th but I paid my rent plus late fees on the 17th and the apartment complex is filing an eviction notice. So what do i do?

Old 10-15-2013, 03:21 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARVAEZ View Post
the absolutely last day to pay my rent is on the 16th but I paid my rent plus late fees on the 17th and the apartment complex is filing an eviction notice. So what do i do?
If you are paid in full up to this day, the court won't allow the eviction through. But check your lease and see what it says about them ending terminating your lease early. Also might want to check out the real estate forum which has one just on renting.

ETA: http://www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
When is the rent actually due? The first of the month? If so, they probably give you a 5-day grace period and then wait the 10 days And then file. An eviction is a last resort. They probably got tired of constant late payments and filed for the eviction. You're lucky they don't file immediately after the grace period ends.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:59 PM

264 posts, read 854,175 times
First thing, read your lease and make sure you sent the proper notices to your tenant at the times your lease requires. Keep copies of all the notices. Then go to the courthouse and file the paperwork with the clerk of court. Again, check your lease bc some of them are very specific in regards to what notices are sent and what dates are followed. The magistrate will throw your case out if you didn't do what you were suppose to when you were suppose to. You will receive a court date in the mail within a few days and court will be within 10-13 days. Bring all your paperwork to court including your lease and copies of any notices sent. If you or the tenant are not satisfied with the judges ruling, you both have 10 days to appeal. Three weeks after the date of appeal, the court will assign a new date and mail it to you. Repeat above. If you win and no appeal was filed, on the 11th day after your winning court date (weekends included) you can file a writ and the sherrif will meet you at the residence and you can change the locks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte