Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:31 PM

616 posts, read 1,750,917 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for where I could find tomato plants that are not the run of the mill hybrids we see at all the big box stores? It would be fun to find some Black Krim, Green Zebra, or Orange Banana, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 04:12 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
I ordered mine from Gurneys. they have heirloom tomatoes too: Heirloom Rainbow Blend Tomato Seeds - Gurney's Seed & Nursery

Old 04-09-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I ordered mine from Gurneys. they have heirloom tomatoes too: Heirloom Rainbow Blend Tomato Seeds - Gurney's Seed & Nursery
Thanks! What kinds did you buy? If I could I would raise a zillion tomatoes!

I've ordered from Burpee and Gurney's before, was hoping for a local source so I could just buy a few after looking at them. Maybe I'll end up mail ordering and splitting my purchase with someone.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
When do y'all plant seeds? When is too late?

Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
I've had great luck with seeds from Renfrow's HW in Matthews.
My neighbor and I share a small garden, and I can't eat a store bought tomato anymore.
We planted asparagus last year and I am greatly looking forward to that.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,276 times
I ordered them too last year. I saw a couple of heirloom varietys at Lowes, but didn't really research much beyond that last year. I will have to try Renfrow's as mentioned above. I LOVE tomatoes too!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM

210 posts, read 604,152 times
There's a stand at the big Farmer's Market (the one near the airport) that has many different heirloom varieties -- plants, not seeds -- Saturday mornings. Still too early for full plants, probably. Norwood Garden Center on east side (on Albermarle, across from the Lowes) has a couple varieties.

If you want to try starting from seed, Baker Creek is a great place to order from. They have around 200 different kinds of tomatoes, plus dozens (hundreds?) of watermelons & melons.

Be careful ordering, as some heirloom varieties don't like the hot weather here. Brandywine, which is probably the most famous heirloom, didn't do well for me last year, think it was the heat.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1275 Heirloom Seed Varieties!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 AM

457 posts, read 1,177,391 times
Young's in Fort Mill on 521 just south of Ballantyne has an astonishing variety of organic tomato plants for only $3! Was there yesterday.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPie View Post
Young's in Fort Mill on 521 just south of Ballantyne has an astonishing variety of organic tomato plants for only $3! Was there yesterday.

Thank you - I think my husband will be in that area.

Love your name - ChessPie! Makes me want to bake!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan R View Post
There's a stand at the big Farmer's Market (the one near the airport) that has many different heirloom varieties -- plants, not seeds -- Saturday mornings. Still too early for full plants, probably. Norwood Garden Center on east side (on Albermarle, across from the Lowes) has a couple varieties.

If you want to try starting from seed, Baker Creek is a great place to order from. They have around 200 different kinds of tomatoes, plus dozens (hundreds?) of watermelons & melons.

Be careful ordering, as some heirloom varieties don't like the hot weather here. Brandywine, which is probably the most famous heirloom, didn't do well for me last year, think it was the heat.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1275 Heirloom Seed Varieties!
Thank you for the reminder about the Farmer's Market. What a great resource! Your comment about Brandywine is very useful also - we might have a very hot summer. Ahhhh, can't wait for real tomatoes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte