U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 15,546 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I was recently laid off and I can't find anything...the job market is tough right now! I thought maby I could nanny because i love kids but that seems like peanuts to take for watching someone's children full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:54 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,199,379 times
Your question reminded me of the time I was 13 and was paid 50 cents per hour to watch SIX rambunctious kids for 10 hours straight and THEN their friends dropped off their FOUR kids! All for 50 cents an hour. Plus I did a ton of housework.

If the other person drops off their child, it's $7.50 an hour. NC minimum wage is $6.55. It will increase to $7.25 an hour on July 24, 2009.

So if you really need a job, take it. But get a contract made up (there must be something on the Internet), and both of you sign and date it. Identify how many kids will be watched, what happens when they don't want you to watch the kids at the last minute (you need to be paid anyway), how holidays are paid (ask for payment), and which days you need off -- eventually. (Saying you're not responsible for the 7-year-old is insane; if she truly meant that, she would need to be reported to child services. I don't think she meant it. She's just trying to be cheap.)

I would suggest requesting payment in advance as well. People like that will stiff you.

Identify exactly which tasks you'll do: vacuuming and wiping down kitchen counters, yes. Cleaning up the ton of dishes they left for you from the night before? No! Folding clothes? Yes. Washing clothes? No. (Or maybe the other way around.) Decide what you are comfortable doing. Your primary job should be watching the children.

Don't let them turn you into a slave.

Also identify what you'll do in an emergency, too. You should have all phone numbers and insurance information, for example. If you make a wrong move, it sounds like she'll make you suffer.

Identify what happens when her friend decides to stop using you. You STILL need to get $7.55 an hour. So it's up to her to either pay it or find someone else.

Be very specific and good luck.

Meanwhile, look for something else!

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-10-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 12:59 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,666,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Caring about my kids has nothing to do with it. Believe me, I'm practicing self restraint right now, because your PERSONAL attack nearly prompted me to tell you to go F*** yourself! When I make $20 an hour, and am literally responsible for decisions that affect whether someone lives or dies, it doesnt make a bit of sense that YOU should get paid $15/hr to sit on your @ss and watch television. What special skill are you bringing that merits $15/hr? Are you Mary Freakin Poppins?? Doubt it!!!

Honestly, I see absolutely NO correlation between being raped by a babysitter and how much I care for my children. But, if you need references, I'd be happy to provide them. In the interim, keep you moronic, self serving comments to yourself.
I will only say this. I have been a nanny before and I am a stay at home mom now and both time I earned way more than I got paid and $15 and hour is a fair wage for caring for a child well. I did not watch TV also!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:06 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,129,494 times
wow. I guess caring for infants and young children requires nothing more than sitting on your behind and watching tv. I'm glad there are no "decisions that affect whether someone lives or dies" involved. When you ask someone to care for your children, your flesh and blood, the reason you go out to work at your
$20/hour job, you should compensate them accordingly. I can tell you this: if I were only paid $5/hour (which wouldn't happen, since I wouldn't take less than $12-$15), I absolutely would not give a damn about what your children were doing, and I probably would sit and watch tv. Maybe that's where your misconception about caregivers comes from.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:44 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,304,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
wow. I guess caring for infants and young children requires nothing more than sitting on your behind and watching tv. I'm glad there are no "decisions that affect whether someone lives or dies" involved. When you ask someone to care for your children, your flesh and blood, the reason you go out to work at your
$20/hour job, you should compensate them accordingly. I can tell you this: if I were only paid $5/hour (which wouldn't happen, since I wouldn't take less than $12-$15), I absolutely would not give a damn about what your children were doing, and I probably would sit and watch tv. Maybe that's where your misconception about caregivers comes from.
And, perhaps your sense of entitlement comes from being a spoiled child, of wealthy parents? Hey, if you can blindly grasp, so can I! My point is, who in their right mind can justify being paid 3/4 of what their employer makes? For the record, exactly how many true life and death decisions have you made?

Seems you're telling us that the only person who is going to adequately care for my children is the person whom I considered overpaid at $15/hr. Following that logic, is the only mechanic that's going to properly maintain my car the one who charges $100/hr rather than 75? Or, is the only doctor who will properly care for me the one who makes $250k a year rather than the one that makes $150k? Probably not. Truth is, most anyone can babysit- and there are plenty of sitters that can do the job very well, without hosing the parents.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:52 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,270,313 times
Try to get more money but talk down the hours if not. If $200/week is all they can afford, work only 15-20 hours a week. $10/hour is OK, not great, but no way should you take $5/hour. I made that at McDonald's as a teenager in the early 90s.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:59 PM

416 posts, read 808,892 times
Wages boil down to supply/demand. In your case supply does not exceed demand (in other words, I seriously doubt they find someone reliable to watch their kids for $5/hr). I'd ask them how much they are currently paying for daycare. I guarantee its much more than what they offered you. In addition (with you) they get their 7 year old daughter and her friend supervised and can share your costs with a coworker. Plus they expect you to clean? Crazy.

They are taking advantage of you. Don't let them.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:05 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,659,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hs12210 View Post
I have a family that is interested in me as a nanny for them for 35-40 hrs a week. They have one 19 month old. I would also be walking their school age girl(I think she is 7) home from the school bus every day. They say I wouldn't be watching her because her little neighbor friend comes over every day after school and they play alone together. I still consider that watching two children as she is in the house without parental supervision. They currently have the child in daycare but want him to be at home where he is more comfortable. They also would have me doing housework as well for them during naptime. They offered $200 a week under the table...which averages to $5 an hr...not even minimum wage. They also said they have a coworker who may be interested in bringing their child over to the house every day as well. That would bring it up to $300 or so. I have never worked as a nanny before but have alot of experience working in daycares and babysitting when I was younger. I just want to make sure this is fair for the going rate in Charlotte. Is this fair compensation?
I think this family is trying to take advantage of you. I had alot of experience with nannies (9 years) and I can see a bad situation happening if you work for this family. I think it is wrong also for a family to not go by IRS rules and pay you Social Security as well. I had a nanny for our 2 kids. I'll preface that my nannies were trained so I'm sure I paid on the higher scale but this will give you some perspective.We hired ours from the English Nanny & Governess School (zoh) which is probably one of the few schools where you can get a degree. Our last nannie had a 4yr degree. The last year we used a nanny was 2004. At that time we paid her $550/wk, she worked from 7:30am-6pm and one overnight/wk M-F. Keep in mind that the kids were in school those last few yrs. My experience is most families pay under the table and some hire non-US citizens to save money. I always paid taxes and handled W/H for my nanny. We treated her as part of the family. I also paid for healthcare, gas mileage, cell phone, use of credit card.....and sometimes car repair.

Last edited by ZnGuy; 04-10-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 02:07 PM

314 posts, read 1,025,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
And, perhaps your sense of entitlement comes from being a spoiled child, of wealthy parents? Hey, if you can blindly grasp, so can I! My point is, who in their right mind can justify being paid 3/4 of what their employer makes? For the record, exactly how many true life and death decisions have you made?

Seems you're telling us that the only person who is going to adequately care for my children is the person whom I considered overpaid at $15/hr. Following that logic, is the only mechanic that's going to properly maintain my car the one who charges $100/hr rather than 75? Or, is the only doctor who will properly care for me the one who makes $250k a year rather than the one that makes $150k? Probably not. Truth is, most anyone can babysit- and there are plenty of sitters that can do the job very well, without hosing the parents.
your first mistake and misconception is that you seem to think that $15 a hour is a fair wage for a firefighter or police officer. They should easily make twice that for the job they do every day.

Seriously though, more times than not, you get what you pay for. Is that a steadfast rule that never fails? Absolutely not. Your assumption that all babysitters are the same is not true though. Generally, you get what you pay for.
The price that people working as a nanny say is fair is $15/hour. You suggest that $5 an hour is fair and would expect the same service for that price. That's 1/3 of the normal price. Using your example of a mechanic, which you top out at $100/hour. Considering that $100/hour is what you would expect to pay you get your car fixed, how good of a job would you expect the mechanic offering to fix your car for $33/hour. That seems pretty low to me and I would feel a little cautious letting him fix my car.
Take that a step further and assume that your car is a one of kind, custom machine that can never ever be replaced. Still trust it to the super discount mechanic?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-10-2009 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: debate topics and not members

Old 04-10-2009, 02:17 PM

129 posts, read 361,569 times
A fair wage would be 12-15 dollars an hour in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte