Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 PM

284 posts, read 605,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post
Hoagie, your first mistake and misconception is that you seem to think that $15 a hour is a fair wage for a firefighter or police officer. They should easily make twice that for the job they do every day.

Seriously though, more times than not, you get what you pay for. Is that a steadfast rule that never fails? Absolutely not. Your assumption that all babysitters are the same is not true though. Generally, you get what you pay for.
The price that people working as a nanny say is fair is $15/hour. You suggest that $5 an hour is fair and would expect the same service for that price. That's 1/3 of the normal price. Using your example of a mechanic, which you top out at $100/hour. Considering that $100/hour is what you would expect to pay you get your car fixed, how good of a job would you expect the mechanic offering to fix your car for $33/hour. That seems pretty low to me and I would feel a little cautious letting him fix my car.
Take that a step further and assume that your car is a one of kind, custom machine that can never ever be replaced. Still trust it to the super discount mechanic?
+1 for common sense in response to way too much emotion over this subject.

Last edited by Gator803; 04-10-2009 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: typ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 02:30 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,862,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post
Hoagie, your first mistake and misconception is that you seem to think that $15 a hour is a fair wage for a firefighter or police officer. They should easily make twice that for the job they do every day.

Seriously though, more times than not, you get what you pay for. Is that a steadfast rule that never fails? Absolutely not. Your assumption that all babysitters are the same is not true though. Generally, you get what you pay for.
The price that people working as a nanny say is fair is $15/hour. You suggest that $5 an hour is fair and would expect the same service for that price. That's 1/3 of the normal price. Using your example of a mechanic, which you top out at $100/hour. Considering that $100/hour is what you would expect to pay you get your car fixed, how good of a job would you expect the mechanic offering to fix your car for $33/hour. That seems pretty low to me and I would feel a little cautious letting him fix my car.
Take that a step further and assume that your car is a one of kind, custom machine that can never ever be replaced. Still trust it to the super discount mechanic?
I never said, nor did I imply that I felt $15/hr was fair for a fireman, cop, etc. I simply said that's what they're paid. I also never said I thougt the $5/hr offer was a fair offer. I simply said $15/hr to babysit was ridiculous. My babysitter charges us $8.50, babysits in her house, makes sure homework is done, and feeds the kids. I'm not asking her to make sure they're fluent in 3 languages. I'm not asking her to teach them calculus. She's not performing physicals, and treating medical problems. She's performing a service (very well, I might add), at a reasonable rate.

Considering that the average household income in Charlotte is around $60k, it's fair to assume that literally 50% of a household budget should go to child care? (15/hr x 40 x 50= 30k/yr). As for the mechanic scenario- IMHO they are grossly overpaid. Another case of society's messed up priorities...

Old 04-10-2009, 02:40 PM

284 posts, read 605,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I never said, nor did I imply that I felt $15/hr was fair for a fireman, cop, etc. I simply said that's what they're paid. I also never said I thougt the $5/hr offer was a fair offer. I simply said $15/hr to babysit was ridiculous. My babysitter charges us $8.50, babysits in her house, makes sure homework is done, and feeds the kids. I'm not asking her to make sure they're fluent in 3 languages. I'm not asking her to teach them calculus. She's not performing physicals, and treating medical problems. She's performing a service (very well, I might add), at a reasonable rate.

Considering that the average household income in Charlotte is around $60k, it's fair to assume that literally 50% of a household budget should go to child care? (15/hr x 40 x 50= 30k/yr). As for the mechanic scenario- IMHO they are grossly overpaid. Another case of society's messed up priorities...
I think what jstevens44 was trying to say, and I liked what he said, is this - market determines price. Hoagie, you may consider $15/hr to be too high for your particular market. I also consider that slightly too high, so I likely would not use the services of someone who charged that much. We have three kids and tend to use people who have various certifications (CPR, teachers at preschools, etc) and we usually pay $10-12 per hour. I'm sure I could find someone cheaper, but I wouldn't be comfortable with their level of expertise because in this market, if they were only getting that $8.50/hr it would likely mean their skills aren't in demand. And yes, I would argue that it does take a particular skillset to meet the demands of and have a calming influence on my three children.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,130,775 times
Now I understand Hoagie. You are talking about BABYSITTERS. This is a thread about NANNIES. There is a huge difference. Incidentally, how old is your babysitter? I saw in another of your threads that you were having trouble finding one for your 4 children, and you mentioned pay in that one as well. I don't babysit anymore, but when I did, I charged $20/hour for 4 children. I have worked with young children and infants for over 16 years and I make life or death decisions every day. I might not be a medical professional, but when I am caring for someone's child, I treat the child as if he/she were my own. I don't think that you can compare the person who fixes your car to the person who cares for your CHILDREN. In the latter case, you absolutely get what you pay for. Anyone who is worth it is never - never - going to watch 4 children for only $8.50.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:49 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,862,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Now I understand Hoagie. You are talking about BABYSITTERS. This is a thread about NANNIES. There is a huge difference. Incidentally, how old is your babysitter? I saw in another of your threads that you were having trouble finding one for your 4 children, and you mentioned pay in that one as well. I don't babysit anymore, but when I did, I charged $20/hour for 4 children. I have worked with young children and infants for over 16 years and I make life or death decisions every day. I might not be a medical professional, but when I am caring for someone's child, I treat the child as if he/she were my own. I don't think that you can compare the person who fixes your car to the person who cares for your CHILDREN. In the latter case, you absolutely get what you pay for. Anyone who is worth it is never - never - going to watch 4 children for only $8.50.
From this point forward, I will defer to the "Queen of Childcare". I will be sure to call our sitter, and inform her that she's not worth the $8.50 she charges. She certainly needs to hone her sense of greed, and charge me twice- hell, make it 3 times what I pay her now! In the meantime, I'll work 20 hours of overtime a week, so I can afford for her to make more than me. Thank you for helping me to see the err of my ways!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Lets simmer down on the topic.

Debate the topic and not members.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

I think you are right, you and Hoagie are talking about two different things...there IS a big difference between a nanny and a babysitter. Hoagie, nannies in Charlotte really do make a minimum of $400. a week - that's because they do a whole lot more than "just babysit".

Old 04-10-2009, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 17,532 times
I have a four year bachelors degree as well...I just can't find any other work right now. It's not like I'm a 16 year old from down the street... I'm an educated professional. I personally think it's kind of insulting to get an offer like that. I'm definitely turning it down. Thanks for all your advice.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:23 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,696,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hs12210 View Post
I have a four year bachelors degree as well...I just can't find any other work right now. It's not like I'm a 16 year old from down the street... I'm an educated professional. I personally think it's kind of insulting to get an offer like that. I'm definitely turning it down. Thanks for all your advice.

My take: Someone trying to cash in on your misery. I wouldn't bargin with them. I would tell them I don't care to work for chislers.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:42 PM

38 posts, read 131,514 times
Default Be careful

You are correct to assume any child in the home will be under your care so take that into consideration when deciding how much to negotiate per week. Even if the parents say that the child is away in their bedroom playing with a friend the whole time...both of those children will fall under your care should anything happen or anything need to be done for the children.

Also remember that most nanny's from nanny services do not do housework unrelated to the children they are caring for. (Not even laundry) so that would be a separate charge if your possible future employers were to go through traditional services they would be hiring a nanny for watching and taking care of their children and a housekeeper for general housework and household care.

I hired a nanny a year ago when I went back to school full time and let me tell you that even though it was a different area (Michigan vs. North Carolina where we live now) that is on the low side (even for under the table it is low!) and expecting more than normal. My opinion would be to negotiate on the pay (higher) and offer to do a pre-determined list of chores as long as the children do not need your attention, the children should be a nanny's number one priority and I would think the parents would expect this.

Good luck and be careful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte