Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 17,485 times

Advertisements

I have a family that is interested in me as a nanny for them for 35-40 hrs a week. They have one 19 month old. I would also be walking their school age girl(I think she is 7) home from the school bus every day. They say I wouldn't be watching her because her little neighbor friend comes over every day after school and they play alone together. I still consider that watching two children as she is in the house without parental supervision. They currently have the child in daycare but want him to be at home where he is more comfortable. They also would have me doing housework as well for them during naptime. They offered $200 a week under the table...which averages to $5 an hr...not even minimum wage. They also said they have a coworker who may be interested in bringing their child over to the house every day as well. That would bring it up to $300 or so. I have never worked as a nanny before but have alot of experience working in daycares and babysitting when I was younger. I just want to make sure this is fair for the going rate in Charlotte. Is this fair compensation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 01:09 PM

311 posts, read 912,155 times
NO, 5/hr is NOT fair at all. Demand more or look for something else.. unless you are desperate. To me, even $10 an hour is not fair. But it would be better than 5.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:12 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,991,170 times
Not at all fair compensation in my book but you need to weigh how much you need $$. I think they are taking advantage. Maybe that is all they can afford, but if so they should NOT be asking you under any circumstance to do housework. Instead they should recognize the fact you are under paid & therefore give you naptime to relax to balance out the low pay. Be careful, sounds like the won't be the best "bosses" to work for. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,020,054 times
Default No not at all

For what you are doing I wouldn't take anything less then $15.00. Pm me for my salary.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:36 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,841,648 times
Dang! $15/hr?? Are you freaking kidding me??? I know nurses/teachers/cops/firemen/EMTs that barely make that! And you think watching 2 or 3 kids merits that? I cant swear to it, but I' betting you reside in South Park!! $5 is certainly low, but it's not like it's rocket science (or brain surgery) either!!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 PM

Default nope don't reside in southpark and neither do my clients...

I use to get paid $26 an hr. back in Philly when I was 20! ha! I get paid great down here too for a side job and I adore the family.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:40 PM

149 posts, read 533,537 times
I cant believe they told you that you wouldn't really be watching the 7 year old and her friend! That's like them telling you that they wont be paying you during the hours the baby naps because you aren't really "doing" anything during that time. My six year old has her little seven year old friend over every day, and trust me they DO require supervision (even though they play very well together).

In my opinion, paying 200 a week for a full time nanny of two (really THREE, if you count the neighbor girl!) plus housework is insane! You're worth much more than that. Taking care of kids is a tough job.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:42 PM

Default seriously

I would be nervous working for those people. A 7 year old can not watch herself!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 17,485 times
MJ, Your lucky...I need to find a gig like that!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:46 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,841,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
at least we all know how much Hoagie cares about his kids.
Caring about my kids has nothing to do with it. Believe me, I'm practicing self restraint right now, ! When I make $20 an hour, and am literally responsible for decisions that affect whether someone lives or dies, it doesnt make a bit of sense that YOU should get paid $15/hr to sit on your @ss and watch television. What special skill are you bringing that merits $15/hr? Are you Mary Freakin Poppins?? Doubt it!!!

Honestly, I see absolutely NO correlation between being raped by a babysitter and how much I care for my children. But, if you need references, I'd be happy to provide them. In the interim, keep you moronic, self serving comments to yourself.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-10-2009 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte