Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Ani, I am sorry, I can look around my office and I can tell you, with reasonable accuracy what kind of student each of my co-workers was. The lazy ones who didn't care about learning anything, they are the same way at work. The very intelligent ones who may/may not have done well in school; well, they shine at doing challenging work and are the ones that design the graphs or the power point presentations. You know that you can call on them for anything. And, those that were the mediocre students are most likely mediocre adults and mediocre workers. Unfortunately, school habits are what lay the groundwork for what their future. Kids that are not challenged in school usually quit and then they have two possible fates. Either they strive to excel and DO, or, they get into some seriously destructive behaviour. Some die. I have already stated where I think that the educational system has failed my son and many others just like him. In my case, we did the whole gamut, public, private and homeschool. I am not going to go into that again. I was fortunate in that my son decided to excel and taught himself where the system failed him. Most do not. Many give up. So, for the teachers out there who think that the kid is scamming or lying or lazy..think about that. You have a profound impact on these kid's lives and your opinion might mean the difference to that child whether they succeed in life or not.
Do you really think the educational system failed your son - or was it particular teachers and administrators who failed him by being impossibly rigid? Cause I have run across some wonderful teachers/administrators and some horrific ones . . . and the inflexible ones can make education a painful experience. THe system is only as good as the teachers - and besides teachers having to deal w/ students who do NOT want to learn (unlike your son) . . . there are teachers who lack imagination - and also those who don't want to work any harder than they must (so - they don't care about doing anything that requires deviation f/ their standard lesson plans).

If your son had been fortunate enuff to work w/ teachers who were creative, then his educational story might have been different. I know w/ one of our sons, a dedicated art instructor who recognized our son's talent - and help him grow in that area - changed his whole outlook about going to high school. He found a niche w/ photography. It made the world of difference in his self esteem as well as his ability to translate that success to other classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:44 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Do you really think the educational system failed your son - or was it particular teachers and administrators who failed him by being impossibly rigid?
I get where you're coming from with this. I think my frustration is that the educational system (in general) does not make it easy for the great teachers out there to be flexible and creative. I have long believed our country's schools are in desperate need of an over-haul. As individuals, teachers can only do so much. Teachers need a better system that helps them and encourages them to do their best for each student. I do realize a lot of the blame can be placed on the parents/home but regarding the teachers I think they all start with the best of intentions and then the system slowly chips away at that initial enthusiasm. You really need only look at the shameful salary teachers are paid to see they do not have the support they need/deserve.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Do you really think the educational system failed your son - or was it particular teachers and administrators who failed him by being impossibly rigid? Cause I have run across some wonderful teachers/administrators and some horrific ones . . . and the inflexible ones can make education a painful experience. THe system is only as good as the teachers - and besides teachers having to deal w/ students who do NOT want to learn (unlike your son) . . . there are teachers who lack imagination - and also those who don't want to work any harder than they must (so - they don't care about doing anything that requires deviation f/ their standard lesson plans).

If your son had been fortunate enuff to work w/ teachers who were creative, then his educational story might have been different. I know w/ one of our sons, a dedicated art instructor who recognized our son's talent - and help him grow in that area - changed his whole outlook about going to high school. He found a niche w/ photography. It made the world of difference in his self esteem as well as his ability to translate that success to other classes.
No, I would say that it was the system itself. Yes, we occasionally had a teacher that would encourage my son and would challenge him..(2-3 out of the entire 11 grade process), however, they were stymied by the "system". In kindergarten, he could not use the "regular" pencil and the "regular" paper (instead of the kind that teaches them how to write) because that went against "the rules". The private school was more of the same...kids had to fit in "the box" or they didn't "work out". No amount of testing mattered. They would not alter his "educational plan" or do anything to work with him at all. "He's smart enough to conform to the others" is what I was told. Even when he went to an art school for a year, nobody even tried to work with him academically...art, yes, they encouraged creativity...other classes, they were rigid and unyielding.

To this day, mention a classroom or a school to him that is not online or othewise learning at your own pace...and, he will steadfastly refuse to do it.

Again, I say that I am very fortunate that my son had his own inner drive and his own desire to excel. I know of other kids, just as intelligent that did not have that. One of these is now dead. Others are just floundering about. This really is something that needs to be addressed.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:44 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
The American school system is on a "feel good" mission. They want everyone to pass, graduate, and feel good about themselves. Schools have lowered their state assessments so that the average poor student in the "bad" school can pass the test. They have also created award systems that award students that put forth no effort in attempts to make them feel important. Our public school system is not geared towards creating rocket scientists.

There is so much valuable time wasted on disruptive and non-motivated students in the public school system that they are not institutes of learning an longer. They are facilities for babysitting in most schools. There are some good schools in the Charlotte area, but those schools are the ones where parents are involved and demand quality education. But, with the demographic makeup of the Charlotte schools mean that about 65 percent of the public schools will perform poorly. A school is only as good as its students, and it all stems from parents. Until the priority in schools change to achieving high standards in learning and not making kids feel good, we will continue to lag behind most other schools in the western world.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:54 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
Default My mom is a retired teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
The American school system is on a "feel good" mission. They want everyone to pass, graduate, and feel good about themselves. Schools have lowered their state assessments so that the average poor student in the "bad" school can pass the test. They have also created award systems that award students that put forth no effort in attempts to make them feel important. Our public school system is not geared towards creating rocket scientists.

There is so much valuable time wasted on disruptive and non-motivated students in the public school system that they are not institutes of learning an longer. They are facilities for babysitting in most schools.
She taught high school in S. Florida's public schools and would agree 100% with this statement. She had to pass a percentage of her students whether or not they knew the material and had to dumb down the classes throughout the years to do so. There were wonderful and talented students that were graduated from that high school, but they were not as many as could have been.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
I get where you're coming from with this. I think my frustration is that the educational system (in general) does not make it easy for the great teachers out there to be flexible and creative. I have long believed our country's schools are in desperate need of an over-haul. As individuals, teachers can only do so much. Teachers need a better system that helps them and encourages them to do their best for each student. I do realize a lot of the blame can be placed on the parents/home but regarding the teachers I think they all start with the best of intentions and then the system slowly chips away at that initial enthusiasm. You really need only look at the shameful salary teachers are paid to see they do not have the support they need/deserve.
I do know what you are talking about. I started out teaching but quickly decided that if I were gonna have to deal with the political situations (w/ both admin and parents) I would rather be in the corporate world making more $$$.

Our education system in this country desperately needs overhauling, wh/ Vindaloo alluded to, also. One's enthusiasm does get assaulted, day by day. However, the retirement plan is usually good, and sadly, for many teachers I personally know, that has been the main reason they stuck it out. That had little or no impact on their decision to teach . . . but when they started feeling burned out and frustrated, that was the main reason they decided to stay.

Teachers have one of the hardest jobs on earth. Anyone who has never taught cannot appreciate just how stressful it is, especially w/ the violence that so often is part of the environment. It only took my getting a black eye and a severe bruising to my chest - after a racial fight broke out b/n two big mean gals - for me to decide I had other options for my life's work. And I was not trying to break up the fight!! The violence started in the hall, and spilled over into my classroom between classes. I got socked several times when the girls ended up knocking over the chair I was sitting in. I did not get an advanced degree in English so I could be beaten up in my own classroom. After that, I never left my door open again.

Every teacher has a different situation, b/c no two classrooms are made up of identical kids. It is a tough job, made more difficult by federal interference. (yes, I said interference). Education needs to be at the neighborhood level but at the same time, that means dealing w/ whatever $$ is available for that community, wh/ is why federal dollars have been spread all over - and why federal standards get imposed. There is simply no easy answer to the educational dilemma we have in this country.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:19 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,469 times
Ani.. and thus the parent/home factor. How children learn to beat each other with such aggression, I just don't understand. This country is just one or two generation away from being a great big mess because of our educational failures. The world has caught up and soon they will be leaving us in the dust. Do we really want to be known as the entertainment capital of the world. No scientists or engineers just actors, singers and reality show stars. Yuck!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:41 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
As a former teacher, with a classroom in HS of 30 students, there was no time to design anything for the better students. By default, I had to teach to the majority and hope to touch both better and worse students in some way. Of course I only lasted 13 yrs (both private and public). More money, smaller classes, better teaching. A simple equation.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-13-2009 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
I feel like by reading this ya'll are playing the "jump to conclusions" game. First.. I am not a parent. I am a proud Uncle though. I was a student, hung around with students, read about some other students, etc. So with all the back ground, guess what I learned. No one solution fits everyone and there will be deviations to every standard. I.E. No all lazy kids are stupid, not all students who gets A's are smart, not all Smart kids get A's, and I could go on, but you get my point.

In general, I would say the smarter you are the better grades you get, but this can also be achieved by hard work. I don't even remember schook much before 2nd grade, i.e. I don't understand this concept of huge amounts of homework to kinder, 1st and 2nd.. Most kids are antsy, maybe different these days, but I was hyper, I was on no meds, and the teachers just dealt with it. There is a difference between goofing off in class and the begining of a social/learning problem. I knew kids who skipped grades, do they still allow that anymore? I mean if the student excels at 1st and 2nd, why not move them up a grade? Yes Charlotte could use a gifted school, hey who wants to pay for it?

I for one hate school. I am possibly above average in intelligence (though I spell worth crap!).. But ya know not everyone learns in school, but i was smart enough to know you complete what you can and are required to. Opportunities are out there, but you have to have the foundation.

To the OP, If she is excelling, move her up a grade, what is the root cause of the boredem? She knows it all already? She just doesn't care?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Ani.. and thus the parent/home factor. How children learn to beat each other with such aggression, I just don't understand. This country is just one or two generation away from being a great big mess because of our educational failures. The world has caught up and soon they will be leaving us in the dust. Do we really want to be known as the entertainment capital of the world. No scientists or engineers just actors, singers and reality show stars. Yuck!
I suppose that we are fortunate as we have a continuous flow of scientists and engineers coming to the U.S. from foreigh countries. I do know some brilliant scientist and engineers. I am pretty sure they went to private schools. Our government feels that numbers and feeling good about one's self is more importing than challenging students academically and applying tough love. Some principal in Charlotte recently announced that he will give parents at a pass to the Bobcats basketball game if they go to a PTA meeting. I feel that was for publicity as a "actual" long lasting positive result would be hard to fathom. The mentality (blind liberalism/naivety) of the people in this country drives me nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte