U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 04:21 PM

5 posts, read 5,786 times

Advertisements

Hello! My fiance and I are looking to relocate to North Carolina, we are tired of the cold and long winters here in PA. I am finishing up with school next year and we are looking to move after that, just doing a little research now. He is an electrician and I will be an RN. We are looking to buy a house with acreage in a great town with minimal crime. We dont want to spend more then 300,000 on our first house. We want to live somewhere semi rural where our neighbors will not be right on top of us but close enough to a city where we can go out. I dont want to drive 30 minutes to a grocery store. I love the beach, he loves the lakes and mountains. So maybe something in the middle? I dont need to live right at the beach but something within a 2 hour drive would be fine for weekend get aways. We dont have any children and dont plan on it for some time to come but a good school system would be a plus. Where do you think would be the best place for us to relocate? Also where are some of the best lakes for watersports?I am planning a trip down at the end of August to check out some areas in North Carolina and any information would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! ThankYou : - )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 04:32 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,110,264 times
Basically, at this point, it would be wherever you can find a job. Then, plan from there.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM

I am hoping after school it wont be hard for me to find a job, my fiance on the other hand is going to have a problem no matter where we move. There is a huge difference in salary from where we are now to down south. Here it is around 40/hour union and in North Carolina I believe its 23/hr union. We are just hoping to save as much as we can between now and then but right now we are just trying to narrow it down to area and then after that we decide on an area we plan to job hunt. We are optomistic things may be a little better in a year or two when we decide to move

Old 04-11-2009, 04:52 PM

873 posts, read 1,541,212 times
Murphy is nice

Old 04-11-2009, 04:54 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,110,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaGs47 View Post
I am hoping after school it wont be hard for me to find a job, my fiance on the other hand is going to have a problem no matter where we move. There is a huge difference in salary from where we are now to down south. Here it is around 40/hour union and in North Carolina I believe its 23/hr union. We are just hoping to save as much as we can between now and then but right now we are just trying to narrow it down to area and then after that we decide on an area we plan to job hunt. We are optomistic things may be a little better in a year or two when we decide to move
Just remember, there are no unions here and our unemployment rates are at 11% at the moment.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:03 PM

On the Ibew Website it does say there are a few electrical unions throughtout North Carolina but the pay seems to top out at 23/ hour, with the charlotte area topping out at 20.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Do you happen to know any top electrical contractors to work for in N Carolina????

Old 04-11-2009, 06:08 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Hi, Amanda!

As far as location, it will take you about 3.5 or more hours to get to the beach from here in CLT. But we do have lakes - both Lake Norman to the north and Lake Wylie to the south. The mountains are 2 + hours away, depending on where you live in the CLT metro area.

There are many places you could find a home here and it won't have to be $300,000. However, the problem will be w/ your H finding work. There are people in the construction trades out of work all over the region. You may be able to get more than $23/hr but that doesn't mean it would be steady work. I would suggest you consider a much less expensive home to get started here.

Altho it is widely stated that there are nursing shortages all over the nation, we have quite a few nursing schools here and new grads do not get the higher paying positions. You may find a job but it may not be the placement you prefer. Experience will help over time. We have two hospital systems here in Charlotte - Carolinas Medical Center and Presbyterian Novant. You can check on their websites and see what openings they have. Also, there are nursing homes and rehab centers, as well.

You may find that outlying areas would suit you better than right in Charlotte. Gastonia to the west, Cabarrus to the NE.

I would suggest you start looking at hospitals and see what looks interesting and then begin communicating w/ their nurse recruiters and see what they advise. You might prefer being more east of Charlotte. Raleigh is a nice area, too. Also Winston Salem, Greensboro or to the NW - Hickory.

Your hubby might consider checking out hospitals, too. They often have engineering departments w/ electricians on the payroll. You just never know til you dig. The pay won't be anywhere near $40/hr but the benefits are usually good.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:51 PM

129 posts, read 361,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaGs47 View Post
There is a huge difference in salary from where we are now to down south. Here it is around 40/hour union and in North Carolina I believe its 23/hr union.

I wonder why that is? It was the same way in Ohio. I have family members back home making 35/hour union but the same job in Charlotte pays half that and maybe even a little less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or