U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 AM

302 posts, read 1,507,010 times

Advertisements

I've been in Charlotte for about a year & had trouble finding a good hair stylist for my type of hair, hoping there's someone w/ similar hair who can offer a recommendation. I'm a female over 40 with VERY thick, wavy & coarse hair that has lots of weird wave patterns & cowlicks. Also, if I'm not diligent, it tends to start looking like big, puffy 80s hair, a look I'd like to avoid! I'm half Italian & half Hispanic (no habla espagnol & I'm Cuban & Puerto Rican, not Mexican) so maybe someone here with a similar background/similar hair has found success with a salon/stylist?

For years I've kept my hair fairly short & in layers-- I've tried growing it out long & it only grows OUT, cannot have it in one length without layers because it's so thick, it just sticks out WIDE! Want it closer to my head, not sticking UP & OUT like Kramer from Seinfeld!! (Does anyone else here have this type of crazy hair??!!) Need a hairstylist who's experienced with controlling volume NOT adding volume which is what most hairstylists seem obsessed with! Also, not interested in straightening my hair-- if it's cut right, the waves look good! PLUS I have to color my hair to cover all the grey & don't want to risk damage (more dryness, coarseness) with additional treatments. (OK w/ coloring my hair myself at home, it always feels better afterwards-- much softer, shinier-- so the priority is finding a stylist for hair cutting, not necessarily for color.)

In the past, with the right haircut, my hair will have great body & can look great without any fuss, which is how I prefer it-- don't want to play around with my hair or have to use lots of product, just like to shampoo, condition & go, which I can do with the right haircut! (Don't even like to blowdry my hair & don't need to if my hair is cut right!) Once in a while, I'll get a good haircut, then, after a few weeks when I need a trim again, won't get the same results-- would like some consistency! Hoping to find a good hairstylist with reasonable prices in the South Charlotte area, I live close to the Southpark Mall, but most places here are too pricey for me. Would like to find a salon along Park Rd or near Carolina Place Mall or even near Uptown or on South Blvd (don't have a car & limited to public transportation routes.)
Would appreciate recommendations, especially from women with similar type of hair-- Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 11:26 AM

21,967 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
I've been in Charlotte for about a year & had trouble finding a good hair stylist for my type of hair, hoping there's someone w/ similar hair who can offer a recommendation. I'm a female over 40 with VERY thick, wavy & coarse hair that has lots of weird wave patterns & cowlicks. Also, if I'm not diligent, it tends to start looking like big, puffy 80s hair, a look I'd like to avoid! I'm half Italian & half Hispanic (no habla espagnol & I'm Cuban & Puerto Rican, not Mexican) so maybe someone here with a similar background/similar hair has found success with a salon/stylist?

For years I've kept my hair fairly short & in layers-- I've tried growing it out long & it only grows OUT, cannot have it in one length without layers because it's so thick, it just sticks out WIDE! Want it closer to my head, not sticking UP & OUT like Kramer from Seinfeld!! (Does anyone else here have this type of crazy hair??!!) Need a hairstylist who's experienced with controlling volume NOT adding volume which is what most hairstylists seem obsessed with! Also, not interested in straightening my hair-- if it's cut right, the waves look good! PLUS I have to color my hair to cover all the grey & don't want to risk damage (more dryness, coarseness) with additional treatments. (OK w/ coloring my hair myself at home, it always feels better afterwards-- much softer, shinier-- so the priority is finding a stylist for hair cutting, not necessarily for color.)

In the past, with the right haircut, my hair will have great body & can look great without any fuss, which is how I prefer it-- don't want to play around with my hair or have to use lots of product, just like to shampoo, condition & go, which I can do with the right haircut! (Don't even like to blowdry my hair & don't need to if my hair is cut right!) Once in a while, I'll get a good haircut, then, after a few weeks when I need a trim again, won't get the same results-- would like some consistency! Hoping to find a good hairstylist with reasonable prices in the South Charlotte area, I live close to the Southpark Mall, but most places here are too pricey for me. Would like to find a salon along Park Rd or near Carolina Place Mall or even near Uptown or on South Blvd (don't have a car & limited to public transportation routes.)
Would appreciate recommendations, especially from women with similar type of hair-- Thanks!
I have dark blonde wavy hair that also poofs out when the humidity hits. (Think David Letterman)

I have found that eliminating layers works best. I leave it long enough to pull back with a barrette. I use a hand-held hairdryer & pull it straight with a vent brush. Simple & easy...

I have had a couple of hairdressers layer my hair inspite of instructions not to. Growing out the layers is awful.

I found a good hairdresser in Gastonia, so that won't work for you. Have you tried Ulta? They usually have a hairdresser at the Ultas that I have gone to, who specialize in curly hair.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 PM

Southbound, thanks for replying but your suggestion to grow my hair longer, eliminate the layers & straighten it with a hairdryer are the exact things I said I don't want to do! (Sounds like your hair is wavy but probably not as THICK & heavy as mine.) Probably should have stressed that I'd prefer to keep my hair shorter.

I'm probably a lot older than you-- I'm actually over 45 & the last time I had long hair was over 20 yrs ago. In the past, when I've let my hair grow for 4 or 5 months, it just grows UP & OUT, NOT down & longer. (Any other Italian/Hispanics out there?) According to a couple of hairdressers I consulted, it would take almost 2 years to grow out the layers & get it long at all! Don't have the patience for that PLUS my hair is so heavy & wavy that it would overwhelm me if it were below my shoulders again (did I mention that I'm only 5'2" with small, roundish facial features?) As far as keeping it short but without layers, can't see how that would work since I'd have "pyramid hair." My hair is NOT curly (supposedly, layers don't work well with curly hair?), it's thick, wavy & "bumpy" so it seems like I have to have layers. And again, I don't want to straighten it!

(Sometimes, at my highest level of hair frustration, just feel like cutting it all off & going for the bald/shaved look-- hey, probably would do it if I had a better shaped head for that look! But don't have the nerve to go thru with it, plus I'd have to wear a lot more makeup & jewelry than I do now in order to look feminine enough as a bald straight woman!)

Hope to get more replies but need to color & cut my hair within the next 3 - 4 days (by Wed, 4/15 or Thurs 4/16) for next weekend. Considering just getting it cut short & "choppy" -- want it close to my head & it's always real easy to "fluff up" the waves for more volume (but not too much volume! trying to avoid the puffy "mushroom head" look!)
Still would appreciate more recommendations about hair stylists/salons in the area for my type of hair, hopefully from women with similar hair who keep it shorter. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,671,024 times
I can reccommend a good stylist, Britney Dion at Modern in the Hearst Tower but she is not cheap. She is Cuban and does a great job. She is worth it in my opinion.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:40 PM

795 posts, read 3,925,884 times
newbie09 -- i have someone you may want to try...keep in mind, though, you and i have VERY different hair types. my hair is long and straight. the thing that keeps coming to my mind after reading your post, though, is this:

my hair is super thick and heavy, and it drives me nuts during the summer...it's always up b/c i feel like i'm going to have a heat stroke. one of my favorites stylists in chlt is an expert at cutting it and thinning it out so it doesn't feel like i'm carrying around an extra five pounds on my head. so when you say you're interested in finding someone who can control volume versus increase volume, well, it doesn't get better than this lady!

the other thing that sounded eerily familiar is your desire to wash-and-go. i never, ever blow-dry my hair when this person cuts it. it's just a matter of washing, towel-drying, twisting it up into a rope above my head on the pillow, and letting it air-dry overnight.

she also has curly hair herself, and she cuts straight, curly, and wavy hair, so she's familiar with hair types across the board.

plus, she also does my color, and it is superb. i often have people who stop me on the street and ask me where i have my hair done.

she does work at one of the salons in southpark, though...and her prices reflect the salon's prices.

let me know if you're interested, and i'll dm you with her contact info.

good luck if you decide to use someone else! i know what a pain it is when you're looking for just the right person!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:51 PM

21,967 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Southbound, thanks for replying but your suggestion to grow my hair longer, eliminate the layers & straighten it with a hairdryer are the exact things I said I don't want to do! (Sounds like your hair is wavy but probably not as THICK & heavy as mine.) Probably should have stressed that I'd prefer to keep my hair shorter.

I'm probably a lot older than you-- I'm actually over 45 & the last time I had long hair was over 20 yrs ago. In the past, when I've let my hair grow for 4 or 5 months, it just grows UP & OUT, NOT down & longer. (Any other Italian/Hispanics out there?) According to a couple of hairdressers I consulted, it would take almost 2 years to grow out the layers & get it long at all! Don't have the patience for that PLUS my hair is so heavy & wavy that it would overwhelm me if it were below my shoulders again (did I mention that I'm only 5'2" with small, roundish facial features?) As far as keeping it short but without layers, can't see how that would work since I'd have "pyramid hair." My hair is NOT curly (supposedly, layers don't work well with curly hair?), it's thick, wavy & "bumpy" so it seems like I have to have layers. And again, I don't want to straighten it!

(Sometimes, at my highest level of hair frustration, just feel like cutting it all off & going for the bald/shaved look-- hey, probably would do it if I had a better shaped head for that look! But don't have the nerve to go thru with it, plus I'd have to wear a lot more makeup & jewelry than I do now in order to look feminine enough as a bald straight woman!)

Hope to get more replies but need to color & cut my hair within the next 3 - 4 days (by Wed, 4/15 or Thurs 4/16) for next weekend. Considering just getting it cut short & "choppy" -- want it close to my head & it's always real easy to "fluff up" the waves for more volume (but not too much volume! trying to avoid the puffy "mushroom head" look!)
Still would appreciate more recommendations about hair stylists/salons in the area for my type of hair, hopefully from women with similar hair who keep it shorter. Thanks.
Sorry you didn't find my suggestions helpful.

I'm 57 & my hair is very thick, wavy, but fine textured.

When my hair is layered it goes up & out. Most of my hair dressers have had curly or wavy hair & they told me that eliminating the layers woukd eliminate the electrified look & it did.

If a hairdresser can cut curly hair, they can cut wavy hair.

My advice was to try Ulta. I have had good luck with them in the past. I don't care how you wear your hair. I simply told you my solution to a similar problem.

Last edited by southbound_295; 04-12-2009 at 08:09 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 10:08 AM

Hey Southbound,
Sorry if I sounded "snippy" about your suggestions. But I have a male platonic friend who has perfect, smooth blondish hair (& usually dates women with long straight hair) who always says to me: "Why don't you just grow your hair longer & straighten it?" URRRRRGH!! He doesn't understand the problems of thick, coarse, wavy hair at all & thinks the solution is soooo simple!

I get sick of hearing this from him & guess I took it out on you (which was unfair.) Please accept my apologies.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM

Still hoping for more replies. Thanks

Old 04-14-2009, 02:28 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,229,486 times
I wish I could help! I have a stylist whom I LOVE, but I have no idea how she would do with your type of hair. My texture, thickness, etc., are totally different from yours; I'd hate to recommend her to you and have it end up a disaster. It's so nerve-racking to find a new hairstylist, much more than it would seem! Good luck to you!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM

Just saw this on the Hair Care forum: "With a good haircut, you shouldn't have to spend a lot of time or use a lot of products with it."

This perfectly describes how I feel about my hair & when I've had good haircuts in the past, never had to fuss around to have a good look, just shampooed & conditioned every few days, then air-dryed with no other hair products used. Looking for a hairstylist who agrees with this philosophy-- seems like most of them push for just the opposite: lots of blowdrying w/ lots of product!
Still waiting & hoping for more hairstylist/salon recommendations for my type of hair.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or