U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:03 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,049,667 times

Advertisements

I am!

We moved to NC from Alexandria, VA.

I think you've gotten some good advice to include South Charlotte in your search. DH and I rented in that area prior to purchasing our home.

Are you a beagle-lover? I ask b/c of your username. My beagle is from Cecil County, MD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopylover View Post
Thanks so much for all the responses. As always, you've been a tremendous help. My husband and I currently reside in the Columbia, MD area (if you're familiar with it). We're about 20 miles from DC and Baltimore. I will do some research in the South Charlotte area. Much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:03 AM

45,246 posts, read 92,406,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopylover View Post
Thanks so much for all the responses. As always, you've been a tremendous help. My husband and I currently reside in the Columbia, MD area (if you're familiar with it). We're about 20 miles from DC and Baltimore. I will do some research in the South Charlotte area. Much appreciated!
Columbia, Maryland - almost had to move there once - felt like I dodged a bullet not to have to though. The place reminded me of Stepford, as in the Stepford Wives

Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 AM

279 posts, read 1,007,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Columbia, Maryland - almost had to move there once - felt like I dodged a bullet not to have to though.
Columbia is beautiful, my sister lives there and has been there for nearly 20 years. It's a great commuter location and quite desirable.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 AM

45,246 posts, read 92,406,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina-in-Ashland View Post
Columbia is beautiful, my sister lives there and has been there for nearly 20 years. It's a great commuter location and quite desirable.
I understand it is considered "desirable" up there in Maryland - but honestly, it gave me the heebie jeebies, just seemed so fake - like something you'd see at Disney World?? And the fact there were no churches was weird to me - there were all these "community" buildings which different denominations shared for their services, but no real churches - just strange to me.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM

830 posts, read 1,375,676 times
Columbia was one of the first large scale master-planned residential communities...I think by Rouse company, which also did the Harbor Place area in Baltimore, etc. If I remember right, there were/are pretty much rules for everything, governing both homeowners, commercial and public spaces.

Agree that it's nice in a Disney kind of way. People tend to either love it or hate it...

Old 04-15-2009, 11:48 AM

743 posts, read 2,081,146 times
I find a lot of similarities with Ballantyne and Columbia, you may want to look in that area although you won't get much land. I am familiar with that area as hubby use to work in Ellicott City. In comparisons, you may want to stay in S Charlotte or Huntersville on the north side. I don't think you will like Harrisburg if you like Columbia they are two different areas.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,852,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina-in-Ashland View Post
Columbia used to be a very nice area...parts of it have started going downhill over the past several years though. I worked in Columbia from about 2002-2007, and also lived there for part of that time as well prior to buying my house in Severn.

I think I prefer it here in Charlotte.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,271,979 times
I live in Weddington and used to drive into uptown. I took side roads to avoid Providence and the freeways. About 45 mins to an hour. Depends on how many city and school busses you get behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte