U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:28 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Great pics - love looking at our nice city

Miss the cows and farms myself that made us rural, but hey, that's progress I suppose!
+1

I remember when 51 from Mint Hill to Pineville was a winding two land road; a trip to Waxhaw required a packed lunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:59 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1

I remember when 51 from Mint Hill to Pineville was a winding two land road; a trip to Waxhaw required a packed lunch!
ME TOO!! I was pregnant when 51 was a winding pot-hole filled road down by Pineville especially -took a ride down it on my due date hoping to help labor along, LOL!!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,028,531 times
Honestly, this whole discussion about whether or not Charlotte is rural has nothing to do with whether or not Charlotte is urban. if you don't feel Charlotte is urban, that's one thing. But calling it rural is complete ignorance. That is clearly just trying to start a fight. You would think people would have grown up by now. pathetic.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM

171 posts, read 311,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
But calling it rural is complete ignorance. That is clearly just trying to start a fight.
You say that it is complete ignorance to call Charlotte rural, and in the next sentence, state that the person calling it rural, in this case, Diggums, is "clearly just trying to start a fight", which implies that Diggums knows its really not rural, and instead is manipulating the conversation in a troll-like fashion just to create problems.

Can't have it both ways, Chief.

Diggums will concede that is isn't *quite* rural, in the strictest sense of the word. But it definitely is not urban.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 PM

65 posts, read 140,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I totally agree. I figure we Charlotteans could discuss this as an in house issue, especially those from more urban cities like NYC, D.C., San Francisco, Boston, etc.
Being from DC I'll say no, it's not "urban" -- or as urban as many other cities. There's a lot of sprawl, way more neighborhoods than districts, a lot of suburbs that eventually lead into the "urban" area, which doesn't take long to go through itself. Some of the closest sprawl seems to extend the "urban barriers" but that's about it. There's only a small part of the city that I'd truly say was, but luckily enough there's plenty everywhere else to make up for it, if that's your goal anyways.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 PM

65 posts, read 140,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
NASCAR couldn't exist in an urban environment.

Its rural.
Ever been to Richmond, VA?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:35 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,286,257 times
Quote:
Diggums appreciates your providing pictures of buildings with a few people and cars scattered about to bolster our agreed upon position that Charlotte is rural.
Thank you for proving my point that you have no clue what "rural" actually means, as you obviously missed the critical mass of buildings that are so uncharacteristic of rural areas. And if people not being on the street at certain times is your definition of "rural," then certain areas of NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, etc. can be called rural as well.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,286,257 times
Quote:
Diggums will concede that is isn't *quite* rural, in the strictest sense of the word. But it definitely is not urban.
Then the word you would be looking for is "suburban." Duh.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Thank you for proving my point that you have no clue what "rural" actually means, as you obviously missed the critical mass of buildings that are so uncharacteristic of rural areas. And if people not being on the street at certain times is your definition of "rural," then certain areas of NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, etc. can be called rural as well.
LOL @ "critical mass of buildings".

Nice try. Better luck next time.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 PM

You really are taking it personally that I called Charlotte rural and question your position that is is urban. Seriously, relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte