U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:19 AM

655 posts, read 2,099,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
I know of no New Yorkers who follow NASCAR. NASCAR has events through Times Square every year to "spread the word," and yet these events are ignored.
Indeed. They also had a couple events a few years ago at Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. I remember the race cars we all lined up around the block. They had tables set up with all sorts or random crap for people. You could tell who lived/worked in the city, and who was just visiting. New Yorkers just walked on by, in typical New Yorker fashion, seemingly oblivious to what was going on. The visitors, however, were more than happy to converse with them.

There is little enthusiasm for NASCAR in NYC. Dare I say a bit of apprehension? Maybe they're afraid someone'll take a punch out of their urbanite card if they flip between a Yankees/Mets game and a NASCAR race? ::Shrug:: Let them do what they please, I suppose.

Quite frankly, I've seen urban, suburban, and rural elements in Charlotte. True. I can't take the orange line from Midtown to the Lower East Side and surface with skyscrapers as far as the eye can see. However, I always wonder how many skyscapers and subways does a person really need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
Quote:
New Yorkers vehemently opposed the NASCAR track and defeated it. A developer wanted it to make money.

I know of no New Yorkers who follow NASCAR. NASCAR has events through Times Square every year to "spread the word," and yet these events are ignored.
And we, here in NC, should care whether NY'ers like NASCAR? Why would we give a rat's patootie? Your point is?

This is so typical. People come into this region and start w/ the name calling. B/c someone prefers an event that you don't like, they are hicks? Those hicks are the people who would fight for the rights of the rest of this country, including uptight, self-absorbed NY metrosexuals who are SKEERT of guns and think they are oh-so-sophisticated b/c they have tickets to an Italian opera when they actually have no damn clue how to begin to translate the lyrics.

I love opera but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy NASCAR as well. And I don't care if NY or London hate NASCAR, or even the South, for that matter.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Indeed. They also had a couple events a few years ago at Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. I remember the race cars we all lined up around the block. They had tables set up with all sorts or random crap for people. You could tell who lived/worked in the city, and who was just visiting. New Yorkers just walked on by, in typical New Yorker fashion, seemingly oblivious to what was going on. The visitors, however, were more than happy to converse with them.

There is little enthusiasm for NASCAR in NYC. Dare I say a bit of apprehension? Maybe they're afraid someone'll take a punch out of their urbanite card if they flip between a Yankees/Mets game and a NASCAR race? ::Shrug:: Let them do what they please, I suppose.

Quite frankly, I've seen urban, suburban, and rural elements in Charlotte. True. I can't take the orange line from Midtown to the Lower East Side and surface with skyscrapers as far as the eye can see. However, I always wonder how many skyscapers and subways does a person really need?
Plenty, if you are shuffling several borroughs plus workers from other surrounding states in and out of a city to the tune of over six million people a day.

Charlotte is urban enuff at this point. What concerns me is I keep getting the feeling that to many, urban means some sort of nitty gritty lifestyle rather than a designation for area where commerce/business is conducted.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 7 days ago)

5,599 posts, read 6,693,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And we, here in NC, should care whether NY'ers like NASCAR? Why would we give a rat's patootie? Your point is?

This is so typical. People come into this region and start w/ the name calling. B/c someone prefers an event that you don't like, they are hicks? Those hicks are the people who would fight for the rights of the rest of this country, including uptight, self-absorbed NY metrosexuals who are SKEERT of guns and think they are oh-so-sophisticated b/c they have tickets to an Italian opera when they actually have no damn clue how to begin to translate the lyrics.

I love opera but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy NASCAR as well. And I don't care if NY or London hate NASCAR, or even the South, for that matter.
ani - I'd like to meet the "marketing genius" who thought NASCAR would appeal to Manhattanites. Probably three quarters of them don't drive! A parking space in Manhattan can rent for as much as the mortgage on a small house 20 miles outside Charlotte! NASCAR would have about as much appeal to the average Manhattanite as binoculars have to blind people. The guy who thought it would be a grand idea to bring NASCAR vehicles to Manhattan, probably had a brother at Golden West who thought up the "Pick-A-Pay" mortgage and highly recommended it to his cousin, at Wachovia!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - I'd like to meet the "marketing genius" who thought NASCAR would appeal to Manhattanites. Probably three quarters of them don't drive! A parking space in Manhattan can rent for as much as the mortgage on a small house 20 miles outside Charlotte! NASCAR would have about as much appeal to the average Manhattanite as binoculars have to blind people. The guy who thought it would be a grand idea to bring NASCAR vehicles to Manhattan, probably had a brother at Golden West who thought up the "Pick-A-Pay" mortgage and highly recommended it to his cousin, at Wachovia!
Even a total idiot would know the demographics are not right. Totally inane idea.

There is something that evidently the rest of the country has not figured about the South and our "hicks." We like 'em. They have been here forever. It is my sworn duty as a Southerner to protect their rights to live as they please. That is what the rest of the country does not understand about the South - we are a "live and let live" group here. You want your mobile home, I say - go for it. I want my all brick Georgian - the country folk are fine with that. Why others have to come here and disparage - I don't get it.

NASCAR is not a sport for one type of demographic, but as you said . . . it is a sport for people who love cars, car engines, speed and drama on a race track. When most of the population is not into a car as more than a vehicle to get from point A to point B . . . and when parking can cost as much as a rent for a nice apartment every month . . . why the heck would anyone think New Yorkers would go for NASCAR? It has nothing to do w/ the sport being for "hicks."

Paul Newman, who lived in CT part of the year and for a time, owned a place near Boone, loved racing. I ran into him on several occasions when I was racing "back in the day." And I don't mean as a spectator - he had his car on the track, just like I did.

Having the NASCAR museum in Charlotte does not make it less "urban" for heaven's sake.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:58 AM

338 posts, read 791,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I didn't say that people who like NASCAR are hicks. I simply said that there are hicks in Chicago, which is true. Someone then said that NY wanted NASCAR, and I replied to that.

PS: Each seat in the Metropolitan Opera has a screen on it that translates the opera into English.

PPS: I have made no disparaging remarks about Charlotte. I quite like Charlotte. I simply said that it' not urban. It's not. It's suburban.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that people who like NASCAR are hicks. I simply said that there are hicks in Chicago, which is true. Someone then said that NY wanted NASCAR, and I replied to that.

PS: Each seat in the Metropolitan Opera has a screen on it that translates the opera into English.

PPS: I have made no disparaging remarks about Charlotte. I quite like Charlotte. I simply said that it' not urban. It's not. It's suburban.
LL - I was not replying just to your post - there were other remarks being made by other posters, so I just addressed it all at one time.

I am glad you like it here in Charlotte.

I know there are screens for interp at the Met. I have been there. My point is that sometimes people affect a sophistication they lack. And then they disparage what someone else chooses as a leisure activity as if to prove they are more sophisticated than the other guy.

I feel Charlotte is best described as mostly suburban w/ an evolving urban center.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,726,281 times
Quote:
You aren't making sense. A city has three elements. First is the core of a city despite the size. There may be lots of pepoe in the core which would make it a "large" urban area or a city that has just a few living in the core. That would be considered a "small" urban area. Secondly, there are the suburbs. These are residential areas that generally have a workforce that commutes from the core or depends on the services of the core of the city. Lastly, there are rural areas. These are the areas that are beyond the city limits in most cases.

So, saying that Charlotte is not urban isn't clear in meaning. There are 15,000 people that live in the core of the city. That is the "urban" area so to speak. While the majority of the people of Charlotte live outside of the inner-belt, there is still a noticable urban element. Maybe not like Baltimore, but there nevertheless.

P.S. This is a truly stupid topic.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
P.S. This is a truly stupid topic.
Agree. I swore I would not post again on this thread several pages back, LOL!!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,719,209 times
Quote:

Wrong. Charlotte is Urban for this area of the country. You live in the burbs...right. Of course that is not Urban.

I live Uptown in 4th Ward and can walk to many restaurants, night clubs, pharmacies, grocery stores, some shopping (getting a little better), the Blumenthal Perfoming Arts Center, an Indoor Acquatic Center, an Indoor water park, some Museums & more...this is not NY...but YES...Charlotte is Urban for NC.

We don't want to be compared to London or NY...have lived in Manhattan on the Upper East Side with FREE rent and saw NOTHING special about NY. It is not for everyone...just like Charlotte is not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte