U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2007, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 13,810 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are young retirees who moved to Union County a year ago. We live in a nice community with a house situated on half an acre, which we thought would be sufficient enough for privacy. The problem is we are sandwiched between a homeowner to the left who has a yip-yelping dog that wakes us every morning at 6:30 and a homeowner to the right who has a loud howler that wakes us just as we're falling asleep at night. We couldn't have picked a more inconvenient lot for our purpose (which was to have a quiet, peaceful place to spend lazy, eagerly anticipated empty-nest days). Aside from the annoying barks of neighboring dogs, the subdivision is pretty quiet. We've heard of homeowners in other communities who share are problem. Are pet owners here deaf to the disturbing yaps of their furry friends or are they just inconsiderate of others? Although we've always had neighbors with dogs, we've never had a problem with barking dogs. Moving from a NE inner city, this has caught us off-guard. Perhaps an urban environment necessitates walking your dog and better training. Note to all newcomers: beware of dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 11:54 AM

478 posts, read 1,880,611 times
This is one of my greatest worries. Well, and those motorised scooters which sound like a giant mosquito looping the street again and again...

I've heard the woes of more than a dozen homeowners who openly fantasise of throwing poisoned meat chop over the fence to the menace of a canine.

But since dogs seem to be an extension of the owner's identity, other than anonymous mail to the owner pleading for relief, I don't know if there is much you can do. Maybe the police will entertain a disturbance to the peace ordinance violation? Are you in a planned community with HOA and rules about these problems?

Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 PM

362 posts, read 1,244,572 times
I know that here in Phoenix (Goodyear suburb), there's actually a specific number to call if you have issues with barking dogs in your neighborhood. I remember seeing it on one of the Goodyear pamphlets that we received when we purchased our homes, in a list of "frequently called numbers." It was right there with the number to call for water problems, gas problems, trash problems, etc. Maybe you have something similar?

Old 03-31-2007, 01:09 PM

478 posts, read 1,880,611 times
Dunno how helpful this is, but fwiw, love:

Barking Dogs

Few things in life are as annoying as having to listen to the constant bark, howl, whine or cry of another person's dog. The noise from barking can disrupt sleep, lower the quality of your leisure hours, disturb your work, and make being at home not enjoyable. The first reaction of many people faced with a barking dog problem is to call the authorities. Believe it or not, this is not always the best route to resolve the problem. This problem has been looked at nationally and the conclusions reached have been uniformly the same: Barking is a neighborhood problem. Here are a few facts about the owners of barking dogs that may help you deal with what is really a neighborhood problem:

1. The owner of a barking dog often doesn't know the dog is barking. Owners may leave for work with a quiet dog in the back yard and return home to a quiet dog. The dog may only be barking because its owner is gone.

2. The dog barking may be a comfort to the owner. Barking may tell the owner
the dog is well and the property is protected. The owner may assume it gives the neighbor the same feeling.

3. The owner may be desensitized to the barking. People that are around barking
dogs all of the time learn to tune out the noise.

4. The owner may assume that if it is daylight, everyone must be awake and it is
okay to make noise. Owners may not think about people who sleep in the daytime, or that peace and quiet may be desired during normal working hours.

5. The owners may assume that because they haven't had anyone complain
about the noise the dog is making, that the barking doesn't bother anyone.

Owners of barking dogs falling into the above categories are best dealt with as neighbors. Letting an owner know, on a personal level, that the dog's noise is disrupting your life can be very effective. People that do not first attempt to solve the problem as neighbors often begin long-term neighborhood feuds. Tell the person, very politely, in person, in writing or by phone exactly what the nature of the annoyance is. Communicate things such as "I can't sleep"; "I can't hear my television"; "I work nights and sleep days" or "I can't study because of the noise your dog is making". Neighborhood communication is a very important part of neighborhood security. Even the act of telling someone his or her dog is bothering you can further communication.

If these methods fail then you should call Animal Control at 963-1017. Do not try to silence the animal yourself or wait until you can no longer handle the barking. Tackle the problem early on. Animals are family and disciplining someone else's family member can result in violence.

http://www.union-county.org/website....age&AutoFramed

Old 03-31-2007, 04:20 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,065,246 times
2 suggestions. Try your Homeowners Association (If you have one). Surely there's something in the covenence(sp?) about noise violations. Maybe they can send a letter to the offending neighbors. We've also had people call animal control about it and they have come to our neighborhood to investigate.

Problem can be more easily solved by people just taking an interest in their pets. Walking them and showing them some attention goes a long way! They also have those collars that give the dogs a shock when they bark which works nicely. Lastly, I had a friend that had so many complaints that he actually had his dogs vocal chords removed. It was comical and sad in the same view to watch the dogs mouth open and a faint bark come out!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 03-31-2007, 05:15 PM

435 posts, read 1,676,709 times
Maybe your neighbors does not hear the dog barking. At my house we have a tunnel effect....we loudly hear our neighbor's son playing basketball in his driveway & before that, the previous owner's son who used to practice his drums in the garage. They didn't know how loud it was because of this tunnel effect...in fact they couldn't hear it at all.
But I would report it to a HOA if you have one. They could possibly mediate things.

Last edited by lovethebigcity; 03-31-2007 at 05:24 PM..

Old 03-31-2007, 05:19 PM

6 posts, read 22,550 times
Default As A Dog Owner...

I would much rather a neighbour approached me with any problems they have - whether it be with my dog barking or a tree encroaching on their yard.

I would hate to think that my dog was causing any problems and while I would be embarassed I would much rather be told of the problem as opposed have the local Animal Control stop in. My dog certainly doesn't bark excessively when I am around and I would hope that he behaves in my absence as well.

I value my neighbours and would like to think they would be comfortable talking to me about it. A good relationship with neighbours makes life so much more enjoyable.

If you don't normally speak to your neighbours (which I hope is not the case) make you could chat to them about what is happening in the neighbourhood and then casually mention the barking.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:31 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,292,887 times
I think your first stop should be to talk to the homeowners directly. I agree that some people may just be "immune" to it or not realize it bothers other people.

I have a dog who occasionally barks. If someone came to my door to complain I would absolutely do everything I could to make sure my dog didn't bother this person again.

Approach them. You might be surprised at how willing they are to help, and to boot you will get to meet your neighbors.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:42 PM

116 posts, read 384,232 times
These are excellent suggestions, muse, but don't know how to put them to use in my situation. I also have a problem with a barking dog. But in my case, I live in a very urban neighborhood in my city, with lots of neighbors around, so I can't tell who the dog belongs to. Not knowing who owns the dog, I wouldn't know who to contact about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Dunno how helpful this is, but fwiw, love:

Barking Dogs
http://www.union-county.org/website....age&AutoFramed

Old 03-31-2007, 06:32 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,115,339 times
I have yiptee dogs (darn it) we are well aware of it. We apologize to our neighbors on a regular basis. We have tried shock collars and the dogs still barked and the collors actually started to burn the dogs neck . We have tried muzzles etc etc.

The dogs were fine when we first had them at our old house then we moved and the neighbors had some shelties which barked and my dogs decided to jump right in with them.

We also have a crazy neighbor that will pull up to our back fence with her dog in the car and stop so the dogs can bark at each other. This does nothing but spin mine up. We are very aware of our dogs noise as it really can turn me into a green angry guy whne I hear them bark. Also we have a 16 month old and nap time is needed here.

We are really trying to find a good home for our dogs before we move. Its hard as we want them to go together so it will be easier on my 5 year old. They are our responsibility and I would my neighbors to come over and say "Hey man your dogs are insane" than to have a police officer show up with some complaints.

If my neighbors are on here by chance... Sorry for the dogs.... help me find a new home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte