U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 PM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 13,094,096 times
Reputation: 2340

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
....... "Loch Ness Monster in Lake Norman ?????"

 
Old 04-17-2009, 06:52 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,288,069 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2 View Post
I really hate reading these sort of posts. Race should be the last of your worries anywhere in America. Its almost 2010 already. Slavery ended over 40-50 years ago!
Very few people want to move to a place where they might feel uncomfortable for whatever reason, and yes, race does play a part in that sometimes. We all know what year it is, but basic human nature remains the same.
 
Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 AM
 
4,222 posts, read 6,709,506 times
Reputation: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2 View Post
I really hate reading these sort of posts. Race should be the last of your worries anywhere in America. Its almost 2010 already. Slavery ended over 40-50 years ago!

Amen! I don't know how one expects another to determine whether or not one will be comfortable in a neighborhood?. Several years ago, a black woman claimed to be a victim of racism in Huntersville. The "N" word was sprayed on her house and threatening letters and phone calls were sent to her. There was also house damage resulting. This was big time news. The community collected several thousand dollars and presented the money to the women as an apology for "ignorant" people in the vacinity. To make a long story short, everything was self generated by the woman. She sprayed the words herself and falsly accused others. This was an embarrassment to those that felt compassion and pity. She was charged with the crime and also for lieing to federal authorities. I don't know if they actually punished her or not. It is possible that the originator of this thread is aware of this situation and is seriously concerned about ill feelings resulting from this incident. I know that you meant that 'segregation' ended over 40-50 years ago.

Last edited by vindaloo; 04-17-2009 at 08:34 AM..
 
Old 04-17-2009, 10:27 AM
 
2,341 posts, read 4,045,152 times
Reputation: 1667
Her question was valid, although this may not have been the right forum.

If the op looked at census data from 2000, she would be right in wondering what her experience might be as a new resident. The data I looked at when choosing a location showed that the area was only 3% non white. Rather than dismiss her concern as being less than valid(for her), one might want to point out that the demographic in Huntersville has changed since those numbers were published.

People self segregate for a variety of reasons. That happened 50 years ago and it happens today.
 
Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,707,497 times
Reputation: 423
There are several professional black families in Huntersville. It is a great suburb...and the Lake Norman area offers almost everything you need without coming into Charlotte (unless you work in Charlotte). The 2yr old NorthLake Mall at I-77 & Harris Blvd is only 1-2 exits away as well...and that area is really building up.

Good Luck!
 
Old 04-17-2009, 12:31 PM
 
1,877 posts, read 4,303,476 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasureeyez1 View Post
I am thinking about relocating to North Carolina, specifically looking into the Huntersville area. The postings on this forum has been very informative and Huntersville has come up as one of the best places to live in Charlotte.
I am a teacher and will be transferring, my problem is I have been wondering if it would be a good move in Huntersville and will I feel comfortable??? Is it a multiple of races or should I look for a different location in Charlotte that is more interracial??? and Safe of course...
Please help, would like to move by next year, so I am starting my research now..
I'd suggest University City, from Eastfield to Mallard Creek Rd and from Mallard Creek/Prosperity Church north. My reasoning? A brand new middle school opens in fall 09, and a brand new elementary school in fall '10- smack in the middle. I believe part of the area Ive suggested is Davidson, and part Huntersville. The best of all worlds!
 
Old 04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,288,069 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Her question was valid, although this may not have been the right forum.

If the op looked at census data from 2000, she would be right in wondering what her experience might be as a new resident. The data I looked at when choosing a location showed that the area was only 3% non white. Rather than dismiss her concern as being less than valid(for her), one might want to point out that the demographic in Huntersville has changed since those numbers were published.

People self segregate for a variety of reasons. That happened 50 years ago and it happens today.
I'm glad someone said it. It really puzzles me when people think that just because this is an integrated society that this means that race is still not a relevant issue. Maybe a lot of White folks simply don't know what it means to be the only minority or one of a handful in an environment where you aren't the majority. It doesn't mean you're being discriminated against, but in some settings, it can just feel plain ol' uncomfortable.
 
Old 04-17-2009, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Huntersville,N.C.
286 posts, read 862,499 times
Reputation: 85
Default Come on down

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasureeyez1 View Post
I am thinking about relocating to North Carolina, specifically looking into the Huntersville area. The postings on this forum has been very informative and Huntersville has come up as one of the best places to live in Charlotte.
I am a teacher and will be transferring, my problem is I have been wondering if it would be a good move in Huntersville and will I feel comfortable??? Is it a multiple of races or should I look for a different location in Charlotte that is more interracial??? and Safe of course...
Please help, would like to move by next year, so I am starting my research now..
WELCOME TO HUNTERSVILLE
 
Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 2,666,075 times
Reputation: 481
The bottomline is that an individual is well within reasonable rights to consider race as a factor of where to live. It hurts noone for her to ask us for this info and it might be wise on her part to get a "feel" for the racial environment of a particular location. I congratulate her on doing her "homework". I guess it is a non-issue now b/c of the hiring freeze but I think defensiveness regarding these types of questions are kind of useless.
 
Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 PM
 
1,453 posts, read 4,687,338 times
Reputation: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2 View Post
I really hate reading these sort of posts. Race should be the last of your worries anywhere in America. Its almost 2010 already. Slavery ended over 40-50 years ago!

I agree. Why do you preface your question with the fact that you are black? What difference does it make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top