U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 AM

8,521 posts, read 10,379,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I suspect that you would have to be careful which lilacs you tried here. In my old location many would fry in the summer. Also in my old location when the Bermuda highs would come in the lilacs were prone to disease, because of extreme humidity (especially mildew).

I don't know if the Bermuda Highs come to this area.
Yes, only the heat index is as bad or worse here.

All a "bermuda High" is is a high pressure system that sits off the east coast in the summer, and pumps SW winds and moisture up the east coast (from the Gulf of Mexico)

Summers here are roughly the same as SJersey, except they are longer here, and you hardly ever get the benefit of a back door cool front (which you get in Jersey) because we are so far south.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 AM

13,153 posts, read 13,187,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Yes, only the heat index is as bad or worse here.

All a "bermuda High" is is a high pressure system that sits off the east coast in the summer, and pumps SW winds and moisture up the east coast (from the Gulf of Mexico)

Summers here are roughly the same as SJersey, except they are longer here, and you hardly ever get the benefit of a back door cool front (which you get in Jersey) because we are so far south.....
Jack, the Bermuda highs that I am referring to come from the Atlantic (originating in the Azores). When they come in, the normally high humidity ramps up. The humidity gets so bad it nearly gags you.

I know that the heat hangs in here a bit longer. I tracked the Charlotte weather for a couple of years before moving. I was in the western part of South Jersey where we rarely got the back door cool front & just a bit too far from the shore to get that breeze.

I've seen lilacs & tea roses mildew in 2 or 3 days when a Bermuda high comes in.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:15 PM

35,568 posts, read 43,752,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darling876 View Post
Hi peeps! been out for a couple of days, but it's great to see all the talk on here.
My container garden is doing really well, even though my Pink Guara was not too fond of the sun for extended time, the tag says full sun 6+hrs a day. I think it is probably because it is in the pot.
I also have some wildflowers i sowed a while back which they are doing well. They will be my punch of color added to the townhouse when we leave

Ani, Do you remember where you orginally got your peppermint from? All i can seem to find is spearmint..i have settled for that, however i would really like some peppermint..

Also does anyone know how Lilacs will do here?
Peppermint . . . I am not sure where I got it. ??? I may have picked it up at a big box store, such as Lowes.

As for lilacs, yes, there are varieties that will work beautifully here. I will see if I can figure out which one(s) work here. My grandmothers had them and I did years ago. I had a different variety while in Kansas, so there are some that withstand heat well. If I can find that, I will post it. I have been thinking I want to get a lilac, too!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:21 PM

35,568 posts, read 43,752,701 times
Okay - a quick check has brought up Blue Skies and Lavender Lady. I am thinking the ones I have grown here may have been Lavender Lady.

Check these out:

Lilac Blue Skies<REG> PP#6,877

Lilac Lavender Lady

Old 04-26-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
. The humidity gets so bad it nearly gags you.

I understand about the bermuda highs. I lived in NJ for 35 years and know the heat index can get to 110 on some days.

Again, when you get those HHH (hazy, hot, humid) days up north, its just as bad here.

If you think its bad here or in NJ, ask some people who've lived in Florida and many will tell you that the heat/humidity here and up north are for pansies.....

Old 04-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I understand about the bermuda highs. I lived in NJ for 35 years and know the heat index can get to 110 on some days.

Again, when you get those HHH (hazy, hot, humid) days up north, its just as bad here.

If you think its bad here or in NJ, ask some people who've lived in Florida and many will tell you that the heat/humidity here and up north are for pansies.....
I wasn't sure because this is further south but further inland. I was in South Jersey over 40 years & frequently saw the back door cool fronts roll in from roughly Trenton north, while we continued to cook. I've had to work in 105 degrees with high humidity for 3 weeks straight, so I know stiflling. I was wondering about the Bermuda Highs from the stand point of plants, because they are negatively impacted.

Last edited by southbound_295; 04-26-2009 at 10:06 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 10:01 PM

359 posts, read 724,892 times
Ani , you are amazing..thanks for looking that up.. Lavender Lady looks gorgeous and that might just be what i will end up with.... i will keep looking for the peppermint when i am out and about..if anyone sees any anywhere for sale either seed or plant, please let me know..thanks..

Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I wasn't sure because this is further south but further inland. I was in South Jersey over 40 years & frequently saw the back door cool fronts roll in from roughly Trenton north, while we continued to cook. I've had to work in 105 degrees with high humidity for 3 weeks straight, so I know stiflling. I was wondering about the Bermuda Highs from the stand point of plants, because they are negatively impacted.
Its actually worse in inland South Carolina and Georgia....heat indices sometimes get to 120 & over......that is truly unbearable......

From a standpoint of plants, I would think they would all be affected by high humidity, however that's something I never thought to ask b4 purchasing.....good topic...

Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Its actually worse in inland South Carolina and Georgia....heat indices sometimes get to 120 & over......that is truly unbearable......

From a standpoint of plants, I would think they would all be affected by high humidity, however that's something I never thought to ask b4 purchasing.....good topic...
Thanks, Jack.

More than once I heard meteorologists compare Philly & the metro area to Savannah for humidity. It can be ghastly. Since I did all of my own yardwork & landscaping, I was well aware of the effects in the yard. That's why I only planted heirloom & shrub roses that were relatively disease resistant.

Thare were 2 tea roses there when I bought the place & if the Bermuda highs came in for more than 2 days I would cut them back because they would sprout mildew like there was no tomorrow.

There was also a huge lilac that also got the mildew & a smaller one that just looked pathetic when the humidity ramped up.

I don't know if you've been to Philly or rhe area of South Jersey that is zone 7, in the summer, but a lot of people use the shrub roses & crepe myrtle is really more popular than lilac in that area of South Jersey. Other plants also showed signs of strees, & grass did as well.

That's why I was asking about this area.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 AM

197 posts, read 325,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darling876 View Post
Ani , you are amazing..thanks for looking that up.. Lavender Lady looks gorgeous and that might just be what i will end up with.... i will keep looking for the peppermint when i am out and about..if anyone sees any anywhere for sale either seed or plant, please let me know..thanks..

Whatcom Seed Company - Catalog of Rare, Exotic, Unusual Garden Seeds

There may be a viable resource for the seeds. You will need to scroll about halfway down the page and you will see it.

We used to have this mint growing wild on our property when I was small. I found out later that the location it was growing in was where they had a small kitchen garden/herb garden back in the 1800's when my great great grandmother originally set up housekeeping on the property so it seems to be a fairly hardy plant. My mother loved it in her hot tea. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte