U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2009, 08:34 AM

12,761 posts, read 12,302,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
Whatcom Seed Company - Catalog of Rare, Exotic, Unusual Garden Seeds

There may be a viable resource for the seeds. You will need to scroll about halfway down the page and you will see it.

We used to have this mint growing wild on our property when I was small. I found out later that the location it was growing in was where they had a small kitchen garden/herb garden back in the 1800's when my great great grandmother originally set up housekeeping on the property so it seems to be a fairly hardy plant. My mother loved it in her hot tea. Good luck.
That's a great link!!! Thanks for posting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:30 PM

Just thought of some advice that I got concerning planting roses a few years back.

A friend of a friend was the head rosarian at Morris Arboretum, in Philly. She told me that when you plant roses, if they are not own-root roses, ignore the instruction to plant the graft above ground. Always plant the graft underground, even if you have to cut some lower branches to do it.

If you plant the graft underground, the rose that you bought will develop roots. If the graft is above ground, the root that your rose is grafted to could take over.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 AM

359 posts, read 701,246 times
Southbound, thanks for that tip..
Here is a pic of my container garden with everything in bloom..

Old 05-04-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darling876 View Post
Southbound, thanks for that tip..
Here is a pic of my container garden with everything in bloom..
You're welcome.

It's beautiful, darling!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 AM

35,217 posts, read 41,809,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Just thought of some advice that I got concerning planting roses a few years back.

A friend of a friend was the head rosarian at Morris Arboretum, in Philly. She told me that when you plant roses, if they are not own-root roses, ignore the instruction to plant the graft above ground. Always plant the graft underground, even if you have to cut some lower branches to do it.

If you plant the graft underground, the rose that you bought will develop roots. If the graft is above ground, the root that your rose is grafted to could take over.
OMGOSH!!! You just explained why several of my roses have reverted back to their pre-graft variety!!!! I HAD NO IDEA!!!!!!

Thanks for this invaluable piece of advice!! You rock, SB!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
OMGOSH!!! You just explained why several of my roses have reverted back to their pre-graft variety!!!! I HAD NO IDEA!!!!!!

Thanks for this invaluable piece of advice!! You rock, SB!!!
Thanks, Ani!

I had it happen with a moss rose. Talk about a weird looking rosebush!... After getting the advice, never happened again.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 PM

8,328 posts, read 9,911,236 times
Guys, not sure if I should start another thread or not, but I have a question on landscape plants...

The DW and I have been talking about lining the side of our property (both sides) w/shrubs. We are choosing to go w/medium height shrubs because we both like that option better than a privacy fence.

Been to all the big box stores but haven't been to really any nursuries yet. I have found that alternating nelly stevens hollies w/crepe myrtles would be nice on both sides. (nelly stevens are the nicest variety I've found so far). I'd space them about 5' apart (even though the tag says double that). We are looking at 7 gallon containers (around 3-4 feet high) and in about 2 years they should grow another couple of feet. Cost for shrubs and a couple yards of good topsoil would be around $1000 give or take (I'd try to negotiate w/the store obv)..... I would also suck it up and save money by planting myself....backbreaking considering I'll have a total of 30 or so to plant (and tilling in the topsoil...) oh well...

My question is there anywhere that has a better deal than HD in Matthews off of 51? I've been to Lowe's and several HD's, however the Matthews location seems to have the highest volume of shrubs out there (except for nursuries). However, I have a feeling nursuries will be approx twice the price of HD.....

Any thoughts on other places to try, or even my selection of shrubbery? thanks

Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM

6,766 posts, read 7,494,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Guys, not sure if I should start another thread or not, but I have a question on landscape plants...

The DW and I have been talking about lining the side of our property (both sides) w/shrubs. We are choosing to go w/medium height shrubs because we both like that option better than a privacy fence.

Been to all the big box stores but haven't been to really any nursuries yet. I have found that alternating nelly stevens hollies w/crepe myrtles would be nice on both sides. (nelly stevens are the nicest variety I've found so far). I'd space them about 5' apart (even though the tag says double that). We are looking at 7 gallon containers (around 3-4 feet high) and in about 2 years they should grow another couple of feet. Cost for shrubs and a couple yards of good topsoil would be around $1000 give or take (I'd try to negotiate w/the store obv)..... I would also suck it up and save money by planting myself....backbreaking considering I'll have a total of 30 or so to plant (and tilling in the topsoil...) oh well...

My question is there anywhere that has a better deal than HD in Matthews off of 51? I've been to Lowe's and several HD's, however the Matthews location seems to have the highest volume of shrubs out there (except for nursuries). However, I have a feeling nursuries will be approx twice the price of HD.....

Can't help too much on prices, but as far as shrub selection if you are going to place them closer together I think it looks nice to stick a boxwood in here and there, depending on the spread of the other bushes. and in places you don't necessarily need height, Hostas look so awesome after a few years.

Just an idle suggestion. lol.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Jack, do you care that crepe myrtle are deciduous? Honestly, I like the idea. For a bit more year-round privacy you could plant 2 hollies then a crepe myrtle, 2 hollies...

Old 05-05-2009, 05:33 AM

8,328 posts, read 9,911,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Jack, do you care that crepe myrtle are deciduous? Honestly, I like the idea. For a bit more year-round privacy you could plant 2 hollies then a crepe myrtle, 2 hollies...
Are you sure about them changing over the winter? (crepe myrtles). I could've swore that they like the hollies stay green and don't lose any growth/foliage......I'll have to check into that.

Actually, I like your idea about 2 hollies for every 1 myrtle. That just increased my budget possibly, but its a good idea... thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte