Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, when I moved into my old house, my neighbor across the street & I became best friends & we were always swapping plants. If I knew that she was busy, I'd plant them then tell her what I planted & where (with her permission).
There is just something about gardening and sharing that bonds people together.

Anyone a member of the Charlotte Garden Club? They are having an event this coming Saturday:

Upcoming Events!
April 25-26, 2009 - "Art in the Garden" Garden Tour and Plein Air Painting
Party/Auction on Sun. April 26, 5- 7 p.m., Mint Museum of Art
Presented by the Charlotte Garden Club & Charlotte Art League

Charlotte Garden Club, Inc. // Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:43 AM

359 posts, read 1,143,827 times
Thanks Ani and Southbound.. It truly is a joy to see things grow well here. I had a hard time with that in FL.
Can't wait till we move and I can start my actual garden. i'll be buying alot of seeds on clearance...lol..
For now, I will have my coffee in the morning outside on the patio, making sure the plantbabies are doing well.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There is just something about gardening and sharing that bonds people together.
I think it goes back to our farming ancestors.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I think it goes back to our farming ancestors.
I have no doubt about it!!! My peeps were agrarian on one side of the family. I know where some of their farms were here! And what was a mind-blower - on the Swiss line - we traced back to the mid 1600s and visited our ancestral village several years ago. It is still a beautiful farming community! Now, that blew me away.

That particular line settled here in MECK and produced a Patriot. I love driving across MECK and IREDELL and thinking about how my ancestors helped shape this region. This is "good earth" for both cattle and farming, but it took a lot of sweat to clear land and establish homesteads.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have no doubt about it!!! My peeps were agrarian on one side of the family. I know where some of their farms were here! And what was a mind-blower - on the Swiss line - we traced back to the mid 1600s and visited our ancestral village several years ago. It is still a beautiful farming community! Now, that blew me away.

That particular line settled here in MECK and produced a Patriot. I love driving across MECK and IREDELL and thinking about how my ancestors helped shape this region. This is "good earth" for both cattle and farming, but it took a lot of sweat to clear land and establish homesteads.
I know just what you mean, Ani. Most of mine farmed but also had a trade. I've seen ancestral homes in several states & in Germany. I'm looking forward to going to the Mendenhall Plantation in Jamestown, NC & City Lake Park in High Point. I read that if the water is low in the lake, you can see James Mendenhall's mill. Historic Battle 1781 (maybe I need to wait for another drought)

That said, I'm off to clear more kudzu. Too bad I can't bring in some goats for a while.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:25 AM

359 posts, read 1,143,827 times
So I was thinking some more yesterday...When we move to our house, the lot has a big tree save area behind the house, which I love and is a big reason why I choose that lot, as you know we cannot take down any trees, i don't want to anyways, but we will be clearing out some of the underdbrush, which is allowed.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this and when it is the best time to do this? We will not hire anyone to do this. DH and I will do it ourselves..

Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darling876 View Post
So I was thinking some more yesterday...When we move to our house, the lot has a big tree save area behind the house, which I love and is a big reason why I choose that lot, as you know we cannot take down any trees, i don't want to anyways, but we will be clearing out some of the underdbrush, which is allowed.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this and when it is the best time to do this? We will not hire anyone to do this. DH and I will do it ourselves..
Depending on how much underbrush you have, I'd think the cleanest and quickest way would be to make friends w/someone who has access to a Bobcat......

Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darling876 View Post
Know what these look like: poison ivy, poison oak, & poison sumac. Use brush killer on them & do be careful handling them, even after they have been killed.

Also know what kudzu & Virginia creeper look like. They are both extremely invasive.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:50 AM

Well, not sure exactly how much brush we are talking about here - or how closely trees are spaced. We have at least somewhat the same situation. We have cleared off the small "volunteer" trees one by one, ourselves. These are small enough that an "alligator" will do the job (tool available at home stores). It has taken us several years to get things pulled out as far as brush, but hubby and I are not as young as you may be, so for us it has been a drawn out process - and only tackling it a few hours at a time.

The best time to tackle brush by hand is when you don't have to worry about snakes. If it is open enuff that you don't have to be concerned about snakes, then dig in anytime. When things die back in the Fall, I think it is a lot easier than the summer - plus the heat of the summer makes that work more challenging.

But now I may not be perceiving this area as it is. It would really help having a picture if you could post one at some point. If you are talking about what we have - fallen limbs, honeysuckle vines, "trash" volunteer trees mingled in w/ nice hardwoods . . . there is no way to get equipment into the area to clear it.

Unfortunately, one of the builders had cut down trees and rolled them down the hill wh landed on our property and creek. So that has taken a chain saw to cut things up and then a lot of effort to haul it all out. Your situation may require some of that type of work, too. I am going to hire some help to finish ours off as DH is not going to be able to do labor like this b/c of health problems.

If your situation is similar to ours - just arm yourself w/ good gloves, a shovel, clippers and trash bags and go for it.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Know what these look like: poison ivy, poison oak, & poison sumac. Use brush killer on them & do be careful handling them, even after they have been killed.

Also know what kudzu & Virginia creeper look like. They are both extremely invasive.
Oh - great suggestions. We have run across both poison oak and ivy in our brush. I still have some Virginia creeper that I battle every year. We get Roundup in the big container and spray away.

Poison oak has spores, so if you burn it, the spores can get on your clothing and in your hair!! So do be careful. We can't burn here but I know people who have done that and gotten poison on their faces, even, from the spores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte