U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:32 AM

44,764 posts, read 56,045,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Nations Ford is a sketchy part of town. A car is a must-have in Charlotte.

I know people like to joke on these boards, but I was a victim of crime in Charlotte more than any other place I've lived. I don't find it funny.

When you're alone with your three children at 3 in the morning and someone is breaking into your house, you'd like the police to get there in less than 25 minutes.
Nations Ford is FINE during the daytime, don't scare the poor woman. I wouldn't LIVE along it, or walk along it at night, but thousands of people work along it every day without any major calamity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 AM

35,458 posts, read 43,093,122 times
Do not be afraid to move to Charlotte. You will not be under threat of daily assault.

You will need a car. One of my friends is from Sweden, where cars are rare and mass transit is plentiful. She assumed she could use the busline to get anywhere as she had in Sweden. That is not possible here. You can use the busline to get various places w/in a certain time-frame, but you cannot rely on mass transit here to be available to get you all over the metro and to have schedules that are convenient all day long.

So you will need a car.

Do you know how much $$ you can spend for rent or to buy a house? We can tell you what areas will have something in your price range and will be close for your husband to go to work.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:47 PM

755 posts, read 1,650,373 times
I stand firmly by my statement. I didn't say Nations Ford was terrible, or a hell hole, I said it was sketchy.

It IS sketchy.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,658,848 times
Quote:
I stand firmly by my statement. I didn't say Nations Ford was terrible, or a hell hole, I said it was sketchy.

It IS sketchy.
So are some parts of North Charlotte, South Charlotte, East Charlotte & West Charotte.

There are good & bad in all areas. Just do your home work.

Good Luck!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:55 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,901,483 times
Quote:

It IS sketchy.
I think I was being called out...not you. Sorry.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:25 PM

79 posts, read 206,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBolt View Post
My husband been transferred to Charlotte, NC. We heard that charlotte is full of crime, isn't lady can walk alone in street? Charlotted really so dangerous?
Probably compared to NYC is similar, but I have to say when I arrived here 9 years ago I was shocked by some of the incidents even in the suburbs. I had never heard of home invasions until I came here. And there seems to be more holdups and armed robberies. The criminals seem more brazen compared to where I am from.

But things seem to have quieted down some the last couple years. When the economy was skyrocketing there was more violent crime. That's my perception, but I don't have any stats to back that up.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:30 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,658,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejersey3 View Post
Probably compared to NYC is similar, but I have to say when I arrived here 9 years ago I was shocked by some of the incidents even in the suburbs. I had never heard of home invasions until I came here. And there seems to be more holdups and armed robberies. The criminals seem more brazen compared to where I am from.

But things seem to have quieted down some the last couple years. When the economy was skyrocketing there was more violent crime. That's my perception, but I don't have any stats to back that up.
Charlotte is an odd city. There has always been more crime in the suburbs than in the Center City. Very little crime in Uptown to speak of. Overall...most of Charlotte (not all) is relatively safe. You should never let your guard down anywhere now-a-days at anytime.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:35 PM

25 posts, read 55,588 times
Hi All, thanks for all your prompt response. I really appreciated. My office office is located in Nation Ford Road, Charlotte. Our rent budget is USD1500. We just need 2 bedroom condominuim house. We prefer new condo project. At the mean while, we are considering which area to stay? But probably we will stay in uptown or downtow which near to city and shopping centre.

To Mr SouthernAtHeart,
My english is poor, I will attend english course in Charlotte once I settle down. I don't mind been confused, insulted or mislead by someone as my english

Old 04-18-2009, 08:42 PM

25 posts, read 55,588 times
Thanks of all of you response. I really appreciated.

Our budget is around USD1500, looking for new condo, 2 bedroom. We might staying in Charlotte uptown and downtown which more near to city.

Some people like to make joke to other members question, I dont care about what they said. Now what I ned to do is study hard about Charlotte, understanding more their cultural and also polish my english. Maybe this is a good chance for me to improve my english when I stay in State.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 AM

5 posts, read 13,028 times
Thumbs up Charlotte

It's a great place to live, work and play. Also, the comments from Mullman are right on the money. Best Wishes and Welcome to Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte