U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2009, 08:49 AM

7,042 posts, read 8,919,892 times

Advertisements

OK: here's the issue...it is seemingly minor....

The decorative (vinyl) shutters on my house were originally green and faded. Not being a fan of green, several years ago, I painted them burgundy. I knew that would fade, too, but, I figured painting them every few years would keep them in good shape. Used oil-based paint as I was taught ever-so-many years ago when I was the mgr of a paint/wallpaper dept in Chicago.

Well, they not only faded, but, peeled, chalked and looked horrid.

OK, I thought, I saw where Lowe's had shutters that were already burgundy that had a 25 year warranty against fading, etc. I'll buy those and we will be set. Not wanting to spend the money, I put off the task for a couple of years.

So, now, trying to find odd-jobs for DS to do, I decided to replace those disgusting looking shutters. DS took the old ones off the house, broke one in the process because it was glued. (??) and so I trek to Lowe's to buy the replacements.

To my horror, they no longer make the shutters in the size that I need, except for special order (16 x 75 inches). That increases the cost to $90.00/pr as opposed to the $35.00/pr I had budgeted.

SO..to all the DIY people out there:

1. how does one paint something exterior down here without disastrous results in just a few years??

2. can vinyl (plastic) be repaired with epoxy or something? (and still withstand the summer heat??)

3. is anyone remodeling their exteriors and has 4 sets of 16 x 75 in shutters available at a low cost?? actually, I would settle for just one at this point...

thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:53 AM

35,564 posts, read 43,729,867 times
Give me more info. I get confused easily, LOL.

At this point, b/c of cost, you want to put the ones you currently have back up? Is that correct? Are the current ones vinyl?

If you can find them at a good price, would your ultimate solution be to get new ones?

Old 04-18-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Give me more info. I get confused easily, LOL.

At this point, b/c of cost, you want to put the ones you currently have back up? Is that correct? Are the current ones vinyl?

If you can find them at a good price, would your ultimate solution be to get new ones?
Yes on all!! sorry!!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Yes on all!! sorry!!
How would you feel about ordering them online?

I had ordered samples about 10 years ago, while in Kansas, from a company that makes every variation of shutter imaginable - in both vinyl and wood. I have no clue if I even have the samples any longer, but I am going to try to dig up that info if you are interested.

Their prices were lower than anything else I had seen - anywhere. As long as you know your measurements, I would think this would be no problem to order online.

Interested? I will start looking if you are. This was a big company so I feel sure they are still in business.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 AM

CHI - I just googled shutters and found several companies. The one I am looking at right now has free delivery and some of the shutters are as low as $20 or so a pair - and the mid range is $52. Found Alcoa Louvre shutters for $35/pr

ShutterContractor.com Exterior Shutters - Search Results For 'exterior vinyl shutters'

See what you think.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Oh - I just realized - the company was Mid-America Shutters - and that link above - they sell them. I wanted the raised panel type.

ShutterContractor.com Exterior Shutters - MP - Standard Size Vinyl Raised Panel Shutters w/Mounting Hardware

Old 04-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
CHI - I just googled shutters and found several companies. The one I am looking at right now has free delivery and some of the shutters are as low as $20 or so a pair - and the mid range is $52. Found Alcoa Louvre shutters for $35/pr

ShutterContractor.com Exterior Shutters - Search Results For 'exterior vinyl shutters'

See what you think.
thanks, Ani...by the time you put in the sizes that I need....they are $108/pr.

(actually, I've been looking online and the cheapest I found was $90/pr)

Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 AM

2,560 posts, read 4,317,878 times
Did you try Home Depot? Maybe give this place a call.

Corporate Headquarters & The Building Center Pineville
Phone 704-889-8182 Fax 704-889-0085
10201 Industrial Drive
Pineville, NC 28134
thebuildingcenterinc.com

It says they have window supplies not sure if that includes shutters. Not open on the weekends though. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 AM

276 posts, read 268,894 times
Window shutters were a decorative feature on houses built from the 1870's through the 1890's. If your house is newer than that, I would advise taking them off and throwing them in the trash. Your house will look better for it.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:31 AM

Okay, this is probably not the case b/c I know you carefully research things b/f you start a job . . . but I have seen shutters that were not really the right sizes on houses. Are you measuring the existing shutters or are you measuring the exact height and width of your windows? Cause if you don't really need that width and/or height . . . it could make a big difference on shutter prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte