Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:16 AM

876 posts, read 3,792,173 times

Advertisements

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=136179 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 10:19 AM

91 posts, read 411,862 times
I don't know why they don't give us any information about the shooters...

Old 04-01-2007, 10:26 AM

330 posts, read 1,035,928 times
Wow - I hadn't heard about the shootings. My heart goes out to the families of those officers and to the entire department. My brother is NYPD in the Bronx, and I can only imagine what a difficult time this must be.

I don't want to make it seem like my car breakin was the worst crime CMPD would have to deal with, and I wouldn't even mind waiting a couple of days for an officer to come out and collect evidence. All I want to say is that Rudy Giuliani cleaned up NY by enforcing quality of life crimes like these, and that turned NYC into the safest large city in the country (I know, I lived through the change there). There is something to be said for taking every crime seriously, and I just don't get the impression that this is the policy in Charlotte. That is disappointing to me.

Again, the shooting of those two officers takes precedence over anything else. I truly hope the murderer is found and brought to justice.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
To answer the previous poster's question: NoDa is the North Davidson area of uptown. It's in transition, much like Southend 5 years ago.

OP, I am sorry about your car and your iPod. That sucks. But let me echo a prev poster: car break ins are all over. Eastover had a rash in the driveways of the million dollar homes, Birkdale (THE Birkdale, on the golf course) has had issues, etc. People in the Penninsula had a rash of large items stolen out of open garages. If it is not a violent crime, it is not cost effective for CMPD to use CSI-like tactics to get an iPod back. (Sad but true).

I know Charlotte is an emerging city, and people are not used to car break-ins and petty theft not being aggressively persued...but that's how it is in a city. Unless they catch the thieves in the act elsewhere and find your property on them, you may as well kiss it goodbye. Most friends I know in NYC and Chicago never even call the cops for such incidents anymore because truly, there is nothing that can be done anyway.

So, it is important that people start and participate in neighborhood watch programs to help thwart crime and keep all valuables locked up and out of sight if in a car. The CMPD does have an initiative to be proactive in patrolling to thwart break-ins, but it won't be 100% successful. But they are trying. But once it happens, there is very little that can be done, except to step up patrols of your area.

Sorry, and I hope that the little twerps that took your stuff DO get caught soon, some way, some how.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:30 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Look at those two extraordinarily brave guys. I'm very much pro cop and it breaks my heart every time I hear these stories. Hopefully their families can eventually find some peace.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:33 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Look at those two extraordinarily brave guys. I'm very much pro cop and it breaks my heart every time I hear these stories. Hopefully their families can eventually find some peace.
True. I got home from a Checkers game last night and had the TV on-- they broke into programming after midnight with the story. Again, meaningless violence in East Charlotte, one of the crime corridors. I feel so badly for the families. It is so sad.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:36 AM

330 posts, read 1,035,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
OP, I am sorry about your car and your iPod. That sucks. But let me echo a prev poster: car break ins are all over. Eastover had a rash in the driveways of the million dollar homes, Birkdale (THE Birkdale, on the golf course) has had issues, etc. People in the Penninsula had a rash of large items stolen out of open garages. If it is not a violent crime, it is not cost effective for CMPD to use CSI-like tactics to get an iPod back. (Sad but true).

I know Charlotte is an emerging city, and people are not used to car break-ins and petty theft not being aggressively persued...but that's how it is in a city. Unless they catch the thieves in the act elsewhere and find your property on them, you may as well kiss it goodbye. Most friends I know in NYC and Chicago never even call the cops for such incidents anymore because truly, there is nothing that can be done anyway.

So, it is important that people start and participate in neighborhood watch programs to help thwart crime and keep all valuables locked up and out of sight if in a car.

Sorry, and I hope that the little twerps that took your stuff DO get caught soon, some way, some how.
I grew up in NY. You are mistaken that this would not be reported. My complaint is that NYPD would have come out to the scene to take a report and collect any evidence, whereas I had to wait until the next day to even report this crime in Charlotte. It is all about the policing of quality of life crimes. Acting aggresively to prosecute minor crimes WILL reduce the occurance of major crime. This was proven in the nineties.

I don't really blame the neighborhood. This is a city and I expected crime when I moved here. I am sure that there is just as much a chance of having a car broken into in Dilworth as there is in NoDA. My issue is with the way CMPD handles "Minor" crime.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:52 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
While I'm sorry this happened to you, I can honestly say I've lived in a few major cities and I've never known police to report to the scene of a car break-in. I think many cities would consider this a waste of resources when more serious crimes warrant attention. Back in Jersey, it was typical to be told that a report would be taken if you came to the police station not the other way around. Not saying it's right, I would just be more surprised if the cops did come out to investigate (beyond taking a report).

Also, perhaps because I grew up in the city, I could never imagine leaving anything in plain sight for the world to see. I'm always surprised when I hear people say things like, "My laptop was stolen out of my car." My response is always the same, "What did you expect?" I feel very safe in my new community, have not seen (hear or read) anything that would suggest we are anything but reasonably safe but still I lock doors, windows, don't keep my car idling in the driveway, etc. I've had people say to me, "You're not in Jersey anymore. That sort of thing doesn't happen around here." I know better. I know enough to know that no community is immune to crime and people are delusional if they think otherwise.

SL

Old 04-01-2007, 10:57 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenc View Post
I don't know why they don't give us any information about the shooters...
It's a thing that they use up north to be politically correct. In many cases when it's a black man involved in a crime they describe him as "an individual". I believe one station had done this in the case of the elderly woman who was beaten up for her purse in Queens. One station issued a description giving only size and round about age, not ethnicity or race. This tends to happen in order to not offend.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:03 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
It's a thing that they use up north to be politically correct. In many cases when it's a black man involved in a crime they describe him as "an individual". I believe one station had done this in the case of the elderly woman who was beaten up for her purse in Queens. One station issued a description giving only size and round about age, not ethnicity or race. This tends to happen in order to not offend.
I disagree. Just the opposite in my experience. When it's a Caucasian offender the description omits race. When it's a minority or ethnic group, I am quite accustomed to hearing things like "light-skinned Black or Hispanic male." The idiocy of it all still makes me ... especially when I hear "Hispanic" being (erroneously) used a racial classification.

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte