Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 10:25 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times

Advertisements

Very interesting story screaming on the front page of the Charlotte Observer this morning. The picture's pretty stunning as well.

http://charlotte.com/171/story/70129.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,913,736 times
There's our drinking water, folks.

I love a city and growth-- RESPONSIBLE growth. Maybe that's why I am so against the Village at Lake Norman project. These developers are thinking about profit first and impact-- both environmental and otherwise-- second.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:47 AM

15 posts, read 67,140 times
I do think the development around Charlotte is going a little too fast for its own good. However, don't let the picture fool you too much. After a three inch rain, with the type of soil in the area, Lake Norman will look like that no matter the rate of development.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:58 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by beralston View Post
I do think the development around Charlotte is going a little too fast for its own good. However, don't let the picture fool you too much. After a three inch rain, with the type of soil in the area, Lake Norman will look like that no matter the rate of development.
They're crediting it to development, hence the paragraph:

Quote:
Tons of sediment bleed into some of the region's most coveted places, filling coves, smothering wildlife, turning swimming holes into health risks. The red trails often lead to the raw earth under new subdivisions and cul-de-sacs, freeways and minimarts.
Which leads to this:

Quote:
A week after a hard rain last month, nearby lake coves were still stained clay-red by sediment. Homeowners say the muddy water, and fears that silt will clog the channels, clobbers their property values.

"You can't swim in it, for one thing," says cove resident Milton Starnes. "There's no question that when you take away the waterfront, it decreases it significantly. It's the difference between waterfront property and non-waterfront property -- and I paid for this."
It's overdevelopment, way too much, way to fast.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:01 PM

15 posts, read 67,140 times
Haha, Brian, you and I seem to be butting heads no matter what thread we seem to be on.
I guess my point is that, while development needs to be carefully looked at in terms of it's effect on the surrounding area, that picture is only being used for shock effect.
That is how the lake always looks after a 3 inch rain, even with significantly less development in the area

Old 04-01-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beralston View Post
Haha, Brian, you and I seem to be butting heads no matter what thread we seem to be on.
I guess my point is that, while development needs to be carefully looked at in terms of it's effect on the surrounding area, that picture is only being used for shock effect.
That is how the lake always looks after a 3 inch rain, even with significantly less development in the area
I see your point there.

However the article does state that the builder of the Burton Creek Development got it's citation nine months after the residents were complaining about the muddy coves, hence the picture. They were even threatened with being shut down by the the NC Division of Land Resources. Essentially it sounds like that division, as well as the residents, are actually blaming the builder for that mess. I'm sure that there's been heavy rains before and yet just now they're seeing that mess. That's the point I think the article is making.

I'm sure that the shoreline takes on a tint due to the soil after a heavy rain, that looks like mud from the air and they're pointing the finger at someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte