U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:29 PM

106 posts, read 493,669 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal...We are a young couple in our thirties with a son who is one. We have our house on the market and when it sells we are definetly moving somewhere. Where is the question? This is where you guys come in. If have posted many quesions on this site about where we would "fit in". Here are the places we have considered...Miami, Cali, Colorado, Atlanta and maybe a few others but they slip my mind at he moment. The main concerns for us are the schools, cost of living, quality of life and religion. We are not ultra religious but should mention we are Jewish and this is somewhat of a concern for us. I would like to know there are other members of the tribe around

Here are the things we enjoy~ Biking, Beaches, Boating, Fishing, and just hanging out with some good friends which by the way we are lacking. I don't want to sound crass here so please pre-excuse me but I want to hang with people who are more like me. I do like to shop and like nice things but have a side to me that I don't want to keep up with the Jones'

Does that make any sense?

Is Carolina too country for us or is that a state of mind? Is there a mixture of culture etc?

Any questions or suggestions for Carolina or other places I should look into relocation would be MUCH appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 05:31 PM

362 posts, read 1,243,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalisa4444 View Post
Here's the deal...We are a young couple in our thirties with a son who is one. We have our house on the market and when it sells we are definetly moving somewhere. Where is the question? This is where you guys come in. If have posted many quesions on this site about where we would "fit in". Here are the places we have considered...Miami, Cali, Colorado, Atlanta and maybe a few others but they slip my mind at he moment. The main concerns for us are the schools, cost of living, quality of life and religion. We are not ultra religious but should mention we are Jewish and this is somewhat of a concern for us. I would like to know there are other members of the tribe around

Here are the things we enjoy~ Biking, Beaches, Boating, Fishing, and just hanging out with some good friends which by the way we are lacking. I don't want to sound crass here so please pre-excuse me but I want to hang with people who are more like me. I do like to shop and like nice things but have a side to me that I don't want to keep up with the Jones'

Does that make any sense?

Is Carolina too country for us or is that a state of mind? Is there a mixture of culture etc?

Any questions or suggestions for Carolina or other places I should look into relocation would be MUCH appreciated!
Where are you moving from? It might give people a better idea, if they know what place(s) you DON'T like, and are moving away from.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 PM

876 posts, read 3,482,790 times
Let me tell you this: Scratch MIAMI off your list immediately. The schools and crime are bad. Unless you have GOBS of money to afford the insane homeowners insurance and taxes in a nice area, and you can afford private school for your child, then it might not be bad. But for a fraction of the cost, you could have it so much better without the fear of you or your family being harmed...

Old 04-01-2007, 06:20 PM

7,929 posts, read 17,766,482 times
Ahh Lisa Lisa u and I would get along great....im 38 dh will be 40 this month we are jewish I love to shop and def nice things however keeping up with the Jones's well Ive lived with these people for alot of years and it gets old after while, since dh and I are just not like that...We are moving to Union County Marvin/Waxhaw area In june...Our house is sold and are closing june 1st here..(NJ) we cant wait..WE lived in Colorado for 5.5 years, dh and I are from brooklyn NY and lived in brooklyn alll our lives then moved to Colorado then back to ny and then NJ....Well I will say the JCC in charlotte is amazing and beautiful...there are alot of Jewish people in Meclenburg, but we chose Union because of the schools...anyway, Florida well I all can I say is we were all set to move there and well the schools are awful and dh couldnt make a livng he is in IT...and well after reading the message boards about NOT going to florida our best friends decided against it too....anyway good luck to you...

Old 04-01-2007, 06:28 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,548,969 times
Hi Lisa,
We relocated from NY in 1998 to the Charlotte area. We also are Jewish. I have found it to be very accepting here. The center of Jewish life in this area is Shalom Park, which houses the reformed and conservative temples, the JCC, the Charlotte Jewish Preschool and the Jewish Day School -- it is really something not to be missed
Feel free to PM me if I can assist in any way, from a relocation packet to a first stab at a home search for you. Best of luck

Old 04-01-2007, 06:52 PM

106 posts, read 493,669 times
Thanks for your replies. We currently live in Sarasota Florida someone had asked. We just NEED a change desperately! I am happy to hear that there are other jewish families out there like me!

On a side note property taxes and insurance are killing us.

By the way NJmomof2...Crtainly sounds like we have a LOT in common!

Old 04-01-2007, 09:39 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Let me tell you this: Scratch MIAMI off your list immediately. The schools and crime are bad. Unless you have GOBS of money to afford the insane homeowners insurance and taxes in a nice area, and you can afford private school for your child, then it might not be bad. But for a fraction of the cost, you could have it so much better without the fear of you or your family being harmed...
I was actually surprised anybody would consider moving to Florida anymore - people I know can't wait to get out!

Old 04-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Yes Lisa we do....There is alot for you to check out, u can go google the jcc in charlotte and get the web address...Taxes in Union Are lower and the schools are excellent from all my research, Ive been researching NC now for about a year and are now finally making the move...There are alot more jewish families moving to Nc and union just from what I see on the boards...You would fit in just fine...anyway if there is anything I can answer for you pls PM me..I also have an excellent Realtor if u just need someone to answer questions...go to carolinahome.com its the MLS for nc and u can search by area..then whatever u need...it was a great help for us especially once we narrowed it down to which developments we loved...

Staci

Old 04-01-2007, 09:43 PM

Yep Loves they are all moving to NC...LOL..I didnt think anyone was moving there either anymore....

Old 04-01-2007, 09:45 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Yep Loves they are all moving to NC...LOL..I didnt think anyone was moving there either anymore....
Hiya my friend Nice new folks are always welcome in my book.

Looks like you might have a new pen pal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or