U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:36 PM

17 posts, read 41,596 times

Advertisements

I have been to Charlotte the last several weekends. Each weekend including most of this weekend I have visited uptown Charlotte. I am surprised how few people are in town during the day. A few of the weekends but not all have had the younger bar crowds on Friday and Saturday night. This weekend I wonder around center city and went to the home remodeling show on Saturday and the Checkers game today. Both events had very few people. I noticed the crowd at Bobocats stadium was light in the suites and lower level . The nose bleed seats were curtained off to hide the lack of attendance. I am confused I thought that Charlotte uptown was suppose to be happening. I am disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 07:54 PM

549 posts, read 1,683,134 times
Red face Effects of urban sprawl.

Well it has to do with the center city having about over 9,000 residents.
With all the new condo project mushrooming inside "the loop" it should beef up the number to 20,000 Residents by 2012. And also the biggest culprit is "urban sprawl". After the late 60's Charlotteans avoided going to the city. This attitude has started to change over the last few years when they began to redevelop alot of the neglected center city neigborhoods. As time passes the core of the city should start to look different with more people out and about town. It would be great to have department stores and cinemas again.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 207,945 times
I am a season ticket holder for the Checkers and we had 9,500 people in attendance at Saturday's game...for MINOR league. That's pretty da*n good. The arena is built for NBA and major concert crowds so of course the hockey crowd won't fill it up. The upper sections are not curtained off to show "lack of attendance" they simply do not sell those seats---ever. Again, it's MINOR league and this is not Canada so hockey does not draw large crowds anyway, not even for NHL.

Also, there is always a lot going on that you may not see from the surface. The symphony played to an impressive audience (I was there for the Friday concert), there are several gallery events, etc. Those people are inside for the events-- so wandering around the streets does not give you a real picture of the uptown offerings. I suggest trying the Center City Partners website for more information and yes, the club scene is always busy. Overall, it was a semi-slow weekend, but there was still lots to do, IMHO.

Last edited by kmway; 04-01-2007 at 11:16 PM..

Old 04-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Status: "Life is a hard teacher gives the test 1st" (set 21 days ago)

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,374 posts, read 4,683,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
I am a season ticket holder for the Checkers and we had 9,500 people in attendance at Saturday's game...for MINOR league. That's pretty da*n good. The arena is built for NBA and major concert crowds so of course the hockey crowd won't fill it up. The upper sections are not curtained off to show "lack of attendance" they simply do not sell those seats---ever. Again, it's MINOR league and this is not Canada so hockey does not draw large crowds anyway, not even for NHL.

Also, there is always a lot going on that you may not see from the surface. The symphony played to an impressive audience (I was there for the Friday concert), there are several gallery events, etc. Those people are inside for the events-- so wandering around the streets does not give you a real picture of the uptown offerings. I suggest trying the Center City Partners website for more information and yes, the club scene is always busy. Overall, it was a semi-slow weekend, but there was still lots to do, IMHO.

I think that's a good attendance- don't think The Boston Bruins are getting that now....

Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 PM

22,068 posts, read 40,041,054 times
This was a great weather weekend and Im sure many like myself prefer to do outdoor events on the outskirts of city like the lake or carowinds. You check out speed street mid may and the taste of charlotte event for huge crowds uptown.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:44 AM

478 posts, read 1,460,044 times
No offense, but how often do people really go to Carowinds? This is simple an themed amusement park, yes? I keep reading (here) about 'the housing development is great, it's close to Carowinds' like that is a good thing?

My cousins have lived for fourty years near Knott's Berry Farm and Magic Mountain and I've never heard these increasing value of local real estate. Sure, a family can save $6 per person or whatever with a fizzy drink can but ime, visits to a themed park are once a year, max!

If one of the reasons Uptown isn't frequented is Carowinds, I'm really surprised. Not saying it isn't valid, just surprising.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 507 times
My husband and I were in town off and on the last 3 weeks for a business were are starting and to take care of our housing situation. We spent alot of time uptown in the evenings and weekends. I must say the uptown area is dead. I spent several weeks each year for the past 8 years in uptown Charlotte. I have seen alot of building but the attraction seems to before mostly foreigners as they are the largest percentage that I see on the weekends. Though on Friday and Sat. nights some of the bars draw in the young. I have seen many Bobcats and Checkers games the and until just recently a few Sting games. The attendance is not good in these events. KMWAY, I have seen the nosebleed sections open numerous times for the Checkers games. My husband and I always wonder if they can see past the big screen.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:15 AM

1,405 posts, read 3,873,204 times
Where are you guys going?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 207,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyshay View Post
My husband and I were in town off and on the last 3 weeks for a business were are starting and to take care of our housing situation. We spent alot of time uptown in the evenings and weekends. I must say the uptown area is dead. I spent several weeks each year for the past 8 years in uptown Charlotte. I have seen alot of building but the attraction seems to before mostly foreigners as they are the largest percentage that I see on the weekends. Though on Friday and Sat. nights some of the bars draw in the young. I have seen many Bobcats and Checkers games the and until just recently a few Sting games. The attendance is not good in these events. KMWAY, I have seen the nosebleed sections open numerous times for the Checkers games. My husband and I always wonder if they can see past the big screen.
I am never bored and it's standing room only where I hang out in uptown. A buddy of mine works in sales for the Checkers and we both agree that 9500 people for minor league hockey is pretty good.
I find plenty to do, plenty of people, and for people who think it's dead I always suggest moving to Chicago, NYC or LA (like my sibling did!)

Old 04-02-2007, 10:58 AM

45,119 posts, read 56,997,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
No offense, but how often do people really go to Carowinds? This is simple an themed amusement park, yes? I keep reading (here) about 'the housing development is great, it's close to Carowinds' like that is a good thing?

My cousins have lived for fourty years near Knott's Berry Farm and Magic Mountain and I've never heard these increasing value of local real estate. Sure, a family can save $6 per person or whatever with a fizzy drink can but ime, visits to a themed park are once a year, max!

If one of the reasons Uptown isn't frequented is Carowinds, I'm really surprised. Not saying it isn't valid, just surprising.
Many locals buy season passes to Carowinds and visit on a weekly basis. When we lived out in Steele Creek we went every evening one July just to float down the lazy river at the end of the very hot days. While uptown does have the Discovery Place Science Museum and Imaginon for kids, mostly uptown is for grown ups, not as family-oriented. Thus, people with families might visit the museums once a year, but go to Carowinds over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte