U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 PM

35,138 posts, read 41,633,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I keep checking: TheSunNews.com - Myrtle Beach News, Golf, Hotels, Homes, Jobs, Cars and CarolinaLive.com: Local News, Weather and Sports for Coastal South Carolina - Powered by WPDE. They both have all kinds of links you can follow for videos and more info. you can also listen to the Horry County Fire scanners here: myrtle beach horry county police fire scanner (http://signaramaofmyrtlebeach.com/scanner.aspx - broken link)

I have friends and family in Surfside, Myrtle, Conway, and North Myrtle, so if I hear anything more than what can be read online I'll pass it along.
Thanx, CG!!! I hope things will soon settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:50 PM

5,926 posts, read 6,549,455 times
My buddy and his wife who currently live up near the Mason Dixon line lost an 8 month old home in Barefoot Resort to the fire. They are both retiring next year from public service and this was to be their retirement home. Now it's listed as a total loss.

We traded voice mails today as I offered to go over there and lend a hand if they need it. I guess they got down there this afternoon, but I plan to sit back & give them some space before I call again to check up on them.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:18 PM

44,002 posts, read 53,931,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
My buddy and his wife who currently live up near the Mason Dixon line lost an 8 month old home in Barefoot Resort to the fire. They are both retiring next year from public service and this was to be their retirement home. Now it's listed as a total loss.

We traded voice mails today as I offered to go over there and lend a hand if they need it. I guess they got down there this afternoon, but I plan to sit back & give them some space before I call again to check up on them.
Sad. Hope they were properly insured and can rebuild quickly.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:48 PM

2,113 posts, read 4,099,919 times
I haven't read all 3 pages but apparantly it started from a guy who was buring a brush pile in his backyard. He thought the fire burnt out and it rekindled.

How'd you like to be that guy

It's all very sad....

Jake

Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 AM

35,138 posts, read 41,633,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

I am so sorry to hear this, Stripes. Knowing they were planning on retiring there, I would assume this has been very traumatic for them. You are a good friend for offering to help. There probably isn't really much anyone can do, tho - other than their insurance agent. Just knowing you care probably means the world to them.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:39 AM

5,926 posts, read 6,549,455 times
Well, Ani and Loves, you are correct. My friend left me another message today saying they're down in Myrtle and have been to the house. It is a total loss.

They are in great spirits (given the circumstances), but they are counting themselves fortunate this happened before they moved in fulltime (with ALL of their possessions). We all feel bad for the folks who lost their primary homes in the fire.

So, there's not too much even their friends can do to help with. He said their next move will be dictated by the insurance company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte