U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,141,704 times

Advertisements

I appreciate what cops do and understand it is a high pressure job but I am glad to see this guy charged with IM.

Police officer charged in fatal wreck | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/682141.html - broken link)

It's hard enough to deal with emergency vehicles with their lights on let alone ones that don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:23 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,315,263 times
Very mixed feelings on this whole thing. Of course I feel sorrow for the family of the girl who died, but I also feel sorrow for Officer Proctor.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:27 PM

755 posts, read 2,246,045 times
I wonder why manslaughter while the 20-year-old at Riverpointe was charged with murder?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,315,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I wonder why manslaughter while the 20-year-old at Riverpointe was charged with murder?
Probably the circumstances. I still feel the 20 year olds crime was far more egregious. He had ABSOLUTELY no excuse for what he did. At least the officer's crash can be attributed to a lapse in judgement.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:55 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,941,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Probably the circumstances. I still feel the 20 year olds crime was far more egregious. He had ABSOLUTELY no excuse for what he did. At least the officer's crash can be attributed to a lapse in judgement.
I'd say they both are lapses in Judgement.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:06 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,030,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
In that case the officer deserves a harsher penalty, IMO. I expect more from law enforcement officer. His judgment should be sharper, he should know better than to go 90 miles an hour (in a 45 zone) with no lights or siren...responding not to a fire or shooting or armed robbery...but a routine traffic stop. He was breaking the law he swore to enforce, disregarding department rules and policy as well. This officer also had no excuse for what he did and now someone is dead at his hand. What a shame.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
In that case the officer deserves a harsher penalty, IMO. I expect more from law enforcement officer. His judgment should be sharper, he should know better than to go 90 miles an hour (in a 45 zone) with no lights or siren...responding not to a fire or shooting or armed robbery...but a routine traffic stop. He was breaking the law he swore to enforce, disregarding department rules and policy as well. This officer also had no excuse for what he did and now someone is dead at his hand. What a shame.
I don't know how others feel, but I have been troubled by high speed chases involving police cars, even when a crime has occurred (like bank robbery). It puts the public at risk to have speeding cars going thru/ intersections, regardless of why they are speeding.

I agree w/ NCyank, that somehow, this sentence seems inequitable when there was no life and death reason for the police officer to have been traveling at those speeds. I would probably feel more generous about it if his speeding had been precipitated by something other than a traffic stop.

A life was lost when there was no good reason for there to have even been an accident.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:40 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,675,905 times
How do you know it wasn't life or death? Do you all know what cops go through? Look at the 3 pittsburg cops getting shot for a "non-call" a set up. Yes he screwed up and is going to pay for it. He will most likely serve jail time and lose his job. Look at the different charges, this was the right charge, he "accidently" hit someone and didn't do his job properly. Didn't follow protocal. If it had happened with the lights on (which it sounds very close to happening), he might not have been charged at all. I am sure all of us have similar protocals that we may not follow 100%, but they aren't as risky. If they charged him with a higher crime, he may have not been convicted of anything. As for the 20 year old and the camero driver, it was obvious what happened. Not comparable.

You may not like cops or firetrucks speeding, but then why does everyone complain that they aren't fast enough. I get tired of the hypocrits in this world (not specifically any posters here), that want cops to be perfect, want them to not arrest the naked guy who won't comply but then wonder why they didn't do more when he trips out and attacks. They want them to be fast but not too fast. Too many thugs on the streets, but arrest too much. Why they got a ticket, but too many speeders.

Teachers and Law Enforcement, too jobs highly needed but get very little respect and ridiculed when they are human.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:47 PM

624 posts, read 1,892,871 times
Acknowledging my obvious bias.

He clearly wasn't trying to hurt anyone. Yes the girl died, but there was no malicious intent. Man slaughter charges are still gonna run 3-5 years in prison, so his life will be sufficiently ruined because of this accident. Yes the girl died and 3-5 years is minimal compared to permanent. But who's really gaining anything? We certainly have enough people already filling our jails.

Is the family calling for more serious charges. Usually the DA will speak with the victims families prior to making the charges. If the family is satisfied with the charges there's no need to be asking for more serious charges just cuz he's a cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte