Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:08 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times

Advertisements

Well 485 is not open up here in Huntersville. It should be done by 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 07:22 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hais7474 View Post
From Mapquest it says to take I77 to I85 to I485. Does traffic get better after you get off I77?
I guess that's another way to go. 77 south to 85 south, towards Gastonia, then jump on 485 in southwest Mecklenburg down to Westinghouse. The 85 part would be going against traffic so it shouldn't be that bad in the AM, and I don't think that section of 485 carries much traffic yet. I guess it's an option to check. Personally I still think it's too far for a comfortable commute, but maybe you could drive it a few times during rush hour to get a feel for it.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:42 PM

19 posts, read 76,224 times
We live in Cornelius (a couple of miles north of Huntersville), and TRUST me... you do not want to make that commute. If you work in South Charlotte, then you should try to live there. Then on the weekends, you can drive up to the lake.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Ask "Shena" on this board, she takes the bus from Huntersville into Charlotte and she highly recommends this alternative.

Yes Sheena highly recommends the bus I love it!

Old 04-02-2007, 09:05 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Well 485 is not open up here in Huntersville. It should be done by 2013.

2013?? Why don't they get crackin here?

Old 04-03-2007, 05:54 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times
Quote:
I know this question has probably been asked a million times on this forum, but thought I would give it another whirl. I will be moving to Charlotte this month and working for Siemens which is off of the Westinghouse exit 1 on I-77. My first choice to look for a house is going to be in the Huntersville area because I will be bringing my boat down with me and keeping it on Lake Norman. I spoke to a Real Estate agent today who was trying to advise me against that because she said it could take an hour-and-a-half to commute to and from work. Is traffic really that bad on a day-to-day basis. Currently I commute about 45-50 min to work and would not mind doing the same there. Thanks for the help.
I live in Concord. It takes me 1 1/4 hours to get to work everyday around the Park Road area, you'd have to go even farther. My day is basically an 11 hour day between working 8 hours lunch and a commute. This is if there's not a huge wreck. I personally am so tired from the drive by the time I get home, I really don't do anything on a week night. You may want to remember that. Getting home, finally, will you still want to go out and enjoy your boat? I concede Huntersville is a lot closer to Charlotte than Concord is, but the traffic on 77 is relentless, and time consuming. Check out Charlotte's paper on line, and click on the traffic reports. You'll see what I mean about all the wrecks and delays.

But other than that, you'll have a swell time at Lake Norman, it's a great place for boaters.

Mrs. P

My company is moving down farther South in Charlotte (Arrowood area). I have decided though I love Concord, and find it extremely safe compared to Charlotte, I am going to head on down towards the Carowinds area to live.
I'm tired of the commute, and the constant delays on freeways due to wrecks or rain.

Good luck on your move, but if I were you? I'd rent for a bit, see how you can tolerate the commute, then decide if you want to live in Huntersville or the Lake Norman area.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:56 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron49er View Post
We live in Cornelius (a couple of miles north of Huntersville), and TRUST me... you do not want to make that commute. If you work in South Charlotte, then you should try to live there. Then on the weekends, you can drive up to the lake.
I so agree with you, but maybe he won't mind, he said he drove 40-50 minutes, but what he may need to find out sometimes the commute that he'll have to make may take up to 2 hours one way.

Mrs. P.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 27,284 times
Hmm, interesting. Thank you all for the feedback. I have heard so many different views on this subject. What some people have told me is if I am willing to make the commute earlier in the morning that it will not be as bad. I guess I am just dissapointed with hearing this bad news. I really was looking forward to living near the lake since that is where I would like to spend my spare time. I guess I just need to take the drive a few times to determine if it is tolerable. Thanks again

Old 04-03-2007, 08:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Ever since the new lanes been added between huntersville and charlotte I do not find the traffic that bad it can be a little crazy when someone boo boo's but it real good to know some back roads into charlotte on those days.
Beatties Ford
Hwy 21
Hwy 115
Harris blvd to exit 18.
And always reliable commuater express bus that rides in the HOV lane and by passes all the traffic as you relax in the reclining seats.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:58 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times
Quote:
Hmm, interesting. Thank you all for the feedback. I have heard so many different views on this subject. What some people have told me is if I am willing to make the commute earlier in the morning that it will not be as bad. I guess I am just dissapointed with hearing this bad news. I really was looking forward to living near the lake since that is where I would like to spend my spare time. I guess I just need to take the drive a few times to determine if it is tolerable. Thanks again

If you are on the interstate around 6:30am it should not be that bad. Over sleep one day and you will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte