Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:21 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times

Advertisements

The article is posted on yahoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:44 AM

248 posts, read 747,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
After a year with seven murders within a mile of our home, we moved. Most homes around us had been robbed too. I could not let our children out of my sight. I can't live like that. We left in 1975. We moved into a nice neighborhood and the government came in with something called the 235 plan which had someone living in a five bedroom home paying full price and the government moved someone beside them in the same size home with a house payment of $80. Of course the person paying full price moved. There goes the neighborhood. We stayed as long as we could to try to make it work, but in the end you have to think of your family. I see it on the five o'clock news all the time. I was told one day that on Halloween, the police would not even make calls there because it was so dangerous. This was a few years back. Nanny government ruins a nice city.
Nowhere do you mention where you lived, it doesn't even mention Charlotte. Just 1975... which was a long time ago!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,430 times
I have to agree, seeing as my son, his friend(both 18) and myself were at home minding our own business on March 31 of this year around 12:30am when 3 black men carrying a AK47,a shotgun, and a rifle, came into our home, threatened over and over to kill us if we didn't give them all our money and drugs(which we only had prescription) and stayed for an hour and got off on threatening us. They would say you wanna watch me kill your son, and did the same thing to him about me. Stuck a gun in my mouth, between my eyes, back of my head and then one of them made me perform a sexual act thank God my son and his friend did not see it though. We live in a nice middle class neighborhood, never bother anyone and because my son has been very sick have not had anyone over here since last august. THe worst part of it is, the police say that we must have been doing something wrong because home invasions only happen like ours say 2% of the time and we have been made to lok like the bad guys and now the neighbors because of the police have ben made to think we are drug dealers or something. So instead of having support of our neighbors we are now ignored and talked about behind our backs. The thing is it will only get worse as long as the police focus on the victims and what they did wrong instead of focusing on the crooks who attacked us and turned our world upside down.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 AM

575 posts, read 1,515,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debr47 View Post
I have to agree, seeing as my son, his friend(both 18) and myself were at home minding our own business on March 31 of this year around 12:30am when 3 black men carrying a AK47,a shotgun, and a rifle, came into our home, threatened over and over to kill us if we didn't give them all our money and drugs(which we only had prescription) and stayed for an hour and got off on threatening us. They would say you wanna watch me kill your son, and did the same thing to him about me. Stuck a gun in my mouth, between my eyes, back of my head and then one of them made me perform a sexual act thank God my son and his friend did not see it though. We live in a nice middle class neighborhood, never bother anyone and because my son has been very sick have not had anyone over here since last august. THe worst part of it is, the police say that we must have been doing something wrong because home invasions only happen like ours say 2% of the time and we have been made to lok like the bad guys and now the neighbors because of the police have ben made to think we are drug dealers or something. So instead of having support of our neighbors we are now ignored and talked about behind our backs. The thing is it will only get worse as long as the police focus on the victims and what they did wrong instead of focusing on the crooks who attacked us and turned our world upside down.
Must be comforting to a citizen when the police insinuate that you may be the cause for becoming a crime victim. Write a letter to the Chief explaining your situation and ask him if that's the new community policing approach to deter, investigate and apprehending criminals. Then should an arrest be made you then get to deal with the inept DA's office who would eventually plea the case to a misdemeanor and the guys would be wearing bracelets while committing more crimes.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:23 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Just wondering, which police division did this occur in?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:06 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
I see they used numbers from the FBI's national report that was "released" in '08; which would have been stats from under the legacy of our esteemed former chief, Daryl Stephens, a.k.a. "Mr. Hug-A-Thug". With him gone, I would expect the city to fair considerably better when Forbes does this analysis again.

Article: America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com

Old 04-25-2009, 12:31 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Fortunately, for the rest of us, statistics prove that armed gunmen do not randomly select regular law abiding citizens for home invasions. No offense, but that is a statistic that is based in fact. If your story is true, you either live next door to the intended victim or something is going on in your home that you are not aware of.

Quote:

Old 04-25-2009, 12:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I see they used numbers from the FBI's national report that was "released" in '08; which would have been stats from under the legacy of our esteemed former chief, Daryl Stephens, a.k.a. "Mr. Hug-A-Thug". With him gone, I would expect the city to fair considerably better when Forbes does this analysis again.

Article: America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com
That explains a lot, CB. I believe the general consensus is our new Police Chief is making real strides in addressing the crime.

Plus - let's talk violent crime here. Every crime is upsetting, but violent crime is what concerns me.

In this city, the same offenders repeat. Hopefully, the Hug a Thug mentality - and Revolving Door policy - are not in effect w/ the DA's office now that Chief Monroe has his finger on the pulse. I am impressed w/ him and feel he is doing everything possible to address crime here.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:28 AM

47 posts, read 118,034 times
Anifani, If Charlotte is such a hell hole why are you still here?

Old 04-26-2009, 08:30 AM

47 posts, read 118,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Fortunately, for the rest of us, statistics prove that armed gunmen do not randomly select regular law abiding citizens for home invasions. No offense, but that is a statistic that is based in fact. If your story is true, you either live next door to the intended victim or something is going on in your home that you are not aware of.

After such a terrible tragedy happened to your and your family are you still living there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte