U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 AM

2,696 posts, read 4,227,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
And as for the insurance covering it, mine did. I just had to pay the deductable. Depending on the costs, it might not be cost effective to file a claim, but if someone's not covered for something like a water leak, they might want to consider getting a new agent/insurer.
I should clarify, Iím talking about a main line water leak, where they have to dig in your yard, which was my problem, which is usually the issue when someone finds a mysterious huge water bill, and nothing appears to be wrong on the inside.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 7,157,745 times
Ran across this which may help others...

Follow these easy steps to determine if there is a leak.
Turn off all water inside and outside the house including showers, sinks, washing machine and any appliance that uses water.
Take the lid off the meter box. Be careful, as lids can be heavy, and sometimes bugs and small animals hide inside meter boxes.
Watch the meter .
If your meter has a triangular blue or red “leak indicator” and it is spinning, you have a leak. If there is no indicator and the actual meter dial hand is moving, water is running somewhere in your system and you have a leak – go to step 4.
If the hand is not moving, note the position of the hand and wait ten minutes. Check the meter again, if it has moved, you have a slow leak - go to step 4. If not you do not have a leak.
Locate the main shut-off valve in your house. It is usually located near the hot water heater in the basement or garage.
Turn off the valve.
Turn on a faucet inside the house to test.
If water still flows from the faucet after several seconds, the shut off valve is not working. There is no way to tell if the leak is indoors or outdoors.
If no water flows through the faucet, the shut off valve is working. Return to the meter.
Check if the meter’s leak indicator or dial hand is moving.
If the leak indicator or dial hand is still moving, water is flowing between the meter and the shut-off valve. That means you have an underground leak.
If it is not moving, then you have an indoor leak.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:09 PM

19,151 posts, read 14,001,281 times
Is there a chance they estimate your bill? They use to do that on our block and then once in awhile we would get some really crazy bill becuase they would actually "read" the meter. Might ask them.....

Old 04-27-2009, 01:19 PM

2,696 posts, read 4,227,915 times
Great find mullman. Iíll have to print that out and save it.

Oddly, right now Iím having the opposite issue as yours with my water bill. My bill usual runs around $40 a month. But my past bill was only $18. And I didnít overpay the month before. I have no idea what that is about, but Iím not complaining.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,834,469 times
Compare the meter reading from your previous bill to the actual reading of the meter now. Could be the meter reader just entered it wrong.

There is a little triangle shaped indicator that spins when water is flowing. It is very sensitive and even a very small flow will cause it to spin, making it easy to detect. The actual numeric display is not a good enough indicator to be sure there is not a leak, even over a 2 hour period.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,896 times
I, too, had a ridiculous water bill last fall, jumped from an average of $30 (small house) to $260. I contested it with the city, they came out and left a note that said not their problem, I paid it and was debating on getting a plumber out, next bill came and, miraculously, I had a $230 credit. My take is that they did not actually read the meter, or read it incorrectly, or entered it wrong. Then, the next reading, they found a reading that was less than it showed the month prior, and decided I was right. Bottom line, the billing is not accurate, sometimes they take guesstimates based on past useage, and sometimes they just do something wacky. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:23 PM

Today I received the next month's bill for $37.15 which is about right.

I feel like someone had a steak dinner at my expense last month...
The local government water monopoly is unsympathetic to my plight.

I could understand a leak getting worse over a few weeks/months, but is it possible to leak 18,000g in a month and not notice it?
I'm always working around the yard and have been under the house and I would think that much water would be incredibly obvious.

Last edited by mullman; 05-26-2009 at 05:45 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM

3,404 posts, read 4,002,758 times
I'd suspect a leaky toilet. Leaks a little, then seals up eventually. That's why you're not seeing it when you view the leak detector... it doesn't leak all the time. A bonafide break-type leak would shoot your bill up possibly hundreds.

Are your gaskets old?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 PM

N_S-

An additional 18,000 gallons in a month is ~25 gallons/hour.
All my toilets have fresh valves and no toilet is going to leak that much without bringing lots of attention.
That would be incredibly obvious, and I am not a complete idiot.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 PM

16,489 posts, read 31,347,491 times
I just had to replace the main water line to my house. My Feb and March bills were as high as Aug. I never saw any standing water except when the plumber opened the meter. My yard didn't look wet, the basement wasn't damp, but that water was going somewhere. Hope you figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte