U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:57 AM

5 posts, read 10,778 times

Advertisements

I really need help guys. Am I asking the wrong way? Did I say something taboo?

I am going to work in Uptown.
I am going to rent.
$800 to $1000 per month for rent is my budget (not including utilities)
I don't want to sit in traffic.

Where should I live?

I just feel that if someone were to ask me this question about Houston, I could tell you where to look in a heartbeat. I've asked twice and I've gotten one non-response.

Please let me know if I have done something to offend. I really appreciate any help that you locals can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,110,858 times
You can get something in the Huntersville area. Expect about a 30 min commute to Charlotte. A little longer should a wreck happen.

Are you wanting a house or an apt?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,869,285 times
Default Uptown Girl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudsGrl View Post

I am going to rent.

Where should I live?

I just feel that if someone were to ask me this question about Houston, I could tell you where to look in a heartbeat. I've asked twice and I've gotten one non-response.

Please let me know if I have done something to offend. I really appreciate any help that you locals can provide.
Oh, no, please don't think you've said something wrong. If I had to guess why you haven't had much response, I'd say it is because there are an awful lot of us suburbanites floating around in here. If you say "Union County," you'll get a million responses...LOL!

For those of us who just don't go into Uptown Charlotte often, we know things are growing and changing there, too. Just really don't have any expertise in that area. Maybe you could title your post "Uptown Girl" or something to attract the uptown folks to your post.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 AM

I want a house. I have read several threads though about how Huntersville is a nightmare on traffic if you have to go through town. Isn't S Tryon St. in south Charlotte? After reading several things for the last couple of weeks I've heard that you should live south if you work south. Is that not true? Are there any neighborhoods in south Charlotte that are safe and in my price range?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:26 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudsGrl View Post

I am going to rent.

Where should I live?

It's just that your other post was a bit exhausting in all you were asking This one is much more concise and I am sure you will get better responses.

My suggestion is that you look into the Southend area of Charlotte, which borders Dilworth around South Blvd. This is a nice area, right on the edge of uptown for a quick commute without too much traffic aggravation. You will be need to plan on at least $1000 a month, possibly a little bit more, but the location and convenience will make it worth it. There are several complexes I have in mind: Camden Southend or Camden Cotton Mills. Try googling Southend and see what comes up. Also check craigslist.com for individuals renting homes or condos.

If you wouldn't mind a 20 minute or so commute you could also look at areas around SouthPark such as these apartments: Camden Foxcroft or Camden Fairview.

Basically, you want to stay south to southeast of Uptown for the nicest, safest areas

Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,689,692 times
Try carolinahome.com for rentals.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 AM

8 posts, read 29,187 times
Try to find a privately owned place. I've always fel that you are better taken care of.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:03 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Try carolinahome.com for rentals.
Good suggestion I also like Craig's list - though you do have to be careful because people seem to be exaggerating sometimes by claiming to be in desirable places like Southpark or Cotswald when they really aren't.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:55 PM

Thank you lovesMountains! That's what I'm talking about. The stuff that I don't know is exactly what you provided me with. I have searched on craigslist and I will try carolinahome.com. I mean, I could search all day long, but without the true knowledge of what's "good" and what's questionable, my search would be in vain.

Thank you again everybody for your help!!!!!! Much appreciated.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:04 PM

6 posts, read 22,531 times
Default 7 minute commute

We are moving to NoDa. It is a fairly eclectic neighbourhood. Artsy and friendly. Definitely on the positive side of 'transitioning' and it is less than 10 minutes drive from the city centre or an easy bus ride.

Ideal if you are looking for something with a bit of individuality and character.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or