Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
I agree with you that I welcome the information. I only have a problem with the panic mongering. As we all know, many people have a tendency to over react to every situation and especially when it may affect their children. They had some parents coming to pull their children out of school this morning until the "threat passed." I'm guessing they may be rethinking the two page letter.

And....you have some parents who under-react. Nothing will keep them out of a Walmart or away from a sale. So, it was good that they had something sent home to give them a head's up and tell them what they should do. With you all the way there.

If my son were put out of school due to a closing, I am lucky enough that his after school caregiver is a teacher at his school. So, she would be out of work as well. If not for her, I have no idea what I would do as everyone in my family still works. Also, I am one of those parents who is probably over protective. Basically, I need a full background check, fingerprints, DNA sample, etc. before I'll leave my son with anyone.
I think you are so smart for wanting to know exactly who is care-taking for your son!!! You have a great situation worked out. I really wonder what most parents would do. It seems if schools shut down, then employers would need to have plans in place if a large portion of their workforce can't show up. Seems this would cause a domino effect. I wonder how many employers are prepared for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 AM

197 posts, read 485,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It seems if schools shut down, then employers would need to have plans in place if a large portion of their workforce can't show up. Seems this would cause a domino effect. I wonder how many employers are prepared for that?
The company I work for is international and has a large workforce in NC (headquartered in Charlotte). I have 80 people at this branch. There is a post on the company's employee website. Basically, urging everyone to follow good hygiene practices. They also state that you should stay home if you're ill and not return to work until you are symptom free for two days. They have cancelled all company travel to Mexico. That's about it.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
The company I work for is international and has a large workforce in NC (headquartered in Charlotte). I have 80 people at this branch. There is a post on the company's employee website. Basically, urging everyone to follow good hygiene practices. They also state that you should stay home if you're ill and not return to work until you are symptom free for two days. They have cancelled all company travel to Mexico. That's about it.
A lot of businesses may have it set up where employees can do remote access from home. That would be ideal. But gosh - w/ manufacturing, for example - if people don't show up . . .it could really affect an employer's bottom line.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:15 PM

197 posts, read 485,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
A lot of businesses may have it set up where employees can do remote access from home. That would be ideal. But gosh - w/ manufacturing, for example - if people don't show up . . .it could really affect an employer's bottom line.
Exactly. In this economy who can afford to miss work or shut down for a week or two due to employee absences? If there really is a mass outbreak we may see even more economic problems. You raise some very good points.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Exactly. In this economy who can afford to miss work or shut down for a week or two due to employee absences? If there really is a mass outbreak we may see even more economic problems. You raise some very good points.
I just pray we never have to figure all this out!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte